What's the thing you hate most about your Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVs work fine with gearboxes and clutches - you just shift when you aren't accelerating, or, often when you aren't even moving. Think of it as getting to choose among several final drive ratios available for your trip. As for the lack of an automatic unlock feature, unless you have kids, why have the doors lock when you start moving? That you *can* change.

But, the Leaf has a single ratio reduction gear transmission. The only two vehicles I know of that have multigear transmissions are the Brammo and the Formula E race cars.

The most efficient EV I know of has a single ratio reduction gear: the Illuminati Motor Works 'Seven'. It has 4 seats and consumes just ~130Wh/mile at 60-70MPH. It accelerates 0-60MPH in less than 6.5 seconds.

That's 7.69 miles per kW.

It has a 33kWh lithium battery pack, (100Ah CALB cells) and it has been driven 220 miles at ~60-70MPH and still had ~10% charge left.

A 200+ mile EV with a battery about the same size as the Mercedes B Class Electric. So, if the B Class was designed to be as efficient as the IMW 7, then we could buy a 200+ mile range EV for ~$42,000. TODAY.

If the Leaf was designed to be as efficient as the IMW 7 - it would have a range of ~160+ miles.

NeilBlanchard said:
Umm, the Leaf has only one gear. It is a reduction gear, and that is why it is like and automatic, but it is neither a manual or a automatic shift. A clutch and an EV would be a bad thing.

Not only that, but I guess you could say that the shift between ECO and D is a bit similar to a paddle shift on other recent cars

Nonetheless, my basic point is that ignoring the source of power, I miss the old school involvement that came not only with a shift and clutch pedal, but the other things which, taken together, have afforded me driving experiences I liked. The other things would include low to the ground, low vehicle weight, decent (but not overwhelming) power, good handling setup. I'm not fully sure how I feel about the loss of NVH feedback. I love the overall reduction in NVH for an EV, but there is something about a sporty driving experience that (perhaps) wants some engine sounds feedback.

I wouldn't say I "hate" the Leaf's transmission especially since the ECO/D distinction does make some interesting effort toward control, and anyway on balance I probably like it, but I have to express after driving stick for 20 years that at times I miss the better ones I've driven, in some ways.

after driving the leaf for awhile now, the last thing I want to do is shift, or even being in a car that shifts. I rode in an ice car yesterday, (a manual transmission) and I hated getting jerked around while the car was shifting. Why anyone would want to get away from the perfectly smooth power of a one speed electric motor is beyond me.

jlsoaz said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Umm, the Leaf has only one gear. It is a reduction gear, and that is why it is like and automatic, but it is neither a manual or a automatic shift. A clutch and an EV would be a bad thing.

Not only that, but I guess you could say that the shift between ECO and D is a bit similar to a paddle shift on other recent cars

Nonetheless, my basic point is that ignoring the source of power, I miss the old school involvement that came not only with a shift and clutch pedal, but the other things which, taken together, have afforded me driving experiences I liked. The other things would include low to the ground, low vehicle weight, decent (but not overwhelming) power, good handling setup. I'm not fully sure how I feel about the loss of NVH feedback. I love the overall reduction in NVH for an EV, but there is something about a sporty driving experience that (perhaps) wants some engine sounds feedback.

I wouldn't say I "hate" the Leaf's transmission especially since the ECO/D distinction does make some interesting effort toward control, and anyway on balance I probably like it, but I have to express after driving stick for 20 years that at times I miss the better ones I've driven, in some ways.
Judging by the bolded section, you sound as if you own (or owned) a Miata or similar. I will certainly miss the engagement of driving a stick when the time comes for me to change to an EV, and I want as many regen options (at least four) on paddle shifters as possible. Self driving cars will be fine for commuting and interstate droning, i.e. boring trips where you'd just as soon be doing something more useful/entertaining. But a winding two-lane where I'm pushing it? I want as much involvement/feedback as I can get. (former Datsun 2000 owner, have also driven an S2000 and assorted other fun sticks like a Cooper S, and never owned anything but a stick).

jlsoaz said:
...my basic point is that ignoring the source of power, I miss the old school involvement that came not only with a shift and clutch pedal, but the other things which, taken together, have afforded me driving experiences I liked. The other things would include low to the ground, low vehicle weight, decent (but not overwhelming) power, good handling setup. I'm not fully sure how I feel about the loss of NVH feedback. I love the overall reduction in NVH for an EV, but there is something about a sporty driving experience that (perhaps) wants some engine sounds feedback.

I drove manual transmissions for most of my driving years and I had similar misgivings. But they quickly evaporated. Form follows function. Cars were designed with multi-gear transmissions not because they were fun, but because the narrow power band of gasoline engines made them necessary. In effect, a manual transmission is a band-aid to help make up for the shortcomings of internal combustion engines. With an electric motor that need goes away.

I've driven manual trans since, and with my new perspective the enjoyment is somewhat diminished and I tend to view it now as a chore imposed by a design weakness. ;)

Nubo said:
jlsoaz said:
...my basic point is that ignoring the source of power, I miss the old school involvement that came not only with a shift and clutch pedal, but the other things which, taken together, have afforded me driving experiences I liked. The other things would include low to the ground, low vehicle weight, decent (but not overwhelming) power, good handling setup. I'm not fully sure how I feel about the loss of NVH feedback. I love the overall reduction in NVH for an EV, but there is something about a sporty driving experience that (perhaps) wants some engine sounds feedback.

I drove manual transmissions for most of my driving years and I had similar misgivings. But they quickly evaporated. Form follows function. Cars were designed with multi-gear transmissions not because they were fun, but because the narrow power band of gasoline engines made them necessary. In effect, a manual transmission is a band-aid to help make up for the shortcomings of internal combustion engines. With an electric motor that need goes away.

I've driven manual trans since, and with my new perspective the enjoyment is somewhat diminished and I tend to view it now as a chore imposed by a design weakness. ;)

Thanks, I like the fact that although some Leaf drivers disagree, there are a few who see where I was coming from even if some of those may not agree. I'll try to jump on the chance to drive an engaging enjoyable good-handling gasoline vehicle of the sort I described, and see if I can test the idea that maybe it's not quite all-that any more for me.

Unfortunately it's not always easy to arrange for this (most rentals seem to come with automatic transmission for example). Also, I want to be realistic, the Leaf is not meant as a sort of good-handling sporty low-to-the-ground vehicle, but more as a mainstream 5 person around-town car, so there are more factors than whether or not there is a shift.

To the other person who asked, my favorite manual transmission vehicle that I owned was an Acura Integra, I think around 88 or 89 Vintage. It had a good 4-cylinder engine, but was not too much car for me, and it just worked out well for me, overall. I guess in a way it was the first car I ever really owned and drove for any decent number of miles. I guess I didn't realize at the time that it was also going to define for me what I liked about driving in some ways.

I also enjoyed owning a manual transmission Saab 900 convertible, but it was heavier than the Integra and I didn't like the handling quite as much. Also it had more than 150k miles and unfortunately lived down to some of the cliches about expensive and time-consuming to maintain European vehicles.

When I go to turn in my Leaf in about 15 months, I'll consider another Leaf if they increase the range and-or if someone adds a fast charge station along my driving route. Another option that might work out well for me when I go to turn in my Leaf is if someone is offering a PHEV with great handling. I haven't driven the Volt enough to know how I'll feel about it. It's been out there for a few years so is at the top of the list if only because finally used prices may be reachable for me to buy or finance and get off the leasing and financing monthly-payment merry-go-round or at least plot out that course if I can take out a smaller loan than I would have to take on a new vehicle.

EddyKilowatt said:
I don't hate anything about it, but there are a bunch of minor annoyances like not being able to use Recirc and Defrost at the same time, already pointed out in this thread, that bug me too. Purely because they are "unforced" errors, strictly the result of bad design decisions rather than forced upon the designers by the limitations of technology.

Eddy

This is also my most hated feature. Nissan is killing me softly with fumes from gas cars around me in an electric car by making it hard for me to recirc the air. Very ironic when you think about it. Is this some cultural honor Japanese thing where if they allowed the press of recirc to work in defrost mode, some executive would have to fall on his sword? I really don't get it..

As I've posted elsewhere, put the airflow setting on floor only, and the fan on one of the middle speeds. This will both allow enough air to get through the windshield vents to keep it clear, and enable Recirculation.

This may sound crazy but the one thing I hate most is the radio software information button. It gives you absolutely no additional information. A song is playing and I want to know the entire name of the song and/or the year. My Toyota Prius Entune system does that but the Leaf doesn't. The INFO button is totally useless. It drives me crazy. Nissan, I hope you hear this and do something. I have called to complain but my complaint fell on death ears. The phone rep said call your dealer.
This is my biggest complaint. My second is hands-free system. I am not able to just say, Call Office. There are 4 or 5 steps plus once you get there you lastly have to either say call or push the call button on the screen. Are you KIDDING me. Again, my Toyota Entune is hands down so much better. But then again, its is NOT all electric.

Well, after some time with my 2012 Leaf now, my perspective hasn't really changed.
There's really nothing I hate about the Leaf, much less "hate most."
In fact, if this car had more range, that would address most of my minor issues.

The one thing I think REALLY should have been there form the beginning is a battery percentage gauge.
I'm using LeafSpy Pro for that, and it works great. But that should have been there (and really should be made available via an update. I don't buy that Nissan can't do it.. That said, Yay Leaf Spy! ;-) ) from the start.

I don't even hate the G-o-M, as it's kind of entertaining for my wife and I now when we watch it bounce up and down with our miles left. ;-) ;-)

Other than that, more range would get me where I need without some external charging and allow me to use the heater more.

There's some minor issues with the NAV/stereo/carwings (a "stop charging" in carwings would be nice..), but nothing major.
Personally, I'd like to be able to have the car auto lock the doors when I walk away.
As I get older, I keep getting to places and going.. "Did I lock the car?" The times I actually go back to check, I have locked it. So my habits are apparently good, but my memory.. not so much.. ;-)

Oh, and of course, I wouldn't mind a faster charger, as my 2012 has the 3.3kW charger.
Not a big deal at home, but there are a lot of L2 chargers around where I work and it would be nice to get more out of them. ;-)

So, minor things and things I knew before getting it mostly..

Oh, the thing that got my blood boiling recently..
Oregon is considering a rebate for new EV buyers... :shock: NOW! AFTER I bought my used Leaf!! NOW they consider it!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
:D

desiv

desiv said:
Well, after some time with my 2012 Leaf now, my perspective hasn't really changed.
Oh, the thing that got my blood boiling recently..
Oregon is considering a rebate for new EV buyers... :shock: NOW! AFTER I bought my used Leaf!! NOW they consider it!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
:D

desiv
Well, time to get that 2nd Leaf ;)

Seat belts. The driver side seat belt never retracts. It just hangs over the door opening and gets pinched by the door when I close it behind me. Worst experience I ever had with a seat belt. Even the YUGO I had worked perfectly fine.

#SEATBELTS

I actually hate that sound. I figured it's that way to stop you from killing the accessory battery while waiting to turn.

Personally, I'd like to be able to have the car auto lock the doors when I walk away.
As I get older, I keep getting to places and going.. "Did I lock the car?" The times I actually go back to check, I have locked it. So my habits are apparently good, but my memory.. not so much.. ;-)

I find that using other senses to "fix" memories helps. So when I lock the car I listen for the beep and look for the flashing lights. Then when I try to remember if I locked the car, I try to remember the sounds and sights of locking it, not the physical act. It usually works.

LeftieBiker said:
I find that using other senses to "fix" memories helps. So when I lock the car I listen for the beep and look for the flashing lights. Then when I try to remember if I locked the car, I try to remember the sounds and sights of locking it, not the physical act. It usually works.
I don't seem to have problems remembering that sound or lights flashing..
I just can't remember if I'm remembering it from today, or yesterday.. ;-)

desiv

2013 leaf I hate:

Xm button, any button on the vehicle should NEVER be attached to a pay per use service!

No puase button!

Nave systems craptastical maps <_<

Lousy Audio capabilities for playing lists and such.

And annoyed not hate is the slow charger on L2 (really wished it'd be 12Kw)

XeonPony said:
Xm button, any button on the vehicle should NEVER be attached to a pay per use service!

XM is not pay per use. If you don't have an active susbscription, all you get is the free preview channel, and you are not charged.

Back