What's the thing you hate most about your Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
XeonPony said:
Xm button, any button on the vehicle should NEVER be attached to a pay per use service!

XM is not pay per use. If you don't have an active susbscription, all you get is the free preview channel, and you are not charged.

it is a button that depends on a paid service, stop and think for a moment.

It has no place being built into any vehicle, I'd rather it be a puase button or some thing greatly more usefull.

In my review of posts, I did not see one item for which I have not solved. I use my address book a lot and keep close to 200 locations. Two things on set ups
- I have to insert home city on each entry. A default would be nice
- the location name is the address. You can only edit after you enter and save the entry first.
- icons could be more descriptive to various types. Not sure why golf course gets an icon but grocery store, shopping, parks, do not. I would have expected an icon for most categories already in the points of interest lists.

Unlike some people, I like the maps. I religiously use them to force charging station updates without having to enter each destination each time.

XeonPony said:
RonDawg said:
XeonPony said:
Xm button, any button on the vehicle should NEVER be attached to a pay per use service!

XM is not pay per use. If you don't have an active susbscription, all you get is the free preview channel, and you are not charged.

It has no place being built into any vehicle, I'd rather it be a puase button or some thing greatly more usefull.

I'm well aware of how Sirius/XM works, I've only been a customer of each since well before the two companies merged.

When you said "pay per use" you were implying that it's like tuning into the pay per view channel on your cable or satellite service, in which you get charged for tuning in. XM doesn't work that way, and if you accidentally tune into it all you get is the free preview channel if you don't have a subscription. No harm, no foul.

XeonPony said:
RonDawg said:
XeonPony said:

We'll have to remove the phone button from the steering wheel too, by that logic.

ishiyakazuo said:
We'll have to remove the phone button from the steering wheel too, by that logic.
Only if the phone button was for Verizon only. :? :lol:
Ok, not totally, but I can see what he's saying.
I think most everyone ("most") will probably pair their phone nowadays.
I think a lot of people won't do XM...
So I can see what he's saying..
It would be more like Dell putting a button on the keyboard just for Skype and ONLY Skype.
Yes, it would be useful (well, for the sake of this discussion) for Skype users, but not others.

That said, there's lots of keys on the keyboard I don't use..
There are buttons on the dashboard I don't use.
So I can understand it, but it doesn't bother me much one way or the other..

desiv

XeonPony said:
RonDawg said:
XeonPony said:

It's very useful. They send me paper on a regular basis, thinking this will one day convince me to pay for radio. The paper does have household uses, such as kindling... :lol:

the issue for me is that is has a largely (to many) useless XM button but does not have a PAINFULLY obvious and needed play/pause button for bluetooth.

The phone button is only half useful. great for answering the call USELESS for making calls (the built in voice system is beyond useless to borderline dangerous to use)

nerys said:
the issue for me is that is has a largely (to many) useless XM button but does not have a PAINFULLY obvious and needed play/pause button for bluetooth.

The phone button is only half useful. great for answering the call USELESS for making calls (the built in voice system is beyond useless to borderline dangerous to use)

I'm not an XM radio user so it is a wasted button for me. Doesn't really bother me to be there though. I do rather wish I could have opted out of all the phone calls and mail I have received from them - I did finally get them to stop calling by being very firm to have them remove my name from the call list. Mail does seem to be slowing down too now, but what a waste of paper.

I'm more annoyed by the Apple oriented audio design - being an android user it would be nice to be able to plug in and have it play music and whatnot. Even if I had to install an app to do so that would be fine with me. I'm pretty sure this is not a Leaf specific issue...

The hand's free calling - this is my first experience with such a thing in the car. Frankly I find it annoying to the point of uselessness. When I want to make a call, I dial from my phone - which seems to rather defeat the safety/distracted driver benefit. If they would simply allow you to answer the menu prompts before it lists all of them that would be good... i.e. I could just say "make call, contactA" or better yet "Call ContactA".

you mean like my phone does?

I tap the voice icon and simply wait for the "ding" and say "call dad" and it does it.

one touch.

a button to "invoke" this function on the wheel would be perfection.

tap button and simple speak "call dad" or "navigate to xxx whatever st"

for now I have an app that keeps my screen on when plugged into power and turns itself off when not plugged into power (restoring the phones normal screen off functions and timers)

so I only need to tap a single finger to access my voice commands.

0IFDQZFl.png

you can see it at the bottom left corner. just tap that and speak away.

nerys said:
(the built in voice system is beyond useless to borderline dangerous to use)
Here's how my favorite sequence of interactions with the LEAF's hands-free system goes (apparently, I never learn - I've done this at least half a dozen times..):

Me (on departure from work): "I think I'd like to phone in an order for Thai take-out..."

Me: <press "Voice command" button> (the one with a picture of a giant nose)

LEAF (helpfully) : "Would you like to access 'Phone' or, 'Navigation' ? "

Me (from painful memory, speaking as clearly and loudly as I can possibly manage) : "PHONE"

LEAF : "Destination Home! Starting route guidance!"

Me: "You $#$@#$#$!! That wasn't even on the menu! Frak; how do you cancel a route again... right ... Menu->Route->Cancel... Crap.. not while I'm moving, can't... OK, well, going into this ditch slowed me enough for the cancel to be allowed. ... "

I use my button on my steering wheel for changing radio stations and I won't pay for XM and think it's useless to have, I have to listen to that preview crap 3 times (XM1 XM2 XM3, oh and I had to cuss XM out to stop calling me to buy their service for the 1000'th time) before I get to a station I want.

The horn is weak yes, but I'm good with the interior and I bought a Nissan Altima Donut spare tire so I have a spare.

The Voice Recognition doesn't work for me either, I haven't noticed any blind spots. What pisses me off the most ??? I bought my car in March and I am still waiting for the F%^&%$ DMV to send me my CAV stickers, bloody nothing and I sit in that traffic every night going home, carpool lane just screams at me to come on in but nope !

Oh and I am still not able to charge to 100% !

Levenkay said:
nerys said:
(the built in voice system is beyond useless to borderline dangerous to use)
Here's how my favorite sequence of interactions with the LEAF's hands-free system goes (apparently, I never learn - I've done this at least half a dozen times..):

Me (on departure from work): "I think I'd like to phone in an order for Thai take-out..."

Me: <press "Voice command" button> (the one with a picture of a giant nose)

LEAF (helpfully) : "Would you like to access 'Phone' or, 'Navigation' ? "

Me (from painful memory, speaking as clearly and loudly as I can possibly manage) : "PHONE"

LEAF : "Destination Home! Starting route guidance!"

Me: "You $#$@#$#$!! That wasn't even on the menu! Frak; how do you cancel a route again... right ... Menu->Route->Cancel... Crap.. not while I'm moving, can't... OK, well, going into this ditch slowed me enough for the cancel to be allowed. ... "

For me it always things "phone" is "pause". Very annoying so I never use it. I can voice dial on my moto 360 easier.

Sondy132001 said:
I use my button on my steering wheel for changing radio stations and I won't pay for XM and think it's useless to have, I have to listen to that preview crap 3 times (XM1 XM2 XM3, oh and I had to cuss XM out to stop calling me to buy their service for the 1000'th time) before I get to a station I want.

The horn is weak yes, but I'm good with the interior and I bought a Nissan Altima Donut spare tire so I have a spare.

The Voice Recognition doesn't work for me either, I haven't noticed any blind spots. What pisses me off the most ??? I bought my car in March and I am still waiting for the F%^&%$ DMV to send me my CAV stickers, bloody nothing and I sit in that traffic every night going home, carpool lane just screams at me to come on in but nope !

Oh and I am still not able to charge to 100% !

XM called me once. Maybe it's because they harassed me a lot on my last car and I never gave in but I was shocked I never heard from them again. I simply said there's nothing you could get to have me pay for it unless it was $10 a year, it's an electric car, I can't drive out of range of any of my favourite radio stations and like getting local traffic alerts. Never heard back from them again.

I do find it annoying to have to cycle through XM but also the other options just to get to what I really want, FM2 or FM1. Is it really that hard to program 12 FM stations in one menu? It would be super simple to just let you program any amount you want and cycle through only the programed ones.

minispeed said:
it's an electric car, I can't drive out of range of any of my favourite radio stations

This is the thing that gets me about XM on the Leaf. The whole point (IMHO) of XM is to be able to listen to continuous music no matter where you drive. The Leaf cannot leave the range of my local FM towers anyway, so it's useless.

The XM rep who called me asked me at what price I would consider subscribing, to which I replied "Free. The car cannot leave the range of my local FM broadcasts and I am happy with them." I never heard from them again.

GetOffYourGas said:
minispeed said:
it's an electric car, I can't drive out of range of any of my favourite radio stations

This is the thing that gets me about XM on the Leaf. The whole point (IMHO) of XM is to be able to listen to continuous music no matter where you drive. The Leaf cannot leave the range of my local FM towers anyway, so it's useless.

The XM rep who called me asked me at what price I would consider subscribing, to which I replied "Free. The car cannot leave the range of my local FM broadcasts and I am happy with them." I never heard from them again.

I don't know - I do in fact drive out of range of some stations (and into others) - I guess I may live on a fringe area? I did give the XM a try, but then it would cut out when I went under tunnels/bridges and frankly that annoys me quite a bit. I was also very surprised to hear advertisements on a paid service - I thought that being ad-free was part of the point (?). Sound quality wasn't better IMO. So, all in all I think "Free" is about all it would be worth to me and I suspect I'd still not use it as my primary. However, I'm sure there must be folks willing to do so - they are still in business after all.

I believe that if/when I buy another car that comes with this (I'll have to ask to know) I will see about specifically telling them NOT to tell XM folks about my name/phone/address and see where that goes.

Well, I will say that Eastern MA is a much larger / more populated area than Syracuse. Here we have the city proper, some surrounding 'burbs, and then it gets very rural very quickly. I don't often venture out side of the urban/suburban area unless I am going much farther than my Leaf will allow. Combined with the fact that we have no QCs within my driving range, I really don't ever lose an FM station in my car.

I have no qualms though, about Nissan integrating XM into the radio, including the dedicated button and having to scroll through it 3x when hitting the "source" select on the steering wheel.

I dislike the rear seat headrests blocking about 40% of rear window visibility. I guess I need to get an aftermarket backup cam.

But I guess the best thing to do is remove them and keep them in the back storage until needed.

With cool weather returning here, and with it windshield fog, my biggest gripe remains the inability to use recirculate with defrost/defog. The best two remaining options are:

* Leave the Mode set on floor/defrost, and when I need to block exhaust fumes, press first Climate Control On/Off, then Recirculate. Pressing Climate Control On/Off again restarts it and automatically opens the air intake. The windshield will, of course, have fogged up in the interim.

* Leave the mode in Floor only, and the fan on 2 or 3, and press Recirculate as needed. Much easier, but when the windshield fogs during and extended period with the intake closed, it unfogs only very slowly in this mode.

Thanks, Nissan for protecting me from my own silly desire to have both a fog-free windshield and breathable interior air. When I die in a crash caused by having to play the climate control system like a keyboard, I intend to haunt you all.

- The horn
- The glovebox that doesn't hold anything
- Knowing that, when winter comes, I'll need to bring in the tent heater to maintain range in my LEAF S and prevent frostbite

But I still love the LEAF!

Back