Using a Leaf Battery and Drive Train to power machinery (as low cost as possible)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galstaf

Hey all,
I have searched a fair bit on this and really can't find what I want.
I would like to buy a crashed Leaf and take the battery, charge system, drivetrain etc to drive machinery offgrid. (in this case a mill). I have seen folks doing this with traditional ICE motors, but I want something clean and more modern that can be charged from a PV array.

As such, I need to control the motor and monitor the battery but not really anything else (don't need any of the usual car stuff).
So I don't need anything features than:
  • ON
  • OFF
  • Forward / Reverse
  • Speed control via a rheostat type dial (not a foot pedal).
  • BMS and State of Charge
No no regen, lights, blinkers, brake lights or any of that kind of stuff.
I basically need what you used to get with an off / on / rheostat with the old brushed motors.
I have seen reference to some commercial controllers that will add about $1000 to the cost of parts and have great features that I just don't need.
Given the basic needs, is there a way to do this more simply and inexpensively? I have decent electrical skills, but not much in the way of writing code, so an open source pre-made setup would be ideal.

Has anyone done this or know of someone who has? Or better still someone that is selling a kit that would achieve this?

Back