Vanity License Plates ideas???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I beat this guy to it, or did he really want LOL OIL all along?

tesla-lol-oil-630.jpg

bye_oil.jpg

Probably a stupid question, but here goes.

I'm thinking about getting a vanity plate for my Leaf. Here in AZ, they will give you two plates, but you are only required to put one on the back. As much as I would want to put my plate on the front and the back, I'm wondering if it makes more sense to leave the front plate off. With all the talk about aerodynamics (specially designed headlights, side view mirrors, antenna, etc...), I can't imagine having a flat rectangle of metal on the front helps things much.

So, am I crazy for considering only putting a plate on the back?

A lot of people share your opinion. Not an option in CA where both are required.

I certainly wouldn't put a front plate on if I didn't need to.

On the other hand, the rubber whiskers I'll be adding will add more drag than the front plate, I imagine. :shock:

IBELEAF said:
Curious if its possible to sell vanity plates in WA

?? Sell?? - you mean like selling it from one person to another. I imagine you could do this by moving the plate to some cruddy car that you own, and selling the car to someone. You might also be able to coordinate with one person giving up a plate and signing up for it at the same time.

I am surprised no one booked LEAF vanity plate in WA while VOLT already taken. Sounds like a no brainer.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
?? Sell?? - you mean like selling it from one person to another. I imagine you could do this by moving the plate to some cruddy car that you own, and selling the car to someone. You might also be able to coordinate with one person giving up a plate and signing up for it at the same time.

Interesting idea. I was just curious if it's possible or there is some official way to do that. I guess not

Dav said:
A lot of people share your opinion. Not an option in CA where both are required.

I certainly wouldn't put a front plate on if I didn't need to.

On the other hand, the rubber whiskers I'll be adding will add more drag than the front plate, I imagine. :shock:

I haven't had a front plate on one of my cars for 5 years. I've gotten one ticket because of that...in the LAX parking lot while I was out of town!!! :evil:

JasonT said:
As much as I would want to put my plate on the front and the back, I'm wondering if it makes more sense to leave the front plate off. With all the talk about aerodynamics (specially designed headlights, side view mirrors, antenna, etc...), I can't imagine having a flat rectangle of metal on the front helps things much.

I think the aerodynamic penalty of having a front license plate will be extremely small on the Leaf. The extra drag is probably on the same order of magnitude as having a few dozen bug splats on the hood and windshield.

Why do I think it's so small? Well ...

Notice the big lip on the car above where the front license plate goes. This sort of traps the air creating a relative "dead zone" of air where the license plate is.

Further, any air that is moving in that area must move roughly perpendicular to the direction of travel of the car whether there is a license plate there or not. It can't go through the bumper! Since the air has to move that way anyway, the license plate doesn't change the flow significantly so it doesn't create significant drag.

But you say, what about the air that flows into the motor compartment? An American size license plate sticks down significantly into this area.

Well, that air is already going to run into a lot of things in there. It doesn't really matter if it hits the license plate of the front of the motor, either way it is pushing back on the car. The argument could even be made that if the license plate deflects air from going into the motor compartment, it could improve the aerodynamics. Consider if the whole slot under the bumper were closed off, this would likely improve the aerodynamics. A partial blocking of that area might, or might not, improve aerodynamics.

In short, I think it's a cosmetic issue. If you like the looks of a front license plate then put it on. Any difference in aerodynamics is too small to notice.

Remember when cars used to be designed with a spot for the front license plate?

What the heck happened? It's as if the stylists refuse to acknowledge the fact that front license plates exist. You get some hokey bracket as an afterthought and the plate invariably blocks some large portion of what was meant to be air intake. The aesthetics that the designers strove to achieve with their plate denial, is ruined anyway.

I've been in CA for 18 years now. No front plate, and no tickets so far.

Last I checked in CA (about 1996 or 1997), if the manufacturer did not provide a mount for a front plate, then you were not "required" to mount the front plate. However, mounting was recommended, and I was advised to carry the 2nd plate in the car.

But, things might be different now.

My August 2009 Prius was delivered with a plate "mount" hastily screwed onto the front end. Annoyingly, it is slightly off center, but removing it would have left screw holes. Reportedly, some cars were delivered with this "frame" just tossed into the car, and the owner could decide how/if/where to mount it.

According to CA V.C. Section 11713.17, (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:
(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 365, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005

I'm a bit slow at these, but I don't think these possible license plates have been mentioned (probably for good reason).

GAS-X

GRNLEAF

MAPLE -- or any broad leaf plant

TEALEAF

GOLD

NEW -- installed upside-down, as in turn over a new leaf (if I think I need to explain it here, it can't be good :oops: )

If you get a red Leaf:

AUTUMN

ATMLEAF -- probably doesn't work, people will want to get money from your car.

I have a suggestion for those getting personalized plates and yet you have more to say to the world. Really, I got this idea from darelldd on his http://evnut.com website. He had a license plate frame made that says "Let's Play Find the Tailpipe". My plate says "LEAF EV" and I will have a frame made that says "Charged daily by Solar Power". There was a plate frame kiosk at the mall a few months ago. They also have a website where you can order custom frames and other things.

The company is called FSSI, Inc. and their website is : http://www.AutoLicensePlatesAndFrames.com

It is located here in Tucson, but they ship anywhere.

email is: [email protected]

I imagine some of you will get very creative with that many words!!

Back