Help diagnosing dead 12v (as opposed to some other problem) SOLVED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but overcharging is just about the last thing a Leaf accessory battery experiences as a cause of death. I think that you're close, though. I believe that it's all the times the 12 volt battery gets very low and is then charged up, but it isn't the charging that kills it - it's the being run nearly dead. Lead-acid batteries HATE that...
If you put a voltmeter on the battery every time you push the start button and ever time you charge, the voltage will jump above 13 volts for a few minutes. Unlike an ICE there is no energy drain when when you start a Leaf so there is not much of a load on the battery. Other reason I have for thinking we are over charging is that I have a 1 kilowatt off grid solar that I USE to charge my Leaf with hooked to a timer that cycled on and off 24 times a day. Cooked the 12 volt battery in 10 months. Not doing that any more.

Other reason I have for thinking we are over charging is that I have a 1 kilowatt off grid solar that I USE to charge my Leaf with hooked to a timer that cycled on and off 24 times a day.
Yes You are Overcharging. You have a non-standard charging setup that nobody else here has ever used. So your experienced failures have nothing to do with a normally operated Laef.

There are numerous posts on this forum about the 12V failing due to under-charging that never de-sulfates the plates and results in capacity loss and shortens the life.

Yes You are Overcharging. You have a non-standard charging setup that nobody else here has ever used. So your experienced failures have nothing to do with a normally operated Laef.

There are numerous posts on this forum about the 12V failing due to under-charging that never de-sulfates the plates and results in capacity loss and shortens the life.
Seems like under charging is unlikely since every time you charge and use the car over 13 volts is applied to the battery. Check your self with a volt meter

Back