The cost of a blown tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robcomptec

I drove over some road shrapnel, and it punctured the side of the right-rear tire.

The tire pressure sensor worked properly, and I pulled over to inspect the damage.

I figured I would use the repair kit, and get home.

The temporary repair worked, and I got home.

I went to the dealership the next day, to get a new tire.

The total cost to repair everything: $600.00 (approx)
Here is the breakdown:
Tire pressure sensor: $180
The tire and mounting: $200.00
Restoring the repair kit: $180.00 + $29 for the replacement hose.

This is no fun at all.

I have opted to get the tire pressure sensor and the new tire.
I am going to replace the repair kit with the a standard can of fix-flat, and a regular, compact air compressor.

Going to a dealer for a tire issue is probably not the best approach to low cost.

There are zillions of tire shops in the USA. My local Navy Exchange is advertising the Bridgestone ECOPIA EP422, size P215/60R16 for $116.99, with 65,000 miles warranty. No sales tax.

I don't know if there is a cheaper solution to the tire sensor. I'd shop around for other options. I called NAPA and a tire store, and they didn't have them.

Some TPMS trivia I found:

http://www.nissantpms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The manufacturer of the Nissan TPMS is Schrader Electronics.

It's a wireless system using radio frequencies (433 MHz) to transmit tire pressure reading to the TPMS monitoring system in the car. The TPMS sensors are digitally coded (a serial number of sorts) so 2 cars driving next to each other do not pick up the wrong TPMS sensor reading. The TPMS sensor contains a battery and should be good for as long as 7 to 10 years depending on mileage. Why? The TPMS sensor has a battery saving mode that only activates once the wheel in spinning. If you drive alot, the batteries will die sooner.

Why TPMS?
The US government mandated the use of TPMS on vehicles as part of the TREAD act. The act was created in response to the Firestone tire tread separation issue of the late 90's which partly blames underinflated tires as the cause of blowouts. All passenger vehicles under 10,000lbs gross weight produced after Sept 2007 are required to have the system.

What does it do?
Each wheel has a pressure sensor and transmitter located inside which is connected to the valve stem. The system monitors the pressure of the tires (some cars monitor the spare tire as well... the Rogue does not have this) and provides the driver a warning if any tire is underinflated. In the Rogue, the alarm threshold is 26psi and the vehicle must be travelling more than 16mph (25 km/h) before the pressure is checked.

Special Precautions:
- DO NOT use tire puncture sealant as it could damage the sensor.
- Removal of the OEM tires can damage the sensor. The sensor must be removed prior to dismounting the tire from the rim. There is a specific procedure for doing this and the dealer and tire shops familiar with TPMS systems should be able to do it properly.

The low tire pressure warning light in ON:
- Check the tire pressure using an accurate tire gauge and ensure they are inflated as per the sticker on the drivers side door jamb. The warning light should clear after driving for 5 min above 16mph (25km/h).

- If the outdoor air temperature drops suddenly, the tire pressure will drop and may trigger the TPMS. Re-adjust the tire pressures.

robcomptec said:
The total cost to repair everything: $600.00 (approx)
Here is the breakdown:
Tire pressure sensor: $180
The tire and mounting: $200.00

This is no fun at all.

Wow. $390 just to use the repair kit, plus the tire. That's just wrong. There should be a warning on the unit!
The roadside assistance is included with the car so it seems that the repair kit is truly for emergencies at that price.

What exactly is involved in "restoring the kit", and why the replacement hose?
Can't the tire pressure sensor be cleaned and re-used?

Bill

I carry a standard tire repair kit of the rope vulcanizing type, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a small 12v compressor, in lieu of Nissan's solution. It gives me better piece of mind and is much cheaper if I should actually ever need to use it. Oh, and it doesn't damage anything or need replenishing...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYSR9E?tag=ustal-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon has the Nissan tire pressure sensor (TPMS):

Schrader AirAware 20161 TPMS Sensor fits Nissan (1-pack) Massive Saving, Order Now! It is truly an amazing Low Price Schrader AirAware 20161 TPMS Sensor fits Nissan (1-pack).I highly recommend Low Price Schrader AirAware 20161 TPMS Sensor fits Nissan (1-pack) for anyone.I absolutly love it!

$58.57

$120 Tire
$ 60 TPMS sensor
$ 50 Dealer to activate tire sensor, however most tire shops would probably do this for free

$180-$230 total, plus tax and install at a tire place, NOT A DEALER

I would NOT USE the goop in a can, ever. Call the Nissan tow truck, or CARRY A SPARE !!!!

TomT said:
I carry a standard tire repair kit of the rope vulcanizing type, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a small 12v compressor, in lieu of Nissan's solution. It gives me better piece of mind and is much cheaper if I should actually ever need to use it.

Yes, awesome idea. I just did that a few days ago with two nails. Throw the can of green goop away!!!!

mwalsh said:
TonyWilliams said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYSR9E?tag=ustal-20

For sure? I plug the LEAF in on the "make sure it fits" app and it says it doesn't.

Well, no, not for sure. I can't imagine that Nissan doesn't fit the same sensor on every car, or that the LEAF would get any different sensor than the Versa.

But, stranger things have happened. I assume that many times, when they say it doesn't fit, really means that the LEAF is a new model and the supplier hasn't verified that it fits.

For $60 versus $180, I'd take the chance, and just confirm that it was returnable.

If the OP gets this one, report back if it worked, or not !!!

Oh, looks like one more tiny issue:

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

Aug 12, 2011
By Ed Beller
Hard to give a review on this item. It is an identical replacement. (edit: on whatever Nissan he has) I had it installed but later found out it needs to be programmed. Call a couple of dealerships - cost $50 for the programming. So far the electrical tape is blocking the flashing light from my view and may do so for awhile as I will have to make a 200 miles round trip to get it programmed. Wish I had known this before ordering but I can't blame the seller.

I know on the smart they use the same system -- although it's a PITA, I use AAA for free tow to my house and fix it there myself; of course not always possible but as this was the wife's car for a time we did that once. The MBZ dealer did kind of warn me as well as they provided an extra cost 'tire hazard' service contract on these 'no spare' cars (can't remember how much) that I passed on. As I recall the TPMS valve was about $30 and OEM tire was $110 plus another charge from the tire dealer (where the tire was direct shipped to) to mount and balance -- my thought is, like a cracked windshield that's covered under the comprehensive portion of your auto policy wouldn't a blown tire be covered as well? Perhaps others have tried but something to think about -- say you run over a big pothole and dent the rims as well as blow two tires on one side --- would think it would be covered or at least anything above your deductible ($600 would do that).

TonyWilliams said:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYSR9E?tag=ustal-20

Schrader AirAware 20161 TPMS Sensor fits Nissan (1-pack) Massive Saving, Order Now! It is truly an amazing Low Price Schrader AirAware 20161 TPMS Sensor fits Nissan (1-pack).I highly recommend Low Price Schrader AirAware 20161 TPMS Sensor fits Nissan (1-pack) for anyone.I absolutly love it!

$58.57

$120 Tire
$ 60 TPMS sensor
$ 50 Dealer to activate tire sensor, however most tire shops would probably do this for free

$180-$230 total, plus tax and install at a tire place, NOT A DEALER

I would NOT USE the goop in a can, ever. Call the Nissan tow truck, or CARRY A SPARE !!!!

Google search is your friend -- TPMS cost and OEM part number discussed on this thread -- the LEAF TPMS matches those used on the Quest and 370Z base car but NOT the Versa

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5782

TomT said:
I carry a standard tire repair kit of the rope vulcanizing type, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a small 12v compressor, in lieu of Nissan's solution. It gives me better piece of mind and is much cheaper if I should actually ever need to use it. Oh, and it doesn't damage anything or need replenishing...
Doesn't the Nissan compressor work just like the standard 12v compressor? OK, you have an option to feed the slime though it, but if you don't, then it should work just like a regular compressor, no?

Here is the tire repair kit I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-Tire-Plug-Kit/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1318355110&sr=8-4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Pliers:

http://www.amazon.com/Sheffield-58502-Secure-Pliers-6-5-Inch/dp/B002BYHWLI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318356692&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the compressor:

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-RP1200-12-Volt-Inflator/dp/B000642GAW/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1318355547&sr=1-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note: I bought a separate compressor because, after playing with the Nissan compressor that came with the car, I simply did not trust it to do the job of straight inflation if and when I needed it...

robcomptec said:
I figured I would use the repair kit, and get home. The temporary repair worked, and I got home.
If you hadn't used the repair kit (the slime), then the tire pressure sensor wouldn't have been ruined, right?

robcomptec said:
Not sure what's there to restore, except a new bottle of their slime?

robcomptec said:
I am going to replace the repair kit with the a standard can of fix-flat, and a regular, compact air compressor.
Using the standard can of fix-a-flat can ruin your TPMS again and will cost you $180 again. Next time, I'd rather just call for a free tow on Nissan's dime to a dealer so that the only thing you'd have to pay is the over-priced tire. No TPMS replacement and no restored repair kit.

redLEAF said:
TPMS cost and OEM part number discussed on this thread -- the LEAF TPMS matches those used on the Quest and 370Z base car but NOT the Versa

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5782

So, the plot thickens!!!

It will be interesting to see what does fit and work, because the Versa does not share the same wheel mounting pattern that the LEAF does share that with the Altima, 370Z, Infiniti G37, etc, with 5 lug/4.5 inch (114.3mm) mount pattern.

But, that may not make a difference, either.

I didn't bother with a jack. The car sits high enough that I can reach any spot on the tread for repair simply by rolling it slightly forward or backward.

By the way, in case it is not obvious, the pliers are to pull the nail or whatever out of the tire before repairing it. The built-in side cutters are also used to cut the sealing rope flat with the tire (not strictly necessary since it will eventually wear down, but it does make it neater). I also carry a small towel to kneel on...

hpage said:
Thanks, TomT for you repair kit content list. Question: what did you do for a jack? Thx.

For a cheap 12V "stowable" tire inflator (compressor), I've been very happy with a $20 YN600A Ryobi from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202078693/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used to have a large 240v compressor at home, but cleaned out the garage and bought this.

TomT said:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-Tire-Plug-Kit/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1318355110&sr=8-4.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Do I understand correctly that the "Slime" is a brand name and that kit doesn't use the actual stuff?

I never would have guessed that replacing a tire sensor after "sliming" it would be so expensive. I like your idea for a tire repair kit; flats are a fact of life on the dirt roads I drive here and usually it is a nail or screw.

Yep, just the brand name. No actual "slime."

dgpcolorado said:
TomT said:
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-Tire-Plug-Kit/dp/B000ET525K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1318355110&sr=8-4.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Do I understand correctly that the "Slime" is a brand name and that kit doesn't use the actual stuff?

Back