Tires RUN FLAT vs EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerekHyland

Hi everyone, I have just bought a second hand 2nd gen Leaf (2018 registration), built I presume sometime late 2018).
I live in Chile, so many options are not readily available.
According to initial VIN number characters, this is an american/canadian built car, most probably brought into the country form homologation purposes. Current models on sale are of european origin.

The car has it's original tires, (manf. oct 2018) with just under 40.000 km (25.000 miles). They need replacing. Current tires are Michelin X-Green? Energy A/S (original equipment?) P215/50 R17

These tires are not available locally, and by what I have read, not the best option for the car. So what to replace with?
This brings me to my first question... the car has no spare, so would a RUN FLAT be the answer?
I understand, may have interpreted wrong, but an EV tires is not a RUN FLAT tire, or there is no such thing as a EV RUN FLAT tires (very confused here). Would an EV tire, given the extra strength bulk into them, as as a sort of RUN FLAT tire?
Discarding RUN FLATs, what EV tire would you recommend (all season, no such thing as winter tires in Chile :) )

Now then, given that there is no spare tire, what are my options... and emergency repair kit (compressor + sealant)?
Although some sealants are not compatible with tire pressure monitors?

If there is no suitable EV tire in the local market, what std tire would be recommended (specs basically)

Final question, could I, or has anybody installed slight "higher" tires, say 55 (theoretically, that is just within the 3% limit, but given the tighter clearance tolerances of an EV, would it even fit?). Rationale behind this is that chilean roads, aren't the flattest, and the car does sit rather low.

Thanks!

Generally speaking runflats are garbage. Look into tires with a high weight rating (90 or more) ”EV” won’t ususally mean anything more. Maybe look into van tires for higher weight rating and taller tires.

The Leaf has pretty much the same suspension as the Juke, that might help in finding some tires, anyway at least slightly taller tires should be no problem.

For repairs, I carry those sticky brown strips and a 12v air compressor. Maybe look in to a spare tire (i.e. from the Juke) if you’re worried.

I once used one of the small spare 'donut' tires from an Altima on my 2017 Leaf without issue. I think any Nissan tire would have the same bolt pattern so the only things to worry about for a spare are the diameter and offset. The diameter is important but I think the offset is less important since the max speed rating of the small spares is usually quite low.

The idea of having a patch kit and inflator on board is a good idea too and much lighter.

Any tire of the appropriate size will work on the Leaf but they are heavy cars for their size so a high weight rating is good to have. Inflating the tires to 40psi or more helps with both efficiency and weight capacity. Low rolling resistance (LRR) increases the efficiency of the car and will increase range but it only makes a 10% difference or so in my experience.

Thanks for replies so far...
Has anybody used 215/55 R17 on their LEAF?
Any experience using emergency spray can inflators/sealants. I have concerns that it may obstruct the Tire Pressure Monitor. Some cans I have seen specifically mention this...

I used a set of Bridgestone DriveGuard run flat tires as the first replacement set on my 2019 SL Plus. They do give peace of mind, but have higher rolling resistance than other tires so they reduce the range. Since the sidewalls are stiff, the ride is a bit more harsh than with conventional tires. I found wet/dry traction and handling to be better than the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S, but not as good as the Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires I purchased when the DriveGuards were worn out. I switched to 215/55 R17 tires for the last set on the 2015 and have been using 215/55 R17 tires starting with the DriveGuards on the 2019. They fill the fender wells better and give slightly more ground clearance as well as slightly higher top speed. I would not recommend them if there is a chance that you would need to use tire chains, but I don't have that issue in Phoenix.

I carry tubeless tire plug kits along with the Nissan OEM air compressor (which has a bottle of sealant with it). The compressor is a good little 12V unit and works well without the sealant bottle attached. I have had several flat tires over the years and was always able to plug the hole(s) and pump the tire up with the compressor to allow driving to the nearest tire shop (or home). I never use the sealant bottle because I don't want to make a mess for the tire shop to deal with and do not want to ruin the TPMS sensors.

Back