The cost of a blown tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KillaWhat said:
I got a chance to use my Pep Boys $7.99 tire repair kit today.

Was WAY out of position, sort of racing 30 miles home to meet my kids school bus, when I heard the dreaded Clicka - Clicka - Clicka coming from the left rear tire.
Pulled over, and watched the air race out and leave me on the rim.

I had JUST stopped by Pep boys on Friday, and got a cheap tire plug kit, and a $15 compressor and stuck them in the Leaf.

Tuesday afternoon I'm flat as a pancake, 30 miles from home, with no spare.

Pulled out the little kit, plugged in the compressor so It could start, and fortunately I had a pair of substantial angled channel lock pliers still in the back from working on the HID upgrade.

Those things just became a permanent addition to the "Kit". Could not have done this without them.

This hunk of Road Flotsam was seriously in there.

Still don't know what it is? Maybe a Cut Nail?

Anyway, went off like clockwork.
5 min to set up and pull the THING out.
5 min to ream the hole, and force the sticky worm into the reamed hole.
8 minutes to finish the inflation (Got the pump with a gauge on the side. Highly suggest this!)

On the way, not driving in ECO, got home with 5 Minutes to spare.
Don't think I would have made it if I had to change to a spare (But would still be sitting there if it was sidewall damage)
Surely would not have made it if I had to wait for a flatbed.
And saved $580 :roll: :roll: :roll:

So, there you go.

Why did you pay $15 for a pump when there is a really good one in the trunk? I had a flat the other day while driving on the freeway and used just the pump which made the tire last 4 miles to DT, who patched it for free.

LEAFfan said:
KillaWhat said:
I got a chance to use my Pep Boys $7.99 tire repair kit today.

Was WAY out of position, sort of racing 30 miles home to meet my kids school bus, when I heard the dreaded Clicka - Clicka - Clicka coming from the left rear tire.
Pulled over, and watched the air race out and leave me on the rim.

I had JUST stopped by Pep boys on Friday, and got a cheap tire plug kit, and a $15 compressor and stuck them in the Leaf.

Tuesday afternoon I'm flat as a pancake, 30 miles from home, with no spare.

Pulled out the little kit, plugged in the compressor so It could start, and fortunately I had a pair of substantial angled channel lock pliers still in the back from working on the HID upgrade.

Those things just became a permanent addition to the "Kit". Could not have done this without them.

This hunk of Road Flotsam was seriously in there.

Still don't know what it is? Maybe a Cut Nail?

Anyway, went off like clockwork.
5 min to set up and pull the THING out.
5 min to ream the hole, and force the sticky worm into the reamed hole.
8 minutes to finish the inflation (Got the pump with a gauge on the side. Highly suggest this!)

On the way, not driving in ECO, got home with 5 Minutes to spare.
Don't think I would have made it if I had to change to a spare (But would still be sitting there if it was sidewall damage)
Surely would not have made it if I had to wait for a flatbed.
And saved $580 :roll: :roll: :roll:

So, there you go.

Why did you pay $15 for a pump when there is a really good one in the trunk? I had a flat the other day while driving on the freeway and used just the pump which made the tire last 4 miles to DT, who patched it for free.

Honestly never looked at the "supplied" pump.
Understood that it was used in conjunction with the goo can..
Wasn't sure it would work as a stand-alone.
Learn something new every day.

Back