The cost of a blown tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One problem with the towing service is the time involved. From the time they get to you, and then tow you to somewhere that can handle it, and it then gets handled, can be very significant. If I am on my way to work or somewhere important or time-sensitive, I don't have that kind of time...

smkettner said:
I will worry about this after the 3 yr towing service expires.

i have to agree. back in the day when i used roadside assistance, it was always a minimum 60-90 minute wait in my 3 lifetime experiences.

hpage said:
Thanks, TomT for you repair kit content list. Question: what did you do for a jack? Thx.
If you want to carry a lightweight jack, just get one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/4sf9hn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

medium_exhaustjack.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Volusiano said:
Next time, I'd rather just call for a free tow on Nissan's dime to a dealer so that the only thing you'd have to pay is the over-priced tire. No TPMS replacement and no restored repair kit.

I wouldn't be towed to a dealer and pay for the over-priced tire, but would have them tow me to Discount Tire...much less expensive.

LEAFfan said:
Volusiano said:
Next time, I'd rather just call for a free tow on Nissan's dime to a dealer so that the only thing you'd have to pay is the over-priced tire. No TPMS replacement and no restored repair kit.

I wouldn't be towed to a dealer and pay for the over-priced tire, but would have them tow me to Discount Tire...much less expensive.
I thought that the limitation of the free tow coverage offered by Nissan is that you can only have your Leaf towed to the nearest dealership only. I don't think you can tell them to tow you anywhere you want. Am I not right? I would love to be proven wrong on this.

If you pay for your own towing to Discount Tire, I don't know if the saving on the new tire (compared to at the dealer) is enough to pay for the cost of the tow or not.

Volusiano said:
LEAFfan said:
Volusiano said:

I thought that the limitation of the free tow coverage offered by Nissan is that you can only have your Leaf towed to the nearest dealership only. I don't think you can tell them to tow you anywhere you want. Am I not right? I would love to be proven wrong on this.

If you pay for your own towing to Discount Tire, I don't know if the saving on the new tire (compared to at the dealer) is enough to pay for the cost of the tow or not.

Hmm, good point. I can't remember about Nissan's towing. If that's the case though, I would just use my 'towing' insurance.

TonyWilliams said:
Going to a dealer for a tire issue is probably not the best approach to low cost.

There are zillions of tire shops in the USA. My local Navy Exchange is advertising the Bridgestone ECOPIA EP422, size P215/60R16 for $116.99, with 65,000 miles warranty. No sales tax.

I don't know if there is a cheaper solution to the tire sensor. I'd shop around for other options. I called NAPA and a tire store, and they didn't have them.

Some TPMS trivia I found:

http://www.nissantpms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The manufacturer of the Nissan TPMS is Schrader Electronics.

It's a wireless system using radio frequencies (433 MHz) to transmit tire pressure reading to the TPMS monitoring system in the car. The TPMS sensors are digitally coded (a serial number of sorts) so 2 cars driving next to each other do not pick up the wrong TPMS sensor reading. The TPMS sensor contains a battery and should be good for as long as 7 to 10 years depending on mileage. Why? The TPMS sensor has a battery saving mode that only activates once the wheel in spinning. If you drive alot, the batteries will die sooner.

Why TPMS?
The US government mandated the use of TPMS on vehicles as part of the TREAD act. The act was created in response to the Firestone tire tread separation issue of the late 90's which partly blames underinflated tires as the cause of blowouts. All passenger vehicles under 10,000lbs gross weight produced after Sept 2007 are required to have the system.

What does it do?
Each wheel has a pressure sensor and transmitter located inside which is connected to the valve stem. The system monitors the pressure of the tires (some cars monitor the spare tire as well... the Rogue does not have this) and provides the driver a warning if any tire is underinflated. In the Rogue, the alarm threshold is 26psi and the vehicle must be travelling more than 16mph (25 km/h) before the pressure is checked.

Special Precautions:
- DO NOT use tire puncture sealant as it could damage the sensor.
- Removal of the OEM tires can damage the sensor. The sensor must be removed prior to dismounting the tire from the rim. There is a specific procedure for doing this and the dealer and tire shops familiar with TPMS systems should be able to do it properly.

The low tire pressure warning light in ON:
- Check the tire pressure using an accurate tire gauge and ensure they are inflated as per the sticker on the drivers side door jamb. The warning light should clear after driving for 5 min above 16mph (25km/h).

- If the outdoor air temperature drops suddenly, the tire pressure will drop and may trigger the TPMS. Re-adjust the tire pressures.

Great post, Tony. Very informative----and certainly good advice. :)

Electric4Me said:
hpage said:
Thanks, TomT for you repair kit content list. Question: what did you do for a jack? Thx.
If you want to carry a lightweight jack, just get one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/4sf9hn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

medium_exhaustjack.jpg

:lol: :lol:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=exhaust+air+jack&Nty=1&D=exhaust+air+jack&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&cmnosearch=PPC&cm_ven=google_PPC&cm_cat=AutoRepair&cm_pla=generic&cm_ite=exhaust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; air jack&mkwid=sYPyN2ShF&pcrid=7852067351&mt=b

$120 bucks but not much good if you do not have a spare

TonyWilliams said:
TomT said:
I carry a standard tire repair kit of the rope vulcanizing type, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a small 12v compressor, in lieu of Nissan's solution. It gives me better piece of mind and is much cheaper if I should actually ever need to use it.
Yes, awesome idea. I just did that a few days ago with two nails. Throw the can of green goop away!!!!
Does this mean that you chose in this case just to repair rather than go to the effort to put on your spare, or that you have decided not to carry a spare after all? (Ref: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3972&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) We currently have only the OEM repair "kit" in the car, but will be putting a rope repair kit and and associated tools into the trunk as a short-term -- maybe permanent -- option.

Volusiano said:
TomT said:
I carry a standard tire repair kit of the rope vulcanizing type, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a small 12v compressor, in lieu of Nissan's solution. It gives me better piece of mind and is much cheaper if I should actually ever need to use it. Oh, and it doesn't damage anything or need replenishing...
Doesn't the Nissan compressor work just like the standard 12v compressor? OK, you have an option to feed the slime though it, but if you don't, then it should work just like a regular compressor, no?

Uummm...nobody answered this question. I assume that either you use the existing compressor (without the slime) or call AAA. Either way, you save the sensor.

robcomptec said:
The total cost to repair everything: $600.00 (approx)
Here is the breakdown:
Tire pressure sensor: $180
The tire and mounting: $200.00
Restoring the repair kit: $180.00 + $29 for the replacement hose.
At least you did not continue to drive and wreck the wheel. I think that would double the cost.

garygid said:
Couldn't the 12v inflator be used (instead of exhaust gas) to blow up this "ball-jack"?

Those little inflators are usually ridiculously slow...a standard scissor jack would be faster. Some of them are pretty light too. The one in my '92 300ZX was aluminum. I don't know how common that is.

Bill

HighDesertDriver said:
TonyWilliams said:
Throw the can of green goop away!!!!
Does this mean that you chose in this case just to repair rather than go to the effort to put on your spare, or that you have decided not to carry a spare after all?

On both of my flat tire events, I installed the spare tire. On the first event, I dropped the tire off at the tire shop for repair (while driving on the spare). They also rotated the tires after repairing the tire.

On the second event, I fixed it myself, thinking at first that the problem was a poor repair job previously. I was wrong; it was two separate nails. Both were repaired (off the car) with the "sticky rope" stuff.

I carry a sticky rope kit in the car (super cheap and light). That can of goop/slime is still in the car, but next time I'm in there, I'll throw it away. There is NEVER a time that I would use it.

Repair and/or spare tire are not exclusive. You cannot guarantee that the sticky ropes will fix the tire, and it takes a long time for one of those cheap 12v pumps to fill up the tire. The last two flat tires my wife got on her minivan(s) DESTROYED both tires. There wasn't anything to repair, and the spare was used in both occasions. The previous sticky rope repair that I did to a car always had a slow leak. I just bought a new tire.

So, I will still use a spare tire, and have no plans to do otherwise. I like the idea of an aluminum spare wheel and jack, though.

TonyWilliams said:
On both of my flat tire events...<snip>

The last two flat tires my wife got on her minivan(s) DESTROYED both tires...

Tony,
does your family have it's own personal black cloud that follows you around? I've used a spare only once in 25 years of driving and I don't know if my wife has ever had to...

No wonder you're carrying a spare! :D

Electric4Me said:
TonyWilliams said:
On both of my flat tire events...<snip>

The last two flat tires my wife got on her minivan(s) DESTROYED both tires...

Tony,
does your family have it's own personal black cloud that follows you around? I've used a spare only once in 25 years of driving and I don't know if my wife has ever had to...

No wonder you're carrying a spare! :D

I don't think so. I wouldn't want to guess how many tires I've replaced/fixed in my life time. A lot.

As a kid with dirt bikes, fixing tires was just normal. When our house was built, we picked up quite a few nails (about 12 years ago). The 2010 Toyota minivan is the car that destroyed both flats. That car was traded in. The other minivan we have has only gotten a few (two or three) flats in 142,000 miles. It never destroyed a tire, and I never had to install the spare. Not once. Always plugged it with the sticky rope, although, as I said, one didn't seal fully. I actually just replaced ALL the tires with new Michelin 80,000 mile warranty tires from Costco. That should be the last set of tires on that car.

I've gotten numerous flats on trailers, but that's because those tires tend to be the cheapest junk that can be installed and sold. I always carried a 12v pump and repair kit (with plugs/glue/patches) on my BMW motorcycle, but never got a flat. Those tires would lose air while sitting, so I never started a trip without checking the pressure. I had planned to install a TPMS system, but sold that bike this spring (after 8 years of fantastic riding).

I did have one wheel completely come off an old 1969 Chevy pickup (the wheel bearings failed). That was interesting. Getting a flat on a tractor tires filled with calcium (for added weight) makes for an interesting repair. Riding our dirt bikes in the desert / mountains, we carry CO2 cartridges and spare tubes, and getting a flat is fairly routine.

I have a 1951 GMC that sits, sometimes for years at a time, and keeps air in the tires!

Back