The “range–extended” EV (BEVx) considered

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil, since you have access to the CHAdeMO protocols, will you consider making a portable DC charger that could be powered from 240V at up to, say, 60Amps? Ideally it could also be powered by a L2 J-1772.

Just asking because I know you are not busy. ;)

Ingineer said:
Yes, it has 2 modes; Range Extension and Mobile CHAdeMO QC. They are independent functions. The function I currently am closest to finishing, and might even have working this week, is the range extension function. Surprisingly, The QC function requires much more engineering and testing.

When it's in Range Extension mode, it basically tracks the cars utilization so there is essentially no battery usage, though it can be set to also recharge the pack if it's low. The point is to take a long highway drive, running the turbine, then shut down once you get off the highway at your destination and run on battery. The turbine is most efficient at higher power levels, so it is happiest at about 70mph or better. =)

The mobile CHAdeMO QC function allows charging any CHAdeMO equipped car at a 30kW rate. Most current stationary CHAdeMO chargers are capable of 50kW, even though the LEAF doesn't pull the full 50kW for long if at all. (I've only ever seen it peak at about 48kW) This means a full QC could take about an hour, but it should be able to do 80% in a half-hour is you aren't totally flat.

-Phil

This is just what the car needs. Is it possible for this to be attached to a tow hitch receiver vice a pull behind trailer?

I sure wish you were in Atlanta where I might be able to visit. But even with your range extender Warner Robins GA to SF CA is just too far for a little Leaf.

N952JL said:
This is just what the car needs. Is it possible for this to be attached to a tow hitch receiver vice a pull behind trailer?
This is exactly how it's configured:

pic

-Phil

Herm said:
Phil, what hitch setup did you use, something custom made or standard?
I could not locate a standard option, so I was forced to fabricate my own:

pic

I've towed a lot of strange stuff with my 2008 Prius, but I must say the Leaf tows exceptionally well, despite it's "zero" rating.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, how much is this QC option?
It's not for sale, but if there is enough interest and I can figure out how to make it feasible, then I'd love to see more of them! =)

-Phil

Is the receiver for sale? Does it attach to existing mounting points or did you need to bore holes in the frame?

JohnOver said:
Ingineer said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
It's not for sale, but if there is enough interest and I can figure out how to make it feasible, then I'd love to see more of them! =)

-Phil

Is the receiver for sale? Does it attach to existing mounting points or did you need to bore holes in the frame?

I too would like one of those hitches... Got a price on that yet Phil? ;)

Phil,

You probably don't want to be in the "hitch fabrication" business, if you have or could produce a set of drawings, I'm fairly certain one of the major companies in that business would buy the design from you, as you've saved them the "engineering & design" work. someone such as "Reese", produces hitches for their business... Just a suggestion.

http://www.reese-hitches.com/hitchsearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingineer said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

-Phil

I'm interested. It's an option that is really needed. And it can double as a portable generator if house power goes out.

N952JL said:
Ingineer said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

-Phil

I'm interested. It's an option that is really needed. And it can double as a portable generator if house power goes out.

exacely what i was thinking. i not even sure i need the trailer part as i dont anticipate taking it places all that much

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok, exacely what i was thinking. i not even sure i need the trailer part as i dont anticipate taking it places all that much

Most likely, he has this setup to generate 3 phase, perhaps 440VAC, going to that Manzanito Micro charger, likely setup to put out nearly 400VDC, which is close to the Leafs pack voltage, and also what would be needed for the Chademo DC Fast Charger, so not sure its going to work to power up your homes. Perhaps Phil can shed some light on how he has that turbine/generator configured.

Yes, I am NOT going to get into the hitch business, nor am I going to produce any drawings for it. This is something easy for any hitch company to do, and I'm sure they will if everyone keeps asking them. (I did!) Even though the Prius has a "zero" towing capacity, there are plenty of hitch options.

The liability and support nightmares alone are reason enough to stay away.

-Phil

Before more people keep asking to buy this from me, let me clarify that the Capstone Microturbine generator is a 30kW, new they cost at least $30k (Dollar a watt). So keep in mind the cost of this trailer will easily be more than the Leaf itself.

They use a dual-inverter power system that is basically 2 inverters back-to-back, and they are both bi-directional. One inverter is dedicated to the permanent magnet motor-generator that's mounted on the turbine shaft, and the other can be configured to connect to DC (as in the Leaf), or a 3-Phase grid connection. It cannot do both however.

As for a "backup" generator, the Capstone makes a poor choice for a home, as it's WAY too large. Unless you go in on one with your whole block it would be not worthwhile. The Capstone greatly looses efficiency at low power levels and doesn't respond fast to load changes, so it would need a large "buffer" battery, which is exactly what they do when they sell these to run "stand-alone". Right now I've got a separate 2kW inverter that runs off the Leaf pack and produces 120VAC, this is my "backup". Then if the Leaf gets low, I can start the capstone and run it for less than an hour to recharge the Leaf. In either situation you can't have power at home if you take your Leaf out somewhere.

They sell cheap piston-engine backup generators that can run off propane and produce 8-12kW single-phase which are great for residential backup. Or if you want something more versatile, and can do with less power, just get a small portable inverter-based generator from Honda or Kawasaki. They will run a few critical loads in the event of an outage, and can even be used to charge your Leaf and will cost only a few thousand. I've got an EU2000i from Honda.

-Phil

how about a 25hp diesel engine?, of course you would be executed if you started one of these in California.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_405826_405826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

60265_lg.jpg

That's a POS Briggs & Stratton, It's 280 lbs, and that's dry, and without a gen head and it still will cost you about $6k. The entire Capstone with it's gen head weighs only 204lbs. You still would need to add all the electronics/inverter, and as you point out not only would you be a gross polluter, but it would also be much heavier and noisier!

The Capstone can also run 40,000 hours, how long can that run? The Capstone is already CARB certified and is extremely low emission.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
<snip>The Capstone can also run 40,000 hours, how long can that run? The Capstone is already CARB certified and is extremely low emission.

-Phil
Phil - you'll need a larger trailer to hold the wood gasifier equipment... ;)

AndyH said:
Phil - you'll need a larger trailer to hold the wood gasifier equipment... ;)

like on the episode of "Stuck with Hackett" ? not too practical, not sure where Phil mounts the #100 propane tank to run the Capstone.

http://science.discovery.com/videos/stuck-with-hackett-column-of-awkward.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back