Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
End of April summary. Tesla commissioned NO U.S. SCs last month. I'm virtually certain this hasn't happened since 2012, and leaves them still with only 11 completed this year. On the more positive side, they added 8 under construction to the 4 that were in that status at the end of March making 12 total, some of which have been much needed/requested. Primary on that list is Erie, PA, which will close the last remaining major gap on I-90, and is much needed in winter. Harrisburg, PA, near the junction of I-76/78/81/83 is also underway. I-15 in Idaho (Pocatello, Idaho Falls) and I-20 in TX/LA (Lindale, Shreveport) are also getting some love. Plattsburgh, NY, on I-87 will make direct access from Albany to Montreal possible, if a long winter leg (153 miles). I-95 in NV (Hawthorne) also got underway, albeit they will still need Tonopah ('permitted') to shorten the 186 mile gap to Beatty. OTOH, neither of the two long-stalled SCs in California (Napa, Fremont #2) seem to have made any progress, but I think Temecula (I-15) may open this month. In order for Tesla to equal their U.S. SCs openings last year (102) they'd need to commission 91, or a bit over 11/month for the rest of the year, which is very unlikely.

In Canada, Grimsby, ON got underway, IIRR the first Canadian SC start in a while.

There were 4 new U.S. SC 'permits' noted this month, making a total of 18 'permitted'*, in Lee, MA (I-90 infill between Albany, NY and Springfield, MA, near the US-7 jct.); Sweetwater, TX (I-20 west of DFW); Springfield, MO (I-44); and Alexandria, LA (I-49). The last will finish the I-20 route between DFW and New Orleans when it and the two I-20 sites mentioned above 'under construction' are commissioned.

There was also one Canadian SC site 'permitted', at Magog, QC.

* I put 'permitted' in quotes, because it doesn't actually mean that a permit has been granted. Sometimes it just means that an alert TMC member has spotted a notice of a permit being discussed at a meeting of the relevant authority, or a property owner says Tesla has talked to them, or something similar. As it is, two 'permitted' sites, in Crescent City, CA and Riviere du Loup, QC have now celebrated their one-year anniversaries in that status, and several others are approaching or have exceeded 6 months.

Meanwhile, I'm bike-mobile again and the Steph-less Warriors still dominated the 'Blazers, so I'm a happy camper :lol:

An SC in Reno, NV popped up live today with almost no notice. Hawthorne, NV also commissioned a couple of days ago. Tonopah is the remaining (S60) hole between Reno and Las Vegas on US-95 South.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/RER7jPb.png
RER7jPb.png

Well this was a first (for me anyway); we were doing our normal weekend errands and spotted a white Model S; as new Tesla owners seem to still be more prevalent than just about any other EV around Chicago, I always try to catch their license plate tag (most owners don't mount the front one and this one was no exception) but low and behold, it wasn't an IL or WI or IN or even a MI tag (Chicago is relatively close to all these states) ... it was a 'plain' FL tag !!

It's too bad they weren't going to the same destination as us so couldn't verify if this was simply an IL 'snowbird' who had their car shipped backed to the Midwest or someone who did indeed use the Tesla SC network and drive back; either is entirely possible but still something to look out for as the SC network continues to grow.

I'm sure others may have seen this more often out west -- but again if its indeed an example of what one can do using this SC network its quite encouraging

dgpcolorado said:
A surprise Supercharger Station just opened up in West Yellowstone! That makes exploring the park really easy and a station is under construction in Idaho Falls to make access easy from southern Idaho.
Thanks for that. Maybe someone at Tesla has been reading here or more likely at TMC, as I (and others too, I imagine) have been pimping for SCs in W. Yellowstone, Gardiner and somewhere around Moran (plus somewhere on the east, Cody or closer in) in addition to Jackson in both forums for a couple of years now. The lack of a SC in W. Yellowstone was the most glaring hole in the 2016 map. They also opened Pocatello the other day, so only Idaho Falls needs to commission to make trips into Yellowstone by S60s from north or south doable, although they still need SCs on the south side (U.S. 191; Moran and/or Jackson) to enable the typical 'drive through the park and out another side' trip.

Shreveport, LA and Grimsby ON opened on the 12th and 13th respectively, but the first isn't reachable by 60s until Lindale and/or Alexandria open (both are under construction). I'm not sure just what benefit Grimsby provides, as it seems rather close to the SCs in Toronto and Buffalo - maybe it allows you to bypass traffic in both cities, and jump direct to Erie (in good weather), once that opens.

GRA said:
Thanks for that. Maybe someone at Tesla has been reading here or more likely at TMC, as I (and others too, I imagine) have been pimping for SCs in W. Yellowstone, Gardiner and somewhere around Moran (plus somewhere on the east, Cody or closer in) in addition to Jackson in both forums for a couple of years now. The lack of a SC in W. Yellowstone was the most glaring hole in the 2016 map.
What's interesting about this new Supercharger Station is that it wasn't on the map. I wonder what other surprises will pop up from time to time?
They also opened Pocatello the other day, so only Idaho Falls needs to commission to make trips into Yellowstone by S60s from north or south doable, although they still need SCs on the south side (U.S. 191; Moran and/or Jackson) to enable the typical 'drive through the park and out another side' trip...
Just so.

Already mulling a Yellowstone trip in my 60, perhaps this fall. (Just got back from a 2971 mile road trip to Portland and Seattle.) And I have camping reservations in Zion NP In a couple of weeks. 6500 miles in less than three months, thanks to the Supercharger network!

27359683335_007d71eb38_z.jpg

^Supercharging at Tremonton Utah.

dgpcolorado said:
What's interesting about this new Supercharger Station is that it wasn't on the map. I wonder what other surprises will pop up from time to time?
Hopefully quite a few, if they've decideded to stop overpromising all the time. If they finish the main primary interstate routes that are already underway, they can have quite a few SCs off the interstates 'in their pockets' that they can use to boost the totals if they fall short in other areas. For now, I think finishing I-90, I-80, I-15, I-10, I-87 and the I-20/I-49 connector plus maybe I-25 should be the primary interstate segments to concentrate on (leave I-94 for dead last), and start adding more stealth sites on U.S. and State highways en route to vacation destinations like Yellowstone. Bend and Tonopah are examples, and they really need to get Groveland underway - it should have been ready prior to Memorial Day, like W. Yellowstone.

dgpcolorado said:
<snip> Already mulling a Yellowstone trip in my 60, perhaps this fall. (Just got back from a 2971 mile road trip to Portland and Seattle.) And I have camping reservations in Zion NP In a couple of weeks. 6500 miles in less than three months, thanks to the Supercharger network!

27359683335_007d71eb38_z.jpg

^Supercharging at Tremonton Utah.
You're a hardier man than I am, to go into Zion in June (or are you planning to backpack the Narrows)? April and October were nice there, but as with Yosemite Valley I stay out of natural reflector ovens between Memorial Day and sometime after Labor Day - at any elevation below 5k I start melting, and prefer 8k or higher :D If you haven't done so before, I highly recommend hiking to Angel's Landing, as long as you've got a head for heights and exposure. Otherwise, definitely not (and not when it's windy and/or raining; the sandstone gets a slick, soapy film when wet): https://www.google.com/search?q=angel%27s+landing+trail&rlz=1CASMAD_enUS695US695&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjng9PqwYXNAhUIV1IKHT9eAmYQ_AUIBygB&biw=1280&bih=687

dgpcolorado said:
Already mulling a Yellowstone trip in my 60, perhaps this fall. (Just got back from a 2971 mile road trip to Portland and Seattle.) And I have camping reservations in Zion NP In a couple of weeks. 6500 miles in less than three months, thanks to the Supercharger network!
That is impressive! While I agree that Zion Canyon may be pretty hot, there are some high altitude areas within the park, notably Kolob Canyons and Kolob Terrace (see https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/lava-point-campground.htm for instance). With access to L2 charging in the Canyon near his campsite, perhaps DGP may be able to do some day hikes in those areas.

Also, I wonder if any intrepid Tesla travelers have yet ventured out to Great Basin National Park or the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. With permission to charge at certain RV sites outside those parks, I'm thinking they should be accessible.

abasile said:
dgpcolorado said:
That is impressive! While I agree that Zion Canyon may be pretty hot, there are some high altitude areas within the park, notably Kolob Canyons and Kolob Terrace (see https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/lava-point-campground.htm for instance). With access to L2 charging in the Canyon near his campsite, perhaps DGP may be able to do some day hikes in those areas.

Also, I wonder if any intrepid Tesla travelers have yet ventured out to Great Basin National Park or the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. With permission to charge at certain RV sites outside those parks, I'm thinking they should be accessible.
I don't recall seeing any mention of GB or people traveling to the North Rim in a Tesla, and using the search function on TMC doesn't come up with anyone who's done it. The closest places to charge are RV parks in Ely, and you'd need adapters for a NEMA 14-50 (not a problem for a Tesla). It's 67 miles from there to the park, and 67 RM @1.0 speed factor, 72 deg. cabin temp @ 90 deg. ambient with a 250 lb. load in an S60 per EVTripPlanner. You'd have to access Ely from I-80 @ the Wendover SC. It's 119 miles and 133 RM from the SC to Ely, same conditions as above. Trying to do it from Elko would be pushing it, 185 RM as above. Getting to the North Rim from an RV park (14-50s) in Kanab out of St. George, or from a Lodge in Marble Canyon (Model S HPWCs) via Flagstaff should be doable, although it might be tight. Either would probably call for a 100% charge.

GRA said:
I don't recall seeing any mention of GB or people traveling to the North Rim in a Tesla, and using the search function on TMC doesn't come up with anyone who's done it. The closest places to charge are RV parks in Ely, and you'd need adapters for a NEMA 14-50 (not a problem for a Tesla). It's 67 miles from there to the park, and 67 RM @1.0 speed factor, 72 deg. cabin temp @ 90 deg. ambient with a 250 lb. load in an S60 per EVTripPlanner. You'd have to access Ely from I-80 @ the Wendover SC. It's 119 miles and 133 RM from the SC to Ely, same conditions as above. Trying to do it from Elko would be pushing it, 185 RM as above. Getting to the North Rim from an RV park (14-50s) in Kanab out of St. George, or from a Lodge in Marble Canyon (Model S HPWCs) via Flagstaff should be doable, although it might be tight. Either would probably call for a 100% charge.
Nice analysis. It seems to me that having the willingness to hypermile on "off network" rural roads is key to successful trips like the above. Being conservative and leaving range "in the tank" is what you'd want to do, for maximum flexibility. What's great is being able to reach those areas in the first place, thanks to the Supercharger network.

When driving our LEAF on isolated desert roads (we've been out to Joshua Tree National Park twice and the Barstow area once, both via CA-247 out of Lucerne Valley), we can save lots of energy by slowing down to 45 mph or so. The trick is to start speeding up whenever we see cars approaching from behind, let them pass if possible, then slow down again. Sure, 45 mph is really slow, but we are in vacation mode anyway, and it beats having to stop and charge or not being able to make it. A little patience sure opens up possibilities, regardless of the make/model of BEV being driven.

End of May summary: 7 U.S. SCs were commissioned in May for a total of 266, still well below the level needed to equal 2015's (or 2014's FTM) pace, but a lot better than the zero last month. Harrisburg, PA; Temecula, CA; Pocatello, ID, and West Yellowstone, MT were probably the most significant. Hawthorne and Reno, NV open up I-95 from Reno - Beatty - Las Vegas for 85+'s, but still need Tonopah to complete the route for S60s. Reno also makes it possible for 85+'s (even S60s) in good conditions to make the loop from there via U.S. 395 to Susanville, to Corning via S.R. 36/I-5, but not the reverse without pushing it. Shreveport, LA only opens up trips between Dallas and Baton Rouge/New Orleans in good conditions for 85+'s, and needs completion of the SCs in Lindale, TX and/or Alexandria, LA to connect either end for S60s.

17 U.S. SCs are known to be under construction including the long-delayed Fremont-2 (7.5 months) and Napa (8.5 months), and 18 are in 'permit' status, including Crescent City, CA which I believe holds the record for longest site in 'permit' status, at 418 days and counting.

Grimsby, ON was the sole Canadian SC to open last month, and the first in a while IIRR, making 18 total. 2 more are known to be under construction, and the perennially in 'permit' status Riviere du Loup remains so, just behind Crescent City at 407 days and counting.

OTOH, while all Model 3s may come equipped for supercharging, Elon Musk has now admitted to the economic realities of a mass market car and the SC network, via Ars Technica (and many other sites):
Tesla Model 3 owners will have to pay for Supercharger access
Alternative energy vehicles need refueling/recharging infrastructure to succeed.
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/06/no-free-superchargers-for-teslas-model-3-h2-stations-grow-in-ca/

A much-needed SC commissioned today in Miner, MO, at the junction of I-55 and I-57. Prior to this, there were no SCs south of St. Louis, and it wasn't possible to reach Memphis from the north - Miner is 141 miles from Memphis, 155 from St. Charles, and 185 from Effingham. This also allows people coming south from Chicago to bypass the STL area, although another SC is needed on I-57, most probably in Mt. Vernon at the junction of I-57 and I-64, to make the trip on I-57 south easy for S60s/M3s.

Also, the first Mexican SC opened, in Cuernavaca.

Two major U.S. SC commissioning's today: the much requested and very long delayed Erie, PA (finally completing the first year-round, coast-to-coast all-one-interstate SC route, I-90 for S60s); and Tonopah, NV, completing Reno - Las Vegas via U.S. 95.

Under the caption of ... what were you thinking? ... comes this:

Red-Tesla-Model-X-Bike-Rack-Newark-Delaware-Supercharger.jpg

http://www.teslarati.com/outrageous-tesla-model-x-driver-occupies-three-supercharger-stalls/

It appears their spaces certainly have enough length so why do this; car had CA plates driving through DE

2nd link has a few more photos ... some are giving them a pass as the owner wasn't there to question, etc.; but having just recently used a single stall QC for our LEAF (and we stayed with the car the whole time so we wouldn't over stay our visit) no excuse IMO

http://electrek.co/2016/06/06/tesla-supercharger-etiquette-model-x/

Once the Model 3 gets here and the demand goes up for SC stations nationally some may have to make some adjustments as the Model X can of course tow a trailer, etc.; but some of this needs to be the driver's responsibility

redLEAF said:
Under the caption of ... what were you thinking? ...

It appears their spaces certainly have enough length so why do this; car had CA plates driving through DE

2nd link has a few more photos ... some are giving them a pass as the owner wasn't there to question, etc.; but having just recently used a single stall QC for our LEAF (and we stayed with the car the whole time so we wouldn't over stay our visit) no excuse IMO

http://electrek.co/2016/06/06/tesla-supercharger-etiquette-model-x/

Once the Model 3 gets here and the demand goes up for SC stations nationally some may have to make some adjustments as the Model X can of course tow a trailer, etc.; but some of this needs to be the driver's responsibility

I certainly wouldn't give them a pass.
IF they had stayed with their vehicle so it could be moved if needed, then I would give them a pass.
At the end of this group of SCs there is one that would have allowed the Model X to take only a single charger (the charger is positioned to the side rather than the back). Unfortunately, as I recall, it was occupied by an S.
S drivers are also going to have to get used to not taking spaces like that if there is an option.

redLEAF said:
Under the caption of ... what were you thinking? ... comes this:

Red-Tesla-Model-X-Bike-Rack-Newark-Delaware-Supercharger.jpg

This has been posted in several places around the net, and no one has mentioned this yet, so here I go...

The Model X comes with a trailer hitch and towing capability. Or in this case, what looks like a trailer hitch-mounted bike rack. Since the SC spaces at this location are back-in, this Model X can't do that without removing the bike and perhaps the hitch.

So I as a Model S owner don't have a problem with this type of charging as long as the owner stays close by and doesn't hog the space for a long time when other cars need it. Courtesy goes a long way.

Some of the SC sites have an occasional pull through spot where this wouldn't be necessary, but many of the SC locations are back-in spots like this...

In other words, the photo isn't what it first appears to be....Not another Tesla a-hole....

Perhaps a suggestion I'll make to Tesla is to make and sell a SC extension cable so the car can back in but stay far enough away from the SC hardware that it won't damage it, and then the extension can be used to connect up to the charging station when the car is parked in the "Regular way"....

Randy said:
...Since the SC spaces at this location are back-in, this Model X can't do that without removing the bike and perhaps the hitch...
The charger cables aren't long enough to reach the charge port, when using a bike/ski rack?

Why does Tesla insist on putting their ports in such a poor location in the first place?

Back