Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The engineer in me says they're probably short because they have to handle 350 amps when charging, so longer cables would cost more and perhaps be more attractive to cut off.

The cable length is about right when you back into the parking space normally.

edatoakrun said:
Randy said:
...Since the SC spaces at this location are back-in, this Model X can't do that without removing the bike and perhaps the hitch...
The charger cables aren't long enough to reach the charge port, when using a bike/ski rack?

Why does Tesla insist on putting their ports in such a poor location in the first place?

Good point. If the port was in the front, you could nose-in regardless of what you are towing.

I've always thought that the rear passenger side is about the worst possible place for the port, but the rear driver's side is a close second.

They chose that spot for the charging port on the car to minimize the length of the charging cabling inside the car to the on-board chargers and electronics...

A front-mounted charging port would add cost to every single car (many feet of very thick wires) that I'm sure they wanted to eliminate. The rear-mounted port wasn't my favorite, but I've grown to accept it. Backing into my garage space works very well.....

Randy said:
The engineer in me says they're probably short because they have to handle 350 amps when charging, so longer cables would cost more and perhaps be more attractive to cut off.

The cable length is about right when you back into the parking space normally.
Yes, the cables are about the size of a gas hose and can carry more than 130 kW of power, which is a lot.

As to the location of the charge port, which I don't much care for, I think it has to do with the original cars having the electronics associated with the rear motor (they wanted to keep those really big wires short). Once this location was standardized it became problematic to change it. And I doubt the possibility of hitch-mount bike racks was considered when the Model S was designed.

Trailer hitches aside, it actually works well because the rear view camera, and parking sensors (not available on the first cars) showing distance to objects, make back-in parking exceedingly easy.

There are a few spaces that allow front-in parking — Price UT has one — and I would expect that more Supercharger Stations will be designed with them, where practical. They don't have to be pull-through either, as you can see from this picture:

27250772420_0e21c292fe.jpg

^Supercharging at Price Utah. Another crowded Supercharger Station here in the Intermountain West.

Randy said:
They chose that spot for the charging port on the car to minimize the length of the charging cabling inside the car to the on-board chargers and electronics...

A front-mounted charging port would add cost to every single car (many feet of very thick wires) that I'm sure they wanted to eliminate. The rear-mounted port wasn't my favorite, but I've grown to accept it. Backing into my garage space works very well.....

I'm sure they did. Tesla deals with power levels that no other EVs conceive of. The costs aside, though, the front-mounted charge port is the most flexible location, IME. Driver's side front is a close second.

As for backing into the garage, so I do. I put the EVSE by the front, just inside the overhead doors. This allows me to charge my car or let my friend top off his if he comes to visit (without having to move my own).

Randy said:
redLEAF said:
Under the caption of ... what were you thinking? ... comes this:

Red-Tesla-Model-X-Bike-Rack-Newark-Delaware-Supercharger.jpg

This has been posted in several places around the net, and no one has mentioned this yet, so here I go...

The Model X comes with a trailer hitch and towing capability. Or in this case, what looks like a trailer hitch-mounted bike rack. Since the SC spaces at this location are back-in, this Model X can't do that without removing the bike and perhaps the hitch.

So I as a Model S owner don't have a problem with this type of charging as long as the owner stays close by and doesn't hog the space for a long time when other cars need it. Courtesy goes a long way.

Some of the SC sites have an occasional pull through spot where this wouldn't be necessary, but many of the SC locations are back-in spots like this...

In other words, the photo isn't what it first appears to be....Not another Tesla a-hole....

Perhaps a suggestion I'll make to Tesla is to make and sell a SC extension cable so the car can back in but stay far enough away from the SC hardware that it won't damage it, and then the extension can be used to connect up to the charging station when the car is parked in the "Regular way"....
Why would a bike rack prevent someone from backing in?

finman100 said:
Possibly the metal pole with the red Tesla sign?

I was looking up the length of the S versus X models; X is about 2+ inches longer but then you add that bike rack, etc. and it appears to add perhaps 12" to 24" more -- I think they all have back-up cameras but you may still need a spotter. If you look closely, Tesla does expect you to back in and they've installed a handy rubber bump stop; won't work well with that hitch and bike on it though --- if that X owner did back in you can't tell how much farther out they would extend from the designated space ... also at first glance I didn't see the photo of the X plugged in but another shot shows the black charger cord.

Firetruck41 said:
finman100 said:
Do Tesla's not have brakes that work when in reverse?
The point is that the back rack doesn't allow the vehicle to get close enough to the charger. The supercharger cable is too short to reach the charging port.

Idaho Falls, ID, and Plattsburgh, NY commissioned today. Idaho Falls makes it easy for S60s to travel between W. Yellowstone (109 miles) and SLC via I-15, and Plattsburgh makes the Albany (154 miles) to Montreal (64 miles) trip easier, albeit still too far in winter for S60s (just reintroduced).

finman100 said:

Yes, that was absolutely the most annoying thing I found when using the SuperCharger network last month. IMHO, the signs are usually too close to the curb, I even backed into one once. Fortunately, there was no damage to my 70D. :oops:

keydiver said:
finman100 said:

Yes, that was absolutely the most annoying thing I found when using the SuperCharger network last month. IMHO, the signs are usually too close to the curb, I even backed into one once. Fortunately, there was no damage to my 70D. :oops:
Yes, add a bicycle rack and a couple of bicycles, and you will have a difficult time getting that short cable to connect.

keydiver said:
Yes, I've done it too; was backing up a bit too quickly to react to my parking sensors. Most Supercharger stations don't use curb stops and, as you said, the signs are rather close to the actual curb. Lesson learned: back up slowly and begin to stop as soon as I get to 15 inches, not the audible warning. That's plenty close enough for the cable to reach. At home my parking "target" is a cardboard box, so no problem if I hit it, although I never have.

[For those who haven't driven one, a Tesla with sonic parking sensors gives the distance to objects in inches (or cm) and sounds a tone as one is backing up; the stop now tone is at a higher pitch, so: "dong, dong, dong, DING". It's quite practical to use if one is going slowly. Front parking sensors work the same way.]

dgpcolorado said:
keydiver said:
Yes, I've done it too; was backing up a bit too quickly to react to my parking sensors. Most Supercharger stations don't use curb stops and, as you said, the signs are rather close to the actual curb. Lesson learned: back up slowly and begin to stop as soon as I get to 15 inches, not the audible warning. That's plenty close enough for the cable to reach. At home my parking "target" is a cardboard box, so no problem if I hit it, although I never have.

[For those who haven't driven one, a Tesla with sonic parking sensors gives the distance to objects in inches (or cm) and sounds a tone as one is backing up; the stop now tone is at a higher pitch, so: "dong, dong, dong, DING". It's quite practical to use if one is going slowly. Front parking sensors work the same way.]
Good post. As I just did 3400 miles recently, I learned to use the sonic sensors and distance on the displays to get down to 12" or 13" and it worked perfectly dozens of times.

Bend, OR commissioned last Friday, improving access to Mt. Bachelor and areas to the south. Augusta, Ga. commissioned on the 14th, shortening the trip between Atlanta and Columbia, SC by 30 miles or so, but not providing much other benefit, and Southhampton, NY commissioned back on June 3rd, improving access to eastern Long Island/Montauk Point.

On Wednesday, 6/22, Peru, IL on I-80 at I-39 west of Chicago commissioned, the first SC between Chicago and Council Bluffs. On Thursday 6/23, Egg Harbor Township, NJ commissioned, making trips to Atlantic City easier. On Friday, Bowling Green, KY and Watertown, NY commissioned. Bowling Green was needed to allow S60s to make it between Louisville and Nashville via I-65; Watertown does much the same for trips between Syracuse and Utica, NY and Ontario, via I-81 or S.R. 12.

On Wednesday 6/22, Magog, QC commissioned.

Back