Tesla "D" Oct 9

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OT but not worth starting a thread over:
http://www.goevergreenrv.com/page/303/Tesla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder who is suing who.

smkettner said:
I read a leak story that it was D for dual motors and 4 second 0-60 time.

It is the most popular guess (the dual motor part).
The performance aspect is all speculation. However, it isn't a giant leap that there will be some increase.

If there's any significant increase in range due to improved efficiency that will be significant.

There's probably been times that ICE car designers wished they could put two engines in a car, one for acceleration and another for efficient highway MPG.

Just as was done with the Voyager around the world aircraft... And that is, in part, what they try to do with variable cylinder deactivation...

LTLFTcomposite said:
There's probably been times that ICE car designers wished they could put two engines in a car, one for acceleration and another for efficient highway MPG.

I like the idea that Tesla is not going to cede the performance coupe segment to the i8 and is going to produce a super coupe.

This is what came to mind when Elon said that he's going to "unveil the D". (no it's not dirty)

This is exactly what the presentation will be like:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCawU6BE8P8[/youtube]

:)

LTLFTcomposite said:
If there's any significant increase in range due to improved efficiency that will be significant.

The potential efficiency gain with an additional electric motor geared higher (less torque) is not same
as with an ICE geared for cruising with lower RPMs, i.e. an electrical motor's efficiency does not change
that significantly as a function of RPM as does an ICE. In the end, a dual motor system may be less efficient
than a single motor system, e.g. twice the motor controller driver (IGBTs) losses and the additional
weight.

The improvement in efficiency brought about by reducing the size of an ICE comes primarily from reduced pumping losses (the engine is acting as a vacuum pump) and to a lesser extent from reduced friction. (Note that pumping loss does not apply to a diesel.) The same does not apply to an electric motor and the efficiency gains would be extremely small...

LTLFTcomposite said:
If there's any significant increase in range due to improved efficiency that will be significant. There's probably been times that ICE car designers wished they could put two engines in a car, one for acceleration and another for efficient highway MPG.

I am hoping that "D" is a Tesla battery range extender for the Leaf that can be rented and charged at supercharger network. "D" meaning more than double the range of the Leaf :lol: .

In all seriousness. I think it's going to be AWD S, driver assist auto mode, and who the heck knows.

I'm putting a bet in for something we haven't seen coming at all being the something else.

Although Elon's next tweet:

I love the Internet. Comments had me literally ROFL. No, it wasn't intentional. Glad I didn't mention the other letter!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/517509858971504640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that makes me think the other letter is the X. D... X... D...X...D...X

TomT said:
The improvement in efficiency brought about by reducing the size of an ICE comes primarily from reduced pumping losses (the engine is acting as a vacuum pump) and to a lesser extent from reduced friction. (Note that pumping loss does not apply to a diesel.) The same does not apply to an electric motor and the efficiency gains would be extremely small...

LTLFTcomposite said:
If there's any significant increase in range due to improved efficiency that will be significant. There's probably been times that ICE car designers wished they could put two engines in a car, one for acceleration and another for efficient highway MPG.

The benefit I could see would not be from gearing the front motor up, but gearing the back motor down. Where it has a max speed of 120 mph now, make it only run up to 70 or 80 instead.

It would make no significant difference in efficiency... Electric motors simply do not work that way...

pkulak said:
The benefit I could see would not be from gearing the front motor up, but gearing the back motor down. Where it has a max speed of 120 mph now, make it only run up to 70 or 80 instead.

TomT said:
It would make no significant difference in efficiency... Electric motors simply do not work that way...

pkulak said:

For the 0-60 time, not efficiency.

cdub said:
Although Elon's next tweet:

I love the Internet. Comments had me literally ROFL. No, it wasn't intentional. Glad I didn't mention the other letter!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/517509858971504640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that makes me think the other letter is the X. D... X... D...X...D...X

That's where my mind went as well. It'll be the AWD S and the X.

Back