Tesla "D" Oct 9

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D stands for distraction, announcing some new trim for the model S to draw attention away from a big schedule slip on the X program while they scratch their heads over falcon wing door production problems.

Or something else.

They'll probably do a different gearing on the front motor (turning a lower RPM) so that you get slightly better efficiency on the highway by using the front motor more and backing off on the rear motor (they have already stated that this is the plan for the X).

Showing that in an EV 4WD gives more power AND better efficiency for highway driving?

It's going to blow some minds.

LTLFTcomposite said:
D stands for distraction, announcing some new trim for the model S to draw attention away from a big schedule slip on the X program while they scratch their heads over falcon wing door production problems. Or something else.
Previously Elon indicated that the Model X would be the first model to get AWD, but it makes sense that they'd back away from that position in light of delays on the X. This would also help them to flush out the inevitable, remaining bugs in their dual motor system.

I agree that the falcon wing doors present some real challenges. For snowy climates and for those who use roof racks, I still don't think they make sense.

That said, I still think it would be very cool if 'D' stands for "driver assist" rather than "dual motor".

Weckel said:
OzO2hht.png

Yep- Dual, pretty clear.

abasile said:
I agree that the falcon wing doors present some real challenges. For snowy climates and for those who use roof racks, I still don't think they make sense.
They needed to provide access to the third row like you have with a minivan, but they couldn't use a sliding door lest it be labelled a minivan, and we all know there's nothing worse than that.

I wonder why nobody has ever come out with a "six door" arrangement for minivans and SUVs: Have the regular driver and passenger doors, then behind those another pair of doors, then behind them those little half door things that open the other way (like on the i3 or honda element) to give access to the third row seat.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I wonder why nobody has ever come out with a "six door" arrangement for minivans and SUVs: Have the regular driver and passenger doors, then behind those another pair of doors, then behind them those little half door things that open the other way (like on the i3 or honda element) to give access to the third row seat.

I am SOOOOOOOOO with you on that. We have 4 kids and they are all in different sports and we try to car pool, but as they get bigger the mini-van is getting smaller :) and a SUV type with 6 doors would be perfect and it should actually give you more interior rooms since you wouldn't have to mess with a pass through to the back or at least flipping seats to get back there. I would also think 6 doors would be less expensive to build, stronger in an accident and more reliable than sliding doors, which I never got anyway... Now I am picturing something along the lines of "national lampoon vacation family truckster"

As there was talk from time to time about the market being tapped out for model S buyers, if that were the case, or even if they just wanted to get higher volumes before the model E time frame, there's another knob they could turn: Come out with a low-end model S that would get close to that $50k price point (post subsidy) where they would take another fat layer off the market pyramid. Maybe 45kwh, supercharging is an add-on, some other features disabled, but could be turned on for $$, or make more money on accessories and upgrades. Get people into the brand, then turn them upside down and shake them.

LTLFTcomposite said:
D stands for distraction, announcing some new trim for the model S to draw attention away from a big schedule slip on the X program while they scratch their heads over falcon wing door production problems.

That big schedule slip is all the more reason why any big announcement really has to include the Model X. They are sending invitations to the event to "signature reservation" holders of Model X. You don't invite your most eager buyers schlep out to your event just to tell them "sorry this doesn't have anything to do with Model X". :eek:

LTLFTcomposite said:
As there was talk from time to time about the market being tapped out for model S buyers, if that were the case, or even if they just wanted to get higher volumes before the model E time frame, there's another knob they could turn: Come out with a low-end model S that would get close to that $50k price point (post subsidy) where they would take another fat layer off the market pyramid. Maybe 45kwh, supercharging is an add-on, some other features disabled, but could be turned on for $$, or make more money on accessories and upgrades. Get people into the brand, then turn them upside down and shake them.

I don't think so. Tesla is having no trouble selling cars. Their challenge is in producing cars.
Dual Motors may actually be an effort to smooth the demand curve when the Model X comes out.
Some people would be thrilled with an AWD Model S. They have reservations for the Model X simply because it is AWD.
If a Model S AWD is available now, some Model X reservation holders will drop their reservation in favor of the AWD Model S.

No loss of average vehicle cost, smooths the demand spike next year, and makes a lot of people very happy.

Zythryn said:
I don't think so. Tesla is having no trouble selling cars. Their challenge is in producing cars.
I don't think so either... but it is a knob they could turn if they can increase production and need to increase volumes before 2018.

Zythryn said:
Some people would be thrilled with an AWD Model S.

Yes, I meet people all the time that claim they need AWD for the two times per year they drive over unplowed snow. They also don't realize the Model S is not your Grandfather's RWD.

Latest rumor:

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Tesla Motors Inc. will unveil its Model 3, the mass-market car, and new versions of the Model S sedan at the event Oct. 9, analyst Trip Chowdhry with Global Equities Research said in a note Friday....

By showing a Model 3 prototype Tesla is also hoping to garner more attention from potential "gigafactory" investors, he added. The new Model S versions would have all-wheel drive and semi-autonomous driver-assistance system, which would be positive for car technology company...
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-to-show-model-3-new-sedan-version-oct-9-report-2014-10-03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
Latest rumor:

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Tesla Motors Inc. will unveil its Model 3, the mass-market car, and new versions of the Model S sedan at the event Oct. 9, analyst Trip Chowdhry with Global Equities Research said in a note Friday....

By showing a Model 3 prototype Tesla is also hoping to garner more attention from potential "gigafactory" investors, he added. The new Model S versions would have all-wheel drive and semi-autonomous driver-assistance system, which would be positive for car technology company...
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-to-show-model-3-new-sedan-version-oct-9-report-2014-10-03" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Careful, this is also the guy that predicted Tesla would be starting two or three Gigafactory plants in parallel.

Back