Tein "Street Basis" coilovers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JimSouCal said:
Thank you for sharing this information. Can you suggest how someone who doesn't wrench would get this installed in Southern California?
Just about any local mechanic can handle this. You'll want to get an alignment afterwards. Ideally you'd use a shop experienced with coilovers as well - since they are adjustable you'll want to make sure they set it up properly.

palmermd said:
Some say yes lowering does help, some say it wont.
Yes. :)

The primary benefit from lowering should come from getting the wheels/tires out of the airflow since the bottom of the car is pretty flat.

Looking at what top-speed competition cars do for aero is often a good place to start at looking for ways to reduce drag. Usually this involves:

1. Remove mirrors.
2. Flat wheel covers.
3. Lowering vehicle as much as possible.
4. Reducing size of air intakes as much as possible, deep front spoiler (look at how deep the spoiler is on the Volt - it's so low that many complain of how much noise it makes scraping over speed bumps and in/out driveways).
5. Taping off body seams.

The stock LEAF wheels aren't very flat or light. It'd be awesome if someone made a lighter wheel with smaller gaps - look at what Prius wheels look like, for example.

I just ordered a set from Nengun. Hoping to get them delivered and on before Oct 8th. I will update as it goes.

What was the measured front and read ride height before and after the install? Where are the measurement points?

drees said:
The stock LEAF wheels aren't very flat or light.

Not flat but VERY light. Has anyone done the Enkei RPF1's yet???

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=Enkei+Racing&wheelModel=RPF1&wheelFinish=Bright+Silver+Paint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TRONZ said:
drees said:

RPF1's are quite popular in motorsports applications. At least for the 16"-18" sizes they are and they are quite light and have Enkei's rim forging. I've had 2 sets of them over the years. Very good wheel IMO since it was light and (from what I could tell) very stiff. I used a set on my 350Z as a dedicated set for autox/track tires, and then later for street use. That's a 3300+ lbs car as well and they were subjected to far more loads than what a set will ever experience on a Leaf driven on the streets. I've known quite a few people to have used them and loved them as well. I can't attest for how well they deal w/ the abuse of potholes since I don't recall encountering many that I hit w/ them while I used them on the street.

drees said:
TRONZ said:
Not flat but VERY light.
The OEM LEAF wheels weigh 21 lbs. each.

Personally, I would only consider a 16" wheel light if it weighs less than low-teen pounds. For cheap wheels, 16" wheels weighing low-teen to 16-18 lbs or so would be a good price/performance ratio for me.

PriusChat says 18x8 RPF1's weigh 17.8 lbs each. That's 3.2 pounds lighter than the stock 16's but for a reasonably priced 18. Rolling resistance would go up with the width (he was running 225/40/18) but should corner well with upgraded suspension.

TRONZ said:
PriusChat says 18x8 RPF1's weigh 17.8 lbs each. That's 3.2 pounds lighter than the stock 16's .

Will this small drop in weight make any difference to the acceleration or distance when driving? As other than the aesthetics they bring what is the point?

Typically you go plus 1 or 2 (in this case 17"-18") to decrease your sidewall. Going from a 55 profile to a 40 gives alot more response and feel to a car. The AutoX guys can explain it better buts it's for handling.

Going with a lightweight 18" wheel won't do anything in this case because the tire will surely weigh more than the stock Bridgestone's. The best case scenario for reducing unsprung weight is to run a light 15" (if it'll clear the caliper) or 16" with the stock tires (or if you can find an LRR tire that's lower weight thatn stock).

I'm ordering a set of 16"x7" Rota Slipstream's for a cheap/lighter setup. About $500 bux and they will work with the stock tires. I'll probably run a 225/50/16 on it for little meaner stance though.

Ya, total weight is a factor plus where the weight is placed in the wheels (center vs perimeter). Did someone weigh the stock wheel and tire together? How much is the base 16" setup? The car in the OP of this thread is running 18's but not sure which ones and their weight.

TRONZ said:
Ya, total weight is a factor plus where the weight is placed in the wheels (center vs perimeter).
Yep - take 2 wheel/tire combos that weigh the same but in different diameters - 16" and 18" - and I guarantee that the 18" setup will have significantly more rotational inertia. Even if you got the lightest 18" wheel/tire available, I highly doubt you'd beat the rotational inertia of the stock wheel/tire setup.

There's really no reason to go any larger than 17" for performance reasons (really the main reason is that there are more tires available in that size). And even then you will have a very difficult time beating the rotational inertia of a 16" setup. If you can find a 17" tire that is the same overall weight as the stock 16" - that's about as good as you're going to get there. Then with a 15lb or less 17" wheel (not that easy to find unless you can spend a lot) you're probably not doing significantly worse or better than the stock setup weight wise. But aerodynamics will still be worse unless you can find a light wheel with small wheel gaps. Good luck with that since light wheels typically have tiny spokes.

TRONZ said:
drees said:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=Enkei+Racing&wheelModel=RPF1&wheelFinish=Bright+Silver+Paint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have! 15x7 and I think 43mm offset. Works great!

LEAF.jpg

Supposedly, per Prius people, 15" tires and rims are the lightest sizes, and you can probably save a lot of money too.. anyone willing to try a 15" tire to get better range?

VorlonZ said:
TRONZ said:
drees said:

I have! 15x7 and I think 43mm offset. Works great!

LEAF.jpg

What size tire did you run? 195/60/15? Can you post some closeup shots showing how close the caliper is to the inside of the hoop of the wheel pls?

Thanks for the pic Vorlon! Your ride looks great! +1 on some closer pics of them. Did you weigh them all mounted up? The stock tire wheel combo is like 39lbs each corner (21+18). Have you noticed better performance/range?

Sorry to thread jack. Do we have a dedicated wheel mod thread somewhere???

nader said:
What size tire did you run? 195/60/15? Can you post some closeup shots showing how close the caliper is to the inside of the hoop of the wheel pls?
Those are actually 16" wheels according to his post in this thread.

Of course, that post also says that they are a 16x7 +25 while the post in this thread says 15x7 +43 so who knows what is right? Will just have to wait for him to chime in with the correct info. I'm guessing it's actually 16x7 +43...

Back