Tein "Street Basis" coilovers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aqn said:
And for comparison:
Difficult to compare spring rates without knowing the motion ratio for said parts.

Perhaps front spring rates are comparable since both are likely to be strut based where motion ratios are very close to 1:1, but unless the VW GTI has similar twist beam rear axle, I suspect the rear spring rates are not comparable at all.

If I had to guess I'd estimate the rear spring:wheel motion ratio to be around 2:3.

aqn said:
And for comparison:
drees said:
Difficult to compare spring rates without knowing the motion ratio for said parts.
Quite right, and not to mention differences in roll center height, height of center of gravity, weigth at each corner, et cetera et cetera. My figures are intended only as a starting point, a ball park. The LEAF is more likely to be in that ball park than that of figures from, say, a Lotus Elise.

drees said:
Perhaps front spring rates are comparable since both are likely to be strut based where motion ratios are very close to 1:1, but unless the VW GTI has similar twist beam rear axle, I suspect the rear spring rates are not comparable at all.
A3 VWs had torsion beam (twist beam) with trailing arms rear suspension like the LEAF. However, the VWs' spring/shock are concentric and their the bottom end is located at the hub, whereas the LEAF's spring and shock are separate, and the spring is located further forward on the trailing arm, which means rear spring rates are much less comparable.

Looks Like RSR has two coilover offerings too (in Japan of course). They also have drop springs too.

http://www.rs-r.co.jp/e/script/itemsearch/index.html?LEAF&ZE0&suspension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drop Springs:
ze0_d.jpg

Coilovers:
ze0_b_r.jpg

Update: Tein coilovers are on the way. Hopefully they arrive early next week. I'll be doing a full writeup of the install with before and after pics and maybe some video too.

nader said:
Update: Tein coilovers are on the way.
How'd you get them so quickly? Your last posts indicated that they were really available yet... Did you have to get one of your Japan contacts to help import them? Any idea of cost?

Looking forward to the pics + install. :)

Here is the link to purchase from Japan from a package forwarding service. These guys are pretty legit. I emailed these guys and they checked availability and added it to their site for purchase.

http://www.nengun.com/tein/street-basis-damper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1250 shipped.

nader said:
Here is the link to purchase from Japan from a package forwarding service. These guys are pretty legit. I emailed these guys and they checked availability and added it to their site for purchase.

http://www.nengun.com/tein/street-basis-damper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1250 shipped.
Thanks - let's see how you like them before I decide to splurge. I had mild lowering springs on my last 2 cars that I enjoyed - I am afraid that coilovers might be a bit much for me.

nader said:

1250 shipped.
Yeah, I found that site when I went searching after seeing your OP. The $250 shipping cost put a damper on it for me. I think I'd wait a bit to see if they bring them to the U.S. Glad to see you went for some. I can't wait to see/read of the result!

Just tracked the package. It's in the states!

Update: Just arrived. I'll try and get them installed tonight.

Got the rear on last night. Pretty straight forward. disconnect the shocks and jack up the car and the springs fall right out. Still tweaking the ride height right now. I'm at about a 2.5" drop in the rear and it's too low. The Tein instruction actually give you detailed measurements for fender gap (top of fender to wheel center) and the proper settings for the adjustable sleeves in order to achieve the recommended drop. I realized the afterwards when I actually spent some time trying to decipher their drawings and numbers. Setting the ride height before installing the springs would have been much easier than adjusting on the car. On car adjustment is slooow since space is limited. Here are few teaser pics.

photo%20sep%2015%209%2010%2051%20pm.jpg

photo%20sep%2015%207%2041%2043%20pm.jpg

photo%20sep%2015%209%2022%2037%20pm.jpg

nader said:
I'm at about a 2.5" drop in the rear and it's too low.
Bwahahah - if it's not scraping it's not too low! :lol: I want to see those tires tucked!

Can you post the stock hub/fender gaps?

Any idea how much bump travel is available on the car? That's usually the main limitation to how low you can go while still maintaining a decent ride. What ride height are you aiming for?

Do the fronts appear to have all the tabs you need to attach brake / abs lines?

Sorry for all the questions - am excited about this!

I love that first pic of the rear w/the lights on, BTW...

Can anyone post a similar picture of a stock Leaf at the same angle so we have a comparison view.

I would take a photo of my Leaf but IT AIN’T HERE YET!

Back