Tein "Street Basis" coilovers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nader said:
racerkit said:
nader said:
18x7.5, 43mm offset, 5Zigen GN+ with Falken 225/40/18
30mm spacer in the rear. I have a 20mm spacer for the front but havent installed it yet.

Nice...
How is your efficiency affect by your setup?

About a 20-25% hit on range.
Really? More than I thought it would be!

Bumping this badboy from the dead! If anyone is interested in the Tein kit I have one that was used for about 1.5 months sitting in my garage. PM if you are interested.

nader said:
Looks Like RSR has two coilover offerings too (in Japan of course). They also have drop springs too.

http://www.rs-r.co.jp/e/script/itemsearch/index.html?LEAF&ZE0&suspension" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drop Springs:
ze0_d.jpg

Coilovers:
ze0_b_r.jpg

Has anyone gone for the RSR coilovers yet?

TRONZ said:
Has anyone gone for the RSR coilovers yet?
Biggest problem is getting them - have you found a source that doesn't include getting it shipped directly from Japan?

I put coilovers on my 99 Cobra Mustang, Griggs Suspension. This was more for track use but was my daily driver. I noticed they were a little noisy as the spring would move around a bit which caused some some spring noise and little clunks when driving over the bumps. I also have a friend with an Integra with coil overs and he has said his coilovers also have similar characteristics. So, I wonder if all coilovers do this or is it just the few I have ran into? But something I would ask about.

BradW said:
I put coilovers on my 99 Cobra Mustang, Griggs Suspension. This was more for track use but was my daily driver. I noticed they were a little noisy as the spring would move around a bit which caused some some spring noise and little clunks when driving over the bumps. I also have a friend with an Integra with coil overs and he has said his coilovers also have similar characteristics. So, I wonder if all coilovers do this or is it just the few I have ran into? But something I would ask about.
That doesn't "sound" :) right... The spring in a coil-over-damper is captive and normally under tension. Like a normal separate-spring-and-damper arrangement, actually. The only time the spring can rattle is at full droop when the damper is at full extension.

Some coil-overs have a "tender spring" on the end of the main spring. A tender spring is an overly soft multi-coil spring that would normally be completely coil bound because the main spring's rate is vastly greater. When the damper approaches full extension, the tender spring starts to unwind and keeps the main spring from flopping about.

In any case, if a coil-over rattles, there's something wrong somewhere: something's loose, due to incorrect installation, for example, or maybe due to crappy quality resulting in too much clearance in wrong places.

Found them for under $1000 - not sure what shipping will cost: $984.13 @ http://www.nengun.com/tein/street-basis-damper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone still running them? What are your thoughts?

nader - how is that custom setup you're running doing?

drees said:
Found them for under $1000 - not sure what shipping will cost: $984.13 @ http://www.nengun.com/tein/street-basis-damper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw these a few months ago on that site, they were going for ~$1200 then. Looks like they've come down in price. Nice.

RedLeader said:
drees said:

I saw these a few months ago on that site, they were going for ~$1200 then. Looks like they've come down in price. Nice.

I'm not sure how you got the quote, but they have been about $1250 shipped since the beginning of this thread last August (see first post, and several others later on). Just under $1000 + $250 shipping. Perhaps your quote included shipping.

I'm curious about the custom setup Nader has alluded to in several threads.

palmermd said:
I'm not sure how you got the quote, but they have been about $1250 shipped since the beginning of this thread last August (see first post, and several others later on). Just under $1000 + $250 shipping. Perhaps your quote included shipping.
Whoops. You're right! It was so long ago! http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=129173#p129173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Signed up for an account and the total came to $1300 w/shipping and CC fees.
palmermd said:
I'm curious about the custom setup Nader has alluded to in several threads.
And after reviewing the thread again, the Ksport coilovers Skywagon has been trying...

If the Tein is $1000 shipped then its a deal. $1250 is a bit steep for no Comp adj when the RSR is $1900 shipped to my door. I checked with RSR here in CA and they can get it to me in a week. RSR also mentioned that they were testing very soon which led me to believe that they will be reworking some setups including possibly the LEAF.

If I decided to purchase my LEAF outta LEASE, I am debating on this setup as I commute 68miles RT for work. Was/Is there any efficiency drop using stock wheel/tire sizes? I have searched all the pages and have not seen and definate answer. Just curious. Looks awesome though!

With stock wheels/tires there should be little change in efficiency as long as the wheels are still pointed straight (stock toe alignment) If anything, efficiency should go up slightly as lowering a vehicle usually reduces aero drag a bit.

Has anyone installed the Tein dampers on a 2013 Leaf yet? I don't believe Nissan made any changes to the suspension with the "minor" model change but I'd like to confirm before dropping $1300 on coilovers. I contacted Tein but they couldn't confirm they have test fit a 2013 model.

randerson44 said:
Has anyone installed the Tein dampers on a 2013 Leaf yet? I don't believe Nissan made any changes to the suspension with the "minor" model change but I'd like to confirm before dropping $1300 on coilovers. I contacted Tein but they couldn't confirm they have test fit a 2013 model.

AFAIK the chassis has stayed the same. There is a chance that with all their cost reductions the weight and distribution has changed slightly, but that should not affect things enough to matter.

I am curious if anyone has identified another source for coilovers or struts and shocks. I'm nearing that point where I am ready to spend the money on wheels, tires, and suspension. I am a former autocrosser and contemplating getting back into it with the LEAF. May need to buy a generator. :)

Anyhow- I am curious if anyone has turned up any options. I am tempted to buy some Versa aftermarket bits and start playing around. I may start with a set of used factory dampers and see what I can engineer around that. I'm a fan of TEIN but not of the price. I've also not had much luck with their low end stuff, and I can't tell, but these look to be of the slightly lower-end construction compared to their other lines.

marcucci said:
I am curious if anyone has identified another source for coilovers or struts and shocks. I'm nearing that point where I am ready to spend the money on wheels, tires, and suspension.
+1

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RSR makes a very nice coil over setup.

marcucci said:
I am curious if anyone has identified another source for coilovers or struts and shocks. I'm nearing that point where I am ready to spend the money on wheels, tires, and suspension. I am a former autocrosser and contemplating getting back into it with the LEAF. May need to buy a generator. :)

Anyhow- I am curious if anyone has turned up any options. I am tempted to buy some Versa aftermarket bits and start playing around. I may start with a set of used factory dampers and see what I can engineer around that. I'm a fan of TEIN but not of the price. I've also not had much luck with their low end stuff, and I can't tell, but these look to be of the slightly lower-end construction compared to their other lines.

I use to competitively autoX, I took my Leaf out to a practice day last year to try to figure out what it was capable of (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9773). In my opinion, it may not be worth it. Locally, the distance of the venues from where I live and the performance limitations doesn't make it very desirable for me.

Versa bits won't work. Leaf is way too heavy. I was able to compare some B15 sentra front struts to the Leaf's and it's a no go, can even be modified to work. Maybe a B16 Sentra or Altima parts? Dunno at this point, I still have to see if I can compare the parts. I'm definitely interested in hearing your ideas on this.

Back