Coilover comparison- Tein thumbs down /BC Racing 2 thumbs up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eglee413

So I am not going into the specs. I am purely giving you a "street" feel and comparison. I used to care all about that in my younger days, but for me this is my commuter car and I just wanted to look aggressive even though I am driving 60mphs to save efficiency.

If you read Armadillo's review on Megan coilovers these are basically the same.
BC is a taiwan company. http://www.bcec.com.tw/history/company.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most likely getting it from the same manufacturer and re-branding it. Price of the BC's were the same as the Megan. Both have 30 way dampening which I made a big big difference for street driving.

So here is my comparison.
Price - The same.

Build - The Teins were made very very solid. The unit is well designed and structurally solid. If you look at the pictures of the BC's its basically an adjustable shock unit. So using a one off design and allowing it to fit "as needed" on a different application.

Ride - The Tein rode very rough. I am sure if I was auto crossing or doing some thunderhill runs the stiffness would hold up well, but my leaf is a commuter to me and I need the car to feel nice and ride nice. I do like the extreme low look and feel, and the Tein did not go as low as I would like. My point is to pay a $1000 for a coilover I should have the ability to go as low as my heart desires. I couldn't and I was basically set on the lowest all around and I did feel every single bump. Occasionally I would hit that one bump that I swear I "broke" my suspension. You felt everything. On stock rims and tires the ride was better and more endurable.

The BC's on the other hand even at its lowest setting, it was about an inch lower then the Teins. I started out having it set at the lowest to see how the stance compared to the Tein. It was definitely lower and more aggressive. Riding at the stock setting of 8 for the dampener, the ride was 200% better then the Tein at the same lowest setting. I was smooth and held a very firm control for normal street driving. I have been playing with the settings and have since raised up the back a tad as the car sagged more towards the rear with weight transfer.

Spirited driving- Both would allow instant response, a bit of understeer. But as responsive as the BC's were with the added dampening control I could hit a turn pretty hard and it hugged the road and was very smooth.

On BC'S at the lowest points

Wheels are 17x8 all around Work Equips on some Yokohama Avid Ascends Low rolling resistance 205/50/17.
Didn't calculate out the offset as I changed the lips around so the rear have a slightly larger lip. I was told it was in the neighborhood of 20et. But never had it measured. Wheels are pretty flush to the fender.

Thanks for the pics. Your ride looks awesome! The wheel offsets look perfect.

A couple of questions:

1. Did you install spacers?
2. With the coilovers and reduced clearance, how does the car respond with 4 passengers riding?

Even on the Tein I never put 4 people in. This car is used primary as a commuter for diamond lane.

My back seats consist of two recaro baby seats !!! My guess is it has to rub unless you crank up the damper but that ride would be so stiff.

The back are on 15mm spacers. Fronts have no spacers. I am local if you ever want to check out, I live in Union City. You are more than welcome to go for a ride.

Thanks for the review! Glad that you focused on ride quality in your comparison - the BC Racing (and Megan Racing) coilovers sound like a great compromise for commuter duty and the Tein coilovers seemed to have a few issues related to bump travel that would make it difficult to live with for a daily driver.

Where'd you get your BC Racing coilovers from? What'd you end up doing with your old Teins? What ride-height did you end up settling on (measured from center of hub to fender lip)?

drees said:
Thanks for the review! Glad that you focused on ride quality in your comparison - the BC Racing (and Megan Racing) coilovers sound like a great compromise for commuter duty and the Tein coilovers seemed to have a few issues related to bump travel that would make it difficult to live with for a daily driver.

Where'd you get your BC Racing coilovers from? What'd you end up doing with your old Teins? What ride-height did you end up settling on (measured from center of hub to fender lip)?

I can grab some measurements.

I sold the Teins to a buddy who wasn't planning on going as low or upgrade wheels. So the ride was still very good in his car. 600 bucks for a set used for 4 months Tein. You can't beat that deal for him.

as for where, i contacted BC NA direct they are cool. http://www.bcracing-na.com/contact/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I then used a local shop to get them to order. My fear was "does this item actually exist as I have never seen it". So I wanted the deal brokered through a local shop. Knowing this set does exit, I wouldn't have had a problem ordering direct from BC-NA.

Oh another note to compare.
Tein took 3 months to get.
BC's came in 3.5 weeks.

Thanks for the GREAT feedback. We probably wont drop our 2012 Leaf (it is leased and I'm too cheap to have to uninstall coils at end of lease)-- but I did just get some BC Racing BR-series coils for my Volkswagen. Can't wait to see how they ride--installing those next week. Appreciate this thread!! thumbs up!

eglee413 said:
pics of the Vdub when done !!!

Definitely. I've also got fun photos coming this weekend of our Leaf... some white/pink wheels the wife picked up +1 size from stock (17s instead of 16s)... some nice tuner pink lugs too... haha... she'll love it!

drees said:

13inches all around.

eglee413 said:
Even on the Tein I never put 4 people in. This car is used primary as a commuter for diamond lane.

My back seats consist of two recaro baby seats !!! My guess is it has to rub unless you crank up the damper but that ride would be so stiff.

The back are on 15mm spacers. Fronts have no spacers. I am local if you ever want to check out, I live in Union City. You are more than welcome to go for a ride.

Hey Eglee, Thanks! I'd like to take a look.

YGM.

My current ICE ride is a Mercedes C230K with coilovers installed by the previous owner, a racer.
It also has rather thin tires which I won't be doing on the Leaf.
I will readily admit that I prefer its ride to the rolly Leaf.

So translating this for a civilian:

1. You're putting on coilovers.
2. You're lowering the suspension.
3. You're spacing out the wheels so they're flush with fender.

Dropping+Spacing give better aero, no?
Coilovers+Dropping give firmer ride, no?

I'm thinking of getting some used coilovers but still keep the stock SV 16" alloy wheels. I'd space out the wheels but I'd be pretty conservative on dropping the suspension because that battery pack is down there. I'll get better tires further on down the road.

Is this exercise worth it for a more spirited ride if want to keep the wheels+tires and I'm worried about much drop?
Is there any range benefit from the drop/spacing?

Lowering the car in theory should reduce aerodynamic drag.
Spacing the wheels out in general will likely increase aerodynamic drag.
Aftermarket suspension which lowers the car in general will make the car ride more firmly.

Thanks. Spacing the wheel out to make it exactly flush with the fender will increase drag? Strange, I wasn't expecting that. Why is that?

But the Tesla folks say the same thing. Well I'm not going to flush the wheels just to increase drag.

Back