Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a link to an Oregon Government press release. it offers excellent access to a map of the proposed sites. up and down the coast and in gateway cities to the East/cascades!

http://governor.oregon.gov/Gov/P2010/press_101510a.shtml

solardude said:
Here's a link to an Oregon Government press release. it offers excellent access to a map of the proposed sites. up and down the coast and in gateway cities to the East/cascades!

Fantastic! I was hoping Government Camp would be seen as a potential site. Camp 18 is a great selection as well.

solardude said:

Wow, I think my Leaf trip to SolWest next summer will be much easier than I was expecting! :D We'll see how long it takes to get these sites finalized and installed...

smkettner said:
onthewind said:
Been lurking here for a while, first post....I just signed up for the Solarworld drive. I was wondering when something would happen as my Leaf reservation was on 5/15. Everyone else posting here seems to have registered on the first day! Nissan says I will get a car in Jan.

Jim C.
January seems early to actually get the car..... did you mean you could order in January?

It's quite likely that's what the Nissan guy meant. I'd like to see when the first 4/21 order happens so
I get some idea of where I stand. Everyone that has ordered so far reserved on 4/20 so I can't tell
how fast they are working down the backlog.

Onthewind, I reserved on 5/15/2010. I have a January order date and can expect delivery of the Leaf 3 to 4 months later. Probably April or May

stanley said:
Onthewind, I reserved on 5/15/2010. I have a January order date and can expect delivery of the Leaf 3 to 4 months later. Probably April or May

Yep, I was avoiding that conclusion...Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like a LOT of people
reserved on that first day.

I reserved a LEAF in April with October order status. Finally got my email telling me to get a dealer quote and place my order which I did on 10/22/10. Got the SL e-tec which includes a free fast charge port. Ocean Blue is the color.January is the projected delivery month . Cant wait to go gas free.

1953austin said:
I reserved a LEAF in April with October order status. Finally got my email telling me to get a dealer quote and place my order which I did on 10/22/10. Got the SL e-tec which includes a free fast charge port. Ocean Blue is the color.January is the projected delivery month . Cant wait to go gas free.

How/where did you get the projected delivery month ?

evnow said:
1953austin said:

How/where did you get the projected delivery month ?
Wilsonville Nissan is the dealer I ordered from. The sales rep said Jan or early Feb were the most likely delivery months. Not sure how accurate that is but time will tell.

this from a member of the OEVA:

"Hi All,
I stopped by Solar World to see just where the Nissan event will be
held. The security guard informed me it would take place at the east
and north parking lots.

See ya there,"

solardude said:
this from a member of the OEVA:

"Hi All,
I stopped by Solar World to see just where the Nissan event will be
held. The security guard informed me it would take place at the east
and north parking lots.

See ya there,"
Thanks for the information. See you there.

Theodore R. Kulongoski

Governor

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 1, 2010

Anna Richter Taylor, 503-378-6169

Jodi Sherwood, 503-378-6496

State of Oregon Honored for Leadership in Electric Vehicles

Oregon is first State to Receive International Industry Recognition

Salem — Today Governor Ted Kulongoski announced that the State of Oregon has been selected to receive the E-Visionary Award from the Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA) for the state’s leadership in transitioning to an electrified transportation system.

The award recognizes Oregon’s success in building the necessary infrastructure such as a network of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations as well as establishing incentives to support practicable and widespread use of EVs in the near future.

“We cannot think of a more deserving recipient for this honor. Oregon has made incredible strides toward the realization of sustainable mobility, and on an unprecedented scale,” said Brian Wynne, President of EDTA. “Their comprehensive model of electric drive implementation sets an example to be emulated across our nation and around the world.”

Oregon is the first U.S. state to ever receive the industry award. The award will be presented November 9th, at the 2010 Electric Vehicle Symposium and Exposition in Shenzhen, China. Tim McCabe, Director of the Oregon Business Development Department, will accept the award on behalf of the Governor.

“Three years ago, I saw an opportunity for Oregon to be a national leader for our nation both as a point of entry and as consumers for the next generation of electric vehicles,” said Governor Ted Kulongoski. “This international award recognizes our work to take that vision and put a plan in place that has established Oregon as a global leader in developing an electrified transportation system that moves us away from fossil-fueled vehicles to zero-emission ones while also creating economic opportunities for our ports, our manufacturing sector and our communities.”

Oregon’s recognition comes after 12 months of significant progress in establishing the infrastructure to support an EV market as well as a point of entry in the United States for this new, next generation of commuter vehicles.

Some of Oregon’s progress includes:

· Oregon was selected as one of the initial five markets for The EV Project, funded by the Recovery Act, is the largest deployment of EVs and charging stations in the nation. In that project, ECOtality will partner with Nissan to deploy approximately 900 electric vehicles (the Nissan LEAF) to Oregon.

* The EV Project will also deploy 1,100 public Level 2 charging stations in Portland, Eugene/Springfield, Salem/Keizer, Corvallis/Albany, and Medford/Ashland. The EV Project will also deploy 45 fast charge stations along I-5 between communities to ensure corridor connectivity between these urban areas. The “Level 2” chargers should start appearing in Western Oregon in the spring of 2011.

· Oregon established a state incentive of $1,500 to help offset the initial cost of the new-generation EVs coming to market that is applied on top of the federal incentive for EVs. The state also has incentives for the installation of charging stations.

* ODOT has been awarded $700,000 in Recovery Act funds to install up to eight EV fast charge stations, which can charge a depleted battery in about half an hour, along Interstate 5 from Eugene south to Ashland. The funds, awarded through the Oregon Department of Energy, will complement the current deployment of EV fast-charging infrastructure along I-5 from the Portland Metro area down to Eugene.

* In October 2010, ODOT was awarded $2 million through a federal competitive grant program called TIGER II to install DC fast charge stations. These fast charge stations will be deployed in communities throughout northwest Oregon, including small cities throughout the region as well as communities on major travel corridors and key destinations, including US 26, I-84, US 20, OR 18, OR 99W, and US 101. This project also complements the installation of charging

“There is great momentum in Oregon and throughout the Pacific Northwest to lead our nation toward energy independence through the aggressive development of renewable energy as well as the adoption of electric vehicles,” the Governor continued. “With the partnership of our utilities, Oregon made our mark early and it attracted new economic opportunity through private investments. This international award strengthens our position as a leader and I believe will lead to even greater economic opportunity in this emerging industry well into the future.”

The E-Visionary Award will also be presented by the European Association for Battery, Hybrid and Fuel cell Electric Vehicles (AVERE) to the City of Amsterdam, The Netherlands and by the Electric Vehicle Association of Asia Pacific (EVAAP) to the City of Shenzhen, China.

###

The Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA) is the preeminent industry association dedicated to advancing electric drive as a core technology on the road to sustainable mobility. As an advocate for the adoption of electric drive technologies, EDTA serves as the unified voice for the industry and is the primary source of information and education related to electric drive. Their membership includes a diverse representation of vehicle and equipment manufacturers, energy providers, component suppliers and end users.

The World Electric Vehicle Symposium and Exposition (EVS) series, organized by World Electric Vehicle Association (WEVA), is recognized as the premier event for academic, government and industry professionals involved in electric drive technologies. The World Electric Vehicle Association unites the Electric Vehicle Association of Asia Pacific (EVAAP), the European Association for Battery, Hybrid and Fuel cell Electric Vehicles (AVERE) and the Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA).

Got my test drive yesterday, Friday the 5th. The tour guides are not as knowledgeable as the folks on this forum, but there is a Nissan electric car expert present who has answers to most questions. No spare tire, no jack, but a portable plugin compressor and a can of sealant to repair a flat. There is a power pack shutoff just behind the front seats - don't know how easy to get at in an emergency. The car is fun to drive. We got a straightaway section of maybe half a mile and a section of winding road of about a quarter mile to test acceleration and handling. They were scheduling people for test drives who hadn't signed up earlier. I was scheduled for Saturday, but had no trouble getting a ride on Friday.

I was at the test drive event on Friday as well and had fun with 3 different LEAFs! The first was the "preflight" red one, where I also found out there is no spare tire, only the inflation canister, which plugs into the 12V outlet. I actually went back to the car a couple of times during the visit, to check things out I hadn't thought of before. So I got to fold down the rear seats, find the camera, play with the J1772, look at the Bridgestone tires, open the glove box, etc.

My second LEAF experience was when I was waiting in line for the test drive with a friend. A media guy (Josh) came up to us and asked if we would be willing to step out of line to be interviewed on video. We said, "Sure!" So we signed a release form, and the crew wired us for sound. :cool: They took a few shots of us in line and getting ready for the test drive. Then they took us to a black LEAF parked nearby, which had a video rig mounted inside the car, and I got to drive two circuits of the regular test drive route and a third drive on a different stretch of road! On that third drive Josh suggested I punch the accelerator to feel the response. Before I knew it I had it up to 63 mph! Woohoo! Smooth and quiet! :D

My third LEAF experience was riding in the back seat of a blue LEAF while my buddy had his test drive. I would say the rear seats are designed OK for short-legged people; although the leg room seems OK, there's not much thigh support for medium to tall adults. The lower back support is adequate but not great. It felt like riding in the back of a compact car, i.e., not as roomy as the feel of the front seats. The ride felt fine in the back seat on the test drive roads.

They tell me the video is intended for the Nissan page on Facebook. Who knows how much they'll end up using, if any. But what an unexpected bonus, to get the extra drive time with the LEAF! Bottom line - I've had the EV grin on my face for two days now! Can't wait to get mine! :D

My wife and I did the test drive today too. The Leaf definitely has a lot more rear leg room than our Subaru Impreza had and we both loved the acceleration we got. I was first to drive and as we were pulling up to turn onto Evergreen Pkwy. the demo guy said to wait until I had lots of room in front of me and to punch it as I turned and then floor it as we got to Brookwood Ave. It felt really good and not having a traditional transmission made the acceleration feel very powerful, but definitely under control.

The demo guy actually let it slip that he was a temp for the event, but that after this weekend he's putting his $99 down to get one. Absolutely awesome!

Also did the test drive at Solar World today. It was fun. Overall impression of the car was it was unremarkable, a nice version of a 'normal' car you'd see from Toyota or Honda or Nissan. Acceleration was a nice bonus. Electronic gizmos and stuff will keep it interesting and 'current', at least for a while. I think Nissan hit the market pretty spot on, and I'm looking forward to getting this puppy in a few months. But what will I be looking for in 5 or 10 years? That question makes me wonder about the buy vs. lease issue long and hard . . .

Question for other Oregon Leafers:
Have you run the numbers for purchase vs lease taking into account the Oregon tax credit?
Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know how that credit would change the calculation.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

mpr said:
Question for other Oregon Leafers:
Have you run the numbers for purchase vs lease taking into account the Oregon tax credit?
Sorry for my ignorance, but I don't know how that credit would change the calculation.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

Also very interested in the answer to this question. I'm one of those that would rather buy, but will obviously lease if it is cheaper. Since I expect to only get about $5500 of the fed tax credit, I'm thinking leasing is the way to go for me. But I think we'd all qualify for the $750 from Oregon so that makes it a little less clear cut.

I was reading the basics of the Oregon credit here:
http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/CONS/RES/tax/docs/AltFuel.pdf?ga=t

and this line caught my eye:
An operator of a qualifying vehicle with a lease (or a lease with an option to purchase) may claim the tax credit. You must attach a letter of authorization with your application form allowing you to claim the credit on behalf of the owner (lessor). The letter must be signed by the owner.

Is it possible that we could get this credit even if we lease? That would definately push me over to the lease camp.

Back