Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The colors on the map do not seem to represent a distribution of charging stations, or even traffic density.

Prehaps the colors represent denser areas of parking spaces, or perceived need for L2 charging stations?

Is there a map of the actual L2 locations?

Where is the map of planned L3 locations?

garygid said:
The colors on the map do not seem to represent a distribution of charging stations, or even traffic density.

Prehaps the colors represent denser areas of parking spaces, or perceived need for L2 charging stations?

Good questions. I was hoping for more specificity in the locations, but I'm thinking that hasn't been worked out yet, or maybe they just don't want to release it yet.

Although technically not Portland, I'd love to see what Vancouver,WA will have available as well. The current charging maps are quite dry for our neighbors
in Vancouver.

Home charging should get you out of your "local area".

L2 should be located at "destinations", where people would park and do something for some time.

L3 (DC QC) should be at enter/exit points to "local areas", and located for "way-point" charging, basically for range-enhancing for e-roaming.

garygid said:

There is a caption on the map at the source. The colors represent EVSE distribution density - red = high, green = medium, blue = low. Locations have not been selected for EVSE sites yet, just areas - as depicted by the map. More charging stations in red areas than blue areas. DC quick charge locations have also not been plotted yet. There will likely be 40-50 in the area, as opposed to the 1,000 or so Level 2 stations.

Based on this map, it appears Vancouver is not part of the EV Project. So even though it is just across the river, it will receive no benefit from the project. Found this article that tells of the city's plans. Hope it helps! :)

I suspect that they should forget the 1000 L2 EVSEs, and install an additional 100 QC stations instead.

Then, throw in some standard outdoor 120v sockets, and some RV 240v sockets as well.

MEDFORD, Ore. – Wednesday, September 29, 2010 – ECOtality, Inc. (NASDAQ:ECTY), a leader in clean electric transportation and storage technologies, today announced the expansion of The EV Project to SouthernOregon. Alongside Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski, ECOtality outlined charging station additions in the Ashland and Medford areas. The announcement is a significant landmark for ECOtality, project manager for The EV Project, as well as residents of Oregon.

Concurrently, Governor Kulongoski will announce that the state will extend the system of I-5 corridor fast chargers from Eugene south to the California border creating a system of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations along the entire length of Interstate 5 in Oregon.

maple said:
Which dealers in Oregon are offering incentives?
There's a thread under Board index » General Nissan Leaf » Buying / Leasing / Dealerships named List of Nissan Dealers who will sell LEAF for MSRP or Less !, which discusses dealers and incentives by area. Also you could look under the Regional Discussion which had some info about Portland dealerships.

I was able to order yesterday, Friday, Oct. 1st, from Wilsonville Nissan. Joel Fowler, their sales manager, tells me they hope to have two or three L2 charging stations, and maybe an L3 station in the near future. They're right off the freeway, so an L3 station makes sense.

Just read on Facebook that they will have a LEAF at the Portland marathon expo (Fri. and Sat.). It will also be the lead car for the race on Sunday.
I'm actually doing this race, so I was planning to go to the expo anyway. Guess I'll give myself some more time now. It will be the first time I've actually seen the car in person.

dyhopper said:
Just read on Facebook that they will have a LEAF at the Portland marathon expo (Fri. and Sat.). It will also be the lead car for the race on Sunday.
I'm actually doing this race, so I was planning to go to the expo anyway. Guess I'll give myself some more time now. It will be the first time I've actually seen the car in person.

So they had a Silver LEAF at the expo. I was there for 10-15 minutes checking it out and there was not a single other person that stopped during that time even though everybody had to walk right by it to get the race packet. I think that it just looks so much like any other normal car that the large majority of people don't realize how special it is.

It also lead the race today, which I thought was good marketing as no runner wants to be breathing exhaust. But, again I don't think anyone was aware of it.

Just wanted to post an FYI that the monthly meeting for the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association will be this Thursday, October 14th. The meeting will be held at the World Trade Center in downtown Portland, on the corner of SW Salmon and 1st Street.

People start dropping off their electric cars in the courtyard around 7pm and the meeting starts at 7:30pm and runs until about 8:30 or 9pm.

Been lurking here for a while, first post....I just signed up for the Solarworld drive. I was wondering when something would happen as my Leaf reservation was on 5/15. Everyone else posting here seems to have registered on the first day! Nissan says I will get a car in Jan.

Jim C.

From the Statesman Journal:

WASHINGTON — Oregon will get a $2 million federal grant to build electric-car charging stations along Interstate 5, the U.S. Department of Transportation announced Wednesday.

The money will fund 42 charging sites along the length of the I-5 corridor, with gaps of no more than 50 miles between sites, according to the Transportation Department. Most of the charging stations will be built in rural areas that aren't served by the state's existing electric-car infrastructure project, which is installing charging sites in Salem, Portland, Corvallis and Eugene.

"The new charging stations that will be built with this funding will help affirm Oregon's position as a national electric vehicle leader," said Oregon Democratic Sen. Jeff Merkley.

The new grant will allow residents to drive electric cars longer distances.

Alleviating this "range anxiety" will encourage Oregonians to buy electric cars such as the Leaf, which will be available in Oregon and other states starting in December, said Art James, a project director at the Oregon Department of Transportation. He added that officials will aim to install charging sites where electric-car drivers need them most.

The charging stations will be free, fast-charge units, which can repower a car in 15-20 minutes.

James said Oregon officials are working with Washington, California and British Columbia to create a "green highway" that would allow people to recharge electric cars anywhere along the Pacific corridor. Last month, Oregon was awarded $700,000 in federal stimulus funds to install as many as eight charging sites from Eugene to the California border.

Read more: http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=201010210331#ixzz1347XL3BC

onthewind said:
Been lurking here for a while, first post....I just signed up for the Solarworld drive. I was wondering when something would happen as my Leaf reservation was on 5/15. Everyone else posting here seems to have registered on the first day! Nissan says I will get a car in Jan.

Jim C.
January seems early to actually get the car..... did you mean you could order in January?

Back