Portland Oregon Group

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarkStar said:
GinkoLeaf said:
I noticed a new charger at the Walgreens near me at
9159 SE 82Nd Ave
Happy Valley, OR 97086

But it was not a brand that I recognized (not Blink or ChargePoint, and doesn't look like OpConnect). Its on a thin pole with a green matrix LED read-out, and wants an RFID card to activate. I can't remember the name printed on the side. Does anyone know what it could be?
This is the closest I could come up with:

9901634-large.jpg

This one doesn't require an RFID tag though to activate and isn't very "thin."

Thanks for the attempt. I should go and try to take a picture of it. The whole unit is part of the small diameter pole. If it wasn't for the charging cord on it, I might not have even noticed it. I don't recall seeing a GE logo on it either. I've also contacted Walgreens (via email) to see if they can tell me more about it. I see other Walgreens around our area have Blink, as does the Fred Meyer across the street. :)

GinkoLeaf said:
DarkStar said:
GinkoLeaf said:
9159 SE 82Nd Ave
Happy Valley, OR 97086

But it was not a brand that I recognized (not Blink or ChargePoint, and doesn't look like OpConnect). Its on a thin pole with a green matrix LED read-out, and wants an RFID card to activate. I can't remember the name printed on the side. Does anyone know what it could be?
This is the closest I could come up with:

This one doesn't require an RFID tag though to activate and isn't very "thin."

Thanks for the attempt. I should go and try to take a picture of it. The whole unit is part of the small diameter pole. If it wasn't for the charging cord on it, I might not have even noticed it. I don't recall seeing a GE logo on it either. I've also contacted Walgreens (via email) to see if they can tell me more about it. I see other Walgreens around our area have Blink, as does the Fred Meyer across the street. :)

Maybe this one? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

camasleaf said:
Maybe this one? http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, that one is definitely a ChargePoint and he said that it wasn't a ChargePoint, so I didn't re-suggest it. :D

GinkoLeaf said:
9159 SE 82Nd Ave
Happy Valley, OR 97086

I haven't been back there yet, but I think its this one (press release says they're working with 350green who is partnering with Walgreens and other businesses):
http://www.semaconnect.com/chargepro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

camasleaf said:
DarkStar said:
Caution:
1- Do not squeeze the black handle with any force at all. If it doesn't move easily, it isn't inserted correctly.
2- When inserting the connector, do not squeeze thee black handle until the connector is fully inserted in the receptacle.
3- Once inserted, gently squeeze the black handle. It should move effortlessly. The back part of the blue handle moves forward towards the receptacle.

Last Sunday I stopped by Fred Meyer for a quick charge. I put the plug in and tried to squeeze the black handle but did not move. Tried a few times to reset the plug but it still did not work. I did not try to force it. I was disappointed that it does not work (I would have driven to downtown to use one of the other two QCs). I tried one more time and while slightly squeezing the handle I lightly pushed the release button. I heard a light click and handle released and I was able to squeeze it. I only charged for about 10 minutes and around noon I came back to charge to 80%. This time the handle worked just fine.

Could it be that people walking by squeeze the handle and cause it to lock? Did pushing the release button really help? If you have problems try the release button, but remember I did not have to use any force.

If you watch the video you can see that the release button moves down and up while the handle is squeezed. So maybe pushing the release button did help unlock the handle :) !

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/12/some_upper_income_oregonians_w.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So we're losing the $1500 Oregon tax credit after the first of the year? :cry:

Guess I should have gotten my order in a month earlier.

DarkStar said:
Kwood said:
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/12/some_upper_income_oregonians_w.html

So we're losing the $1500 Oregon tax credit after the first of the year? :cry:

Guess I should have gotten my order in a month earlier.
Sure enough! HB 3672 specifically cancels the alternative fuel vehicle credit as of 01/01/2012. This really slipped under the radar in the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association.

Anybody know the exact status of the federal tax credit?
Just to clarify, the specific language is as follows: "(2) The State Department of Energy may not issue an alternative fuel vehicle or related equipment certificate under ORS 469.170 for a tax year beginning on or after January 1, 2012."

DarkStar said:
Just to clarify, the specific language is as follows: "(2) The State Department of Energy may not issue an alternative fuel vehicle or related equipment certificate under ORS 469.170 for a tax year beginning on or after January 1, 2012."
Awesome. :(

Has anyone gotten their 'alternative fuel certificates' from the state? I submitted my application several weeks ago and have not received anything yet.

HIOJim said:
DarkStar said:

Has anyone gotten their 'alternative fuel certificates' from the state? I submitted my application several weeks ago and have not received anything yet.

Got mine about 6 weeks ago. It comes as a white 4x6 postcard, and I almost threw it away before I realized what it was.

DarkStar said:
So, I received my Leaf last back in November, but haven't received any certificate. Was I supposed to apply for it? I assumed that I was supposed to just claim it on my tax form.

ericinor said:
So, I received my Leaf last back in November, but haven't received any certificate. Was I supposed to apply for it? I assumed that I was supposed to just claim it on my tax form.

Yes, you need to apply for it. There was a discussion on this thread back a ways; what form to use, how to fill it out, etc. Excellent info. :)

HIOJim said:
DarkStar said:

It took about 6 weeks for me to receive my certificate. My guess is that it may take even longer here at the end of the year.

ericinor said:
DarkStar said:
As GinkoLeaf stated, yes you need to apply for your certificate before filing your taxes. One of our OEVA members wrote up the following instructions and I can attest that they are accurate. Note that it will take about 6 weeks for you to receive the certificate.

Oregon has tax credit incentives for buying new alternative fuel vehicles or converting a vehicle to run on an alternative fuel. This incentive is administered by the Oregon Dept of Energy (OR-DOE).

Hundreds of Oregonians bought Nissan Leafs (yes the plural is Leafs), Chevrolet Volts, and other plug-in vehicles in 2011.

To claim the Oregon state incentive for plug-in vehicles, you must apply for it before filing your state income taxes. When your incentive application is accepted, you will receive a tax credit certificate that must be turned in with your state tax forms. In order to avoid delaying your tax filing, it is best to apply for the incentive soon after purchasing your vehicle, rather than when you start doing your taxes.

If you leased your Leaf, you may still be eligible for this incentive. See the form (link below) for more details.

One of our OEVA members spoke with Debbie Davis of the Oregon DOE about this application and how it applies to the Nissan Leaf. Below is a summary of her instructions for the alt. fuel vehicle tax credit form.

Here is a link to the application form:
http://www.oregon.gov/ENERGY/CONS/RES/tax/docs/AltFuel.pdf?ga=t

Debbie said:
  1. For box 3, use a Nissan Sentra as the comparative model. This is a similar sized and accesoried Nissan. She suggested using the base price of $16060. The resulting tax credit is $750.
  2. For box 6, use $3000 as the installed cost of the vehicle charger installed in the car. The ODOE is aware that this is an internal vehicle item and the cost is not shown on the car invoice. The resulting tax credit is another $750.

Together these result in a $1500 state tax credit.

Additionally, box 5 can be used for the home charging station, if applicable.

Good news (I think). My dealer just told me my Leaf is on the boat and he has a VIN so I could close this week even though the car won't be here until February 3rd or so. :p If I understand it correctly, if I buy this year I can still claim the tax credit as long as I complete and submit the Oregon form?

I was planning on leasing, but it looks like I can still claim the credit as long as Nissan "authorizes" it. Has anyone gotten one of these authorizations?

Even though I'll be paying for a month I don't have the car, the tax credit is worth it, don't you think?

Kwood said:
Good news (I think). My dealer just told me my Leaf is on the boat and he has a VIN so I could close this week even though the car won't be here until February 3rd or so. :p If I understand it correctly, if I buy this year I can still claim the tax credit as long as I complete and submit the Oregon form?

I was planning on leasing, but it looks like I can still claim the credit as long as Nissan "authorizes" it. Has anyone gotten one of these authorizations?

Even though I'll be paying for a month I don't have the car, the tax credit is worth it, don't you think?
If you lease, the dealer "takes" the credits, not you. You can only take the credits if you "buy" the car.

Some buyers have used this to their advantage as they might not have enough taxable income, they lease the car (with the dealer taking the credits and providing a lower residual based on the credit), then buy out the lease after a couple of months at the residual price.

I don't know the exact process, but I definitely know that if you lease you don't receive any tax credits.

DarkStar said:
Kwood said:

If you lease, the dealer "takes" the credits, not you. You can only take the credits if you "buy" the car.

Some buyers have used this to their advantage as they might not have enough taxable income, they lease the car (with the dealer taking the credits and providing a lower residual based on the credit), then buy out the lease after a couple of months at the residual price.

I don't know the exact process, but I definitely know that if you lease you don't receive any tax credits.
I leased my Leaf and the way it went was: Nissan takes the $7500 Federal Tax credit but *not* the State tax credit. Indeed, after I had the car 2 months Nissan sent me an letter alerting me to the fact that they were taking the Fed tax credit but also encouraging me to take advantage of Oregon's $1500 credit in my 2011 tax return.

BTW, I just got my Oregon tax credit card in today's mail. This is for my Volt, not the Leaf (I did not have the Leaf long enough and would probably be risking an audit for 'intent to resell' if I took it for the Leaf). It took a little less than the 6 weeks quoted here.

I leased my Leaf and the way it went was: Nissan takes the $7500 Federal Tax credit but *not* the State tax credit. Indeed, after I had the car 2 months Nissan sent me an letter alerting me to the fact that they were taking the Fed tax credit but also encouraging me to take advantage of Oregon's $1500 credit in my 2011 tax return.

BTW, I just got my Oregon tax credit card in today's mail. This is for my Volt, not the Leaf (I did not have the Leaf long enough and would probably be risking an audit for 'intent to resell' if I took it for the Leaf). It took a little less than the 6 weeks quoted here.

Thanks HIOJim. That's what it looks like from the instructions. Did you have to have a letter of authorization from the owner (in your case GM)?

Back