Plug In America LEAF Battery Survey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my latest Gid capacity loss data, as of Nov 28. I have posted several updates in various threads this Fall because my LEAF has experienced some welcome capacity rebound with the onset of cool Fall weather.

SOCLossNov29-L.jpg

The lower graph is an attempt to capture the daily temperature history of the battery using just the Temperature Bars.

0 100% 5 Tbars over 24 hrs
.5 50% of time at 5 Tbar, 50% at 6 Tbar
1.0 100% at 6 Tbar.

For comparison, here is a re-posting of some similar data from Sparky, dated Oct 13. He may have posted updates since then. I have not gotten nearly as much rebound as he has. I believe his overnight climate is frequently cooler than mine. I don't know about his mileage.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/leafsoctrend1.png/

I have noted that my gid count is back up to 271 (same as when I got the car) after a charge to 100% this saturday. So my "loss" according to gid count is now 0%. ;)

I've written up some results from the data collected for the Plug In America LEAF Battery Survey.

Some quick findings from the survey:

- Over 90% of survey participants have not lost a capacity bar.
- Over 75% believe they have lost no more than a few miles of range.
- Those who have lost capacity bars are almost all in hot climates.
- Not all cars in hot climates have lost capacity bars.
- Factors other than miles and climate don't have a big effect on capacity.
- In cool climates, a LEAF can go 60,000 miles before losing a capacity bar.

The full report with more detail, information on capacity loss in different climates, analysis of factors other than mileage and climate on battery capacity, and how to interpret Nissan's battery report is available here:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/Leaf-Battery-Survey.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We're interested in continuing to track LEAF battery health. If you are a LEAF owner and haven't yet participated, please send in a report.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, send in another report on your vehicle in six months, whenever you lose a capacity bar, or when you just want to show how many miles you've driven.

If you find this survey useful, please consider supporting Plug In America with your year-end donations. http://www.pluginamerica.com/donate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tomsax said:
I've written up some results from the data collected for the Plug In America LEAF Battery Survey.
[...]
The full report with more detail, information on capacity loss in different climates, analysis of factors other than mileage and climate on battery capacity, and how to interpret Nissan's battery report is available here:
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/Leaf-Battery-Survey.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[...]

Hi Tom, all:

I read through the report (and did participate, though my initial participation was only after a little driving). A few initial thoughts:

- Thanks for doing this. I think there is an effort made to make this survey and report (and I'm thinking there will be subsequent reports and discussions) one that is useful, including to professionals who are decision-makers with respect to the Leaf. The most important point I think is that this survey and report(s) was/is/are what is needed - a good shot at straight-forward unbiased thoughtful collection of information and analysis of it.

It seems to have been referenced explicitly in the Andy Palmer Battery-Warranty note issued two days ago, so that supports the idea of it serving in a useful way to all concerned. I also think in general the idea is that in the face of a hot-button issue or issues, it can be very useful to have a party which meticulously provides really useful cool-headed data to all concerned.

- Sorry for the hassle from me about whether we drivers can log back in and repeat the survey without fear of accidentally creating a second database entry. As you mentioned, the answer is given here:
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/faq.php
...How to Update a Report
Just submit a new report. I'll match it up with your previous reports. I use the country, model year and VIN sequence number to uniquely identify vehicles, so it's really important that you enter your correct VIN number.

- These statements in the conclusions, among others, seem worth noting:

Conclusions
Of 240 LEAFs reported in the survey, with a median of 11,600 miles driven, 90.8% are still showing all 12 capacity bars, meaning they are within 15% of nominal full capacity. Subjectively, 76.3% of owners believe they have lost no more than a few miles of range.

Of the data collected and analyzed thus far in the Plug In America LEAF Battery Survey, by far the strongest indicator of premature battery capacity loss is the owner’s local climate conditions, specifically cars that have lost enough capacity to be visible on the car’s dashboard capacity display are nearly all in hot-weather climates.

Not every car in a hot climate is seeing battery capacity degradation, and this study does not yet have enough information to determine what fraction of cars are affected....

- I was a bit confused as to this statement also in the conclusions:

...The Battery Information Sheet that LEAF owners are supposed to receive when they have their annual service done has potentially significant educational potential. If presented and explained by a knowledgeable technician, this report can serve as a method to educate owners on best practices for maintaining the health and capacity of their battery pack. Although the effect of doing well on the report is apparently too small to be measured by this survey, Plug In America recommends that LEAF owners be aware of the issues and follow them as much as is convenient in their use of the vehicle by avoiding habits that have little benefit to the owner and potentially contribute to battery pack degradation.

The reason I was confused is that, from reading the report, and from participating in discussions in this forum, it looks like there is some question as to whether following all the recommendations for battery care (as gone through on the report card) really helps _quite_ as much as Nissan seems to think. Specifically as to fast charging:

Does keeping fast charges to a minimum really help that much (aside from possible tie-ins with thermal management esp. in hot climates)?

....The graph below shows the odometer and number of quick charge sessions reported for each vehicle, with vehicles grouped according to their capacity bars. The graph shows that many of the cars that have lost capacity reported no use of quick charging, and a broad scattering of significant use of quick charging in cars with significant miles driven without losing any capacity bars....
The report also mentions:
...Nissan originally recommended no more than one quick charge per day, but in later revisions to the LEAF Owners Manual, removed that statement....

Seemingly countering this, in the Q&A accompanying Andy Palmer's announcement, it was reiterated or re-affirmed:

Q. How does the frequency of fast charging affect the rate of capacity loss? Are there other factors that influence the rate of capacity loss?
A. Quick charging the vehicle more than one time a day will affect and may hasten the rate of battery capacity loss. Other factors that will affect and may hasten the rate of capacity loss include, but are not limited to: (1) Sustained high battery temperatures (caused, for example, by exposure to very high ambient temperatures or extending highway driving with multiple quick charges); (2) Sustained high battery state of charge (caused, for example, by frequently charging to 100% state of charge and/or leaving the battery above 80% state of charge for long periods of time); and (3) Higher than estimated annual mileage accumulation (such as more than 12,500 miles per year).

On the issue of trying to charge past 80% unless it is anticipated that it will be used and necessary, I'm wondering if it's a more complicated matter of "if you always use up more than 20% charge within a few hours of topping up, then maybe it doesn't matter", or maybe you're fine?

- I was upset about Andy's "moving of the bar" (in my view) in his interview with Chelsea a few months ago so that all of a sudden Arizona residents faced a norm of 7,500 miles per year in the comparison discussions of battery degradation. This isn't mentioned in the battery report although this point is:

In October, 2012, Andy Palmer, executive vice president of Nissan stated that the
battery degradation norm was set using the LA4 driving cycle and 12,500 miles per year, yielding an average battery capacity level of 80% at 5 years and 70% at 10 years.

I suppose if the 7,500 mile comment was not mentioned in the report, then maybe it wasn't strictly relevant, and maybe Nissan has "moved on" in some way from an argument which in my view was specious, but I am just wondering where things are as to that 7,500 statement (even for drivers with a 12,000 miles per year lease?), especially since the 12,500 miles per year statement is mentioned so prominently at the begi- nning.

- Can any data be presented and examined versus other numbers, as to average number of miles per day or week or month or year? Much or all of the report seemed to focus on total miles per car, but many cars and drivers will differ in average miles per day.

- I have to go back and look at trying to integrate car wings data next time I fill things out.

- I'm assuming that temperature for a given zip code are the highest average monthly temp listed at the link given here:
http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/ZipWeather.asp

These numbers seem about right, but when I click into daily, something seems wrong (way too consistent/static). Maybe they are a trailing average?

I find myself thinking often about altitude above sea level. This is, I'm thinking, subsumed within the highest average temp numbers, but is on my mind in part because in my case it is a differentiating point between myself and the Phoenix and Tucson drivers, and so explains why things are a bit cooler here, on average. Altitude is mentioned in the report as a side note in understanding why a zip code may not cover the whole story in the case of an individual car. I have no clear question or statement here other than it might be an idea in recording zip code on a record also to record corresponding altitude information.

- I also find myself wondering as to the long-term impacts of charging at 110-120 as versus 220/240. Was this included as part of the data, or maybe it is buried somewhere in Carwings data?

jlsoaz said:
- I'm assuming that temperature for a given zip code are the highest average monthly temp listed at the link given here:
http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/ZipWeather.asp

These numbers seem about right, but when I click into daily, something seems wrong (way too consistent/static). Maybe they are a trailing average?

I find myself thinking often about altitude above sea level. This is, I'm thinking, subsumed within the highest average temp numbers, but is on my mind in part because in my case it is a differentiating point between myself and the Phoenix and Tucson drivers, and so explains why things are a bit cooler here, on average. Altitude is mentioned in the report as a side note in understanding why a zip code may not cover the whole story in the case of an individual car. I have no clear question or statement here other than it might be an idea in recording zip code on a record also to record corresponding altitude information.

Climate data always looks very smooth, because, in reality, there shouldn't be much difference in average temperatures from one day to the next (even though the short, actual data record may show more variability).

Temperature data appears to be taken from the nearest, official observing station, which may or may not be in your zip code. For mountainous areas, the nearest observing site is usually at an airport on the valley floor. Temperature decreases with altitude at a rate of about 3-5F/1000 ft. So if you are a couple thousand feet above the nearest climate station, you could be as much as 10F cooler. (Of course, in winter, if there's a temperature inversion, you could be several degrees warmer than the valley floor, and along the California coast in summer it isn't unusual for temperatures to be significantly higher at 2,000 ft elevation than they are at sea level.)

I've updated the survey for 2013 vehicles, battery reports, and Carwings data.

I'll be releasing some updated numbers soon.

Keep those reports coming in. I'm interested in new survey participants as well as updated for cars already in the survey.

Thanks!

I've updated the survey to allowing entering battery pack capacity in Ah, as made available via the LEAF Battery App.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application

I'd be interested to get reports from more owners, updates from owners who reported previously, and especially from people who are able to read their pack's amp-hour capacity.

To file your first report: http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/survey.php
To update a previous report: http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/update.php

KJD said:
If you have lost a capacity bar, will you please fill out this survey ?

+1 this survey has the potential to really provide us information of what we can expect down the line. need to get this promoted more! if any LEAFer has even the smallest concern over their range a year from now or 3 years from now, get your data recorded! the more entries, the more accurate the predictions can be

DaveinOlyWA said:
if any LEAFer has even the smallest concern over their range a year from now or 3 years from now, get your data recorded! the more entries, the more accurate the predictions can be

My car appears (for now) to be tracking almost exactly as predicted by the battery aging model for my geographical location in the capacity loss Wiki, and as indicated by the nominal line of the graph Stoaty made.

mwalsh said:
My car appears (for now) to be tracking almost exactly as predicted by the battery aging model for my geographical location in the capacity loss Wiki, and as indicated by the nominal line of the graph Stoaty made.
It would be great if you could add your latest numbers on the survey, that way it's part of the data set and not just a post in the forum.

To submit a first survey report, use this page:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/survey.php

For folks who have submitted a report previously, use the update form:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/update.php

DaveinOlyWA said:
KJD said:
If you have lost a capacity bar, will you please fill out this survey ?

+1 this survey has the potential to really provide us information of what we can expect down the line. need to get this promoted more! if any LEAFer has even the smallest concern over their range a year from now or 3 years from now, get your data recorded! the more entries, the more accurate the predictions can be

This was a timely reminder, I have updated my information and made a couple of suggestions:

- ask folks about the number of temperature bars that they see. For me, during the winter it's usually 5, but a couple of months ago it started to go up to six and now sits there pretty firmly. This temperature bar doesn't seem to be displayed in the two android apps (one from Nissan, plus one other) that I use to monitor my car. Do they log this data at the battery checkup?
- I also suggested asking people if they tend to use public charge stations with no shade.
- I also have transitioned to using my residential level II .... was using Level I for about 5 months...... I wonder if that will affect things.

When I attended the Phoenix town hall I listened carefully to a person in the audience who was speaking privately that they had experienced range loss and that they had encountered others who had not.... but why did those others seem to make so much of their non-range-loss? Those others (in at least one example this person was giving) had not driven as many miles and just because a person hasn't personally experienced range loss doesn't mean that it won't happen at some point.

I didn't need this reminder to keep an open mind on the matter, but I thought it was a good reminder that at some point the overly-quick overly-severe range loss might happen to me.

So far I have not lost a bar, and have only driven about 3800 miles in 8 months, but are there some early indeterminate symptoms?.... lately the vehicle seems to charge to 9 bars instead of 10 when set at 80%? And the predicted range seems to not go anywhere near 100 when charged to 100%... maybe even when I have been driving particularly moderately. Mitigating factors include of course that it is getting hotter, ....

Maybe all or some of my concerns are just attributable to the summertime range blues.

I'm thinking of adding a question about tires to the survey. What tires are people using when they replace their original tires? Staying with the Ecotopias or switching to something else? If you've replaced your tires with something other than Ecotopias, please send me a PM with what you're using.

I recently released results from the Plug In America Tesla Roadster battery study.

The full write-up of the study results is available on the Plug In America web site:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/tesla-roadster/PIA-Roadster-Battery-Study.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

survey updated with observations since the software update. I parked the car for a week while out of town so only have about 8 driving days since the update but unlike others, I did not get a temporary boost in capacity but have seen a steady decline since then.

I have gone from roughly 260-265ish to 246-248. Now there has also been a significant rise in temps in the area and others have reported a loss in capacity (including one who lost his 12th bar) including some who have not gotten the SW update yet, so hoping its the BMS limiting the charge due to the heat...

Our Gid readings have been dropping steadily since the spring, without taking the software update. When graphed since we started recording Gids in December, 2011, it's quite striking. We have just 12,028 miles on the odometer. Meanwhile, our Roadster's CAC and ideal range miles have been inching up very slightly in the same time period.

Hi - I was looking at the latest survey vehicle list here:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/vehicles.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and noticed that there is a newer vehicle in Phoenix with less than 1000 miles that is reporting only 8 bars left and significantly lowered range.

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/vehicle.php?vid=377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This looks like (possibly) some sort of error that could skew the survey results.....the driver's comments indicate they are very happy with their new Leaf.... is it possible they have misunderstood the question, or perhaps something else is going on (VIN confusion?). If they're really driving a newer car with 4 bars lost in less than 1000 miles, then that would be an awful quick loss of range.

I'll be speaking at the Plug-In 2013 Conference & Exposition on two panels:

Why Everyone Should Own an Electric Vehicle
An Expert Seminar on Public Education and Outreach
Sept. 30, 2:30-5:30 p.m.

Battery Technology Marches On
Assessing the current and future performance and costs of Lithium Ion and other advances in battery technologies
Oct. 2, 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m.

The agenda is here http://www.plugin2013.com/agenda" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the breakout sessions are listed here http://www.plugin2013.com/breakout-session" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you're interested in attending, you can save $100 by registering by Friday, Aug 30th.

http://www.plugin2013.com/registration-fees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back