PHEV drivers. Generally, pretty obnoxious

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
A co-worker has a PiP and he readily admits that he has never plugged it in and doesn't plan to... He simply wanted the stickers and the better MPG...

No doubt there are some people doing this. But I think the perks are given in consideration of the overall benefit to society of doing so, even if there may be some people gaming the system and "getting away with" less than pius behaviors. For every person deliberately depriving themselves of improved fuel economy, another person may see them in that HOV lane and decide to move in the direction of electric transport themselves.

LeftieBiker said:
One was done charging -- which means he was there a long time.

How does it mean that? It takes all of 45 minutes to charge a PIP from empty to full on L-2.
PiP tends to take a bit under 1.5 hours on L2 to reach full charge. It's not done in 45 minutes. I've started sessions for a few at my work before. It has a fairly wimpy OBC that seems only pull ~2.1 kW at 208 volts.

I am all for public charging to be per hour connected, charging or not. Vendor can set the fee.

HOV permit stickers should come at a cost. Maybe $200 to $600 per year depending on vehicle. JMHO.

I don't mind going a little slow behind someone in the HOV but I refuse to go more than 5 over the limit.
If they want to speed they can use the fast lane. It is an HOV lane not an autobahn.

Good luck.

LeftieBiker said:
One was done charging -- which means he was there a long time.

How does it mean that? It takes all of 45 minutes to charge a PIP from empty to full on L-2. They could have been there all of an hour, or even less.
He was still there (still fully charged) 3 hours later when I came back.

PiP tends to take a bit under 1.5 hours on L2 to reach full charge. It's not done in 45 minutes. I've started sessions for a few at my work before. It has a fairly wimpy OBC that seems only pull ~2.1 kW at 208 volts.

It takes 3 hours on L-1, which matches the claimed time by Toyota, so I assumed it also matched on L-2.

jlv said:
The real question is: Had the vehicle been a Volt or Leaf, would you have had the same reaction to him being there fully charged?

LeftieBiker said:

It takes 3 hours on L-1, which matches the claimed time by Toyota, so I assumed it also matched on L-2.
http://www.toyota.com/prius-plug-in-hybrid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says " Prius Plug-in Hybrid’s Lithium-ion battery charges in three hours from a standard 120V AC outlet,18 or about half that time from a 240V charger."

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2015+toyota+prius+plug+in+hybrid+revolutionary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says "Recharging using an external AC outlet takes approximately 2.5 to 3.0 hours using a standard household outlet or about 1.5 hours using a 240V EV charger (Toyota.leviton.com)..."

adric22 said:
This thread is funny. I see people complaining that PiP drivers are rude because they drive so slow in the HOV lane. Then others are claiming PiPs are rude because they are driving at very high speed in the HOV lane. While others are complaining that PiP drivers never plug in their car, and yet others are complaining that they plug them in too often.

I think what we're witnessing is a perfect case of anecdotal evidence. We don't really have any scientific statistics.
LOl! On the 1st two points, well before the PiP existed, there have been anecdotal complaints about the 1st two points re: Prius drivers. And, Mr. Roadshow published some letters to that effect at http://www.mercurynews.com/mrroadshow/ci_11917435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. At the time, he himself was a Prius driver. Not sure about now.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:

http://www.toyota.com/prius-plug-in-hybrid/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says " Prius Plug-in Hybrid’s Lithium-ion battery charges in three hours from a standard 120V AC outlet,18 or about half that time from a 240V charger."

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/2015+toyota+prius+plug+in+hybrid+revolutionary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says "Recharging using an external AC outlet takes approximately 2.5 to 3.0 hours using a standard household outlet or about 1.5 hours using a 240V EV charger (Toyota.leviton.com)..."

Looks like I misremembered that. Point taken.

Wow there's a lot of prejudice.

I'm sure after what I've read the last thing you guys want to hear is a different opinion but maybe if you want to make sure HOV privileges are earned this should be the only solo vehicle we let in.

IT_%28South_Park%3B_The_Entity%29.jpeg

I'm sure you don't like people making assumptions about you because you drive a leaf, colour of your skin, gender, family background, style of dress, occupation, social class and on and on so you shouldn't make assumptions about PIP drivers.

adric22 said:
The real question is: Had the vehicle been a Volt or Leaf, would you have had the same reaction to him being there fully charged?

Yeah! I'd be pissed if I had been wanting to charge and couldn't. Hogging a station after you're done charging is lame, no matter what size battery. Of course, knowing how long they've been there after being full is a bit tricky. There should be some reasonable amount of time to get your car.

A lot of my city's public L2 is in paid parking, with two hour limits Monday-Friday 9-5pm. There's also enforcement of ICE and 2+ hour campers during the workweek. Even then, these are busy spots. At least most of the cars are charging. :)

TomT said:
A co-worker has a PiP and he readily admits that he has never plugged it in and doesn't plan to... He simply wanted the stickers and the better MPG...

LeftieBiker said:
I have yet to see an actual fact-based correlation that shows that the PIPs using HOV lanes are mostly not being charged. So far it's just opinion and innuendo.

currently running polls at various sites and its running between 16.2 and 18.8% of people who do not plug in at every opportunity including people who plug in "occasionally or rarely at home"

currently running polls at various sites and its running between 16.2 and 18.8% of people who do not plug in at every opportunity including people who plug in "occasionally or rarely at home"

That's fairly low, and indicative of normal human behavior, if I read that sentence correctly. Although not plugging in "at every opportunity" is too strict a standard. Almost no one meets that one.

DaveinOlyWA said:
TomT said:

LeftieBiker said:
I have yet to see an actual fact-based correlation that shows that the PIPs using HOV lanes are mostly not being charged. So far it's just opinion and innuendo.

Links?

Anything in those polls to factor out those who bought a PIP as the most fuel efficient way to get partial zero emissions for those who can't plug in at home? As we have had many people here post wanting to know if a leaf will work when they rent or have a condo and it almost always comes up that a leaf owner or two tells them to go buy a PIP (best for no home/work charging) or volt (best for work charging only).

There's also the potential that someone walks into a Toyota dealer and says "I hear there are special vehicles that get low emissions that get an HOV sticker." They then walk out the owner of a new PIP with a salesperson saying "oh you don't have to plug it in". They think they're doing the right thing and getting a perk for it. If they traded in a gas guzzler they're actually doing more than a lot of us here who came to the leaf from an already fuel efficient car like the insight or prius. Fueleconomy.gov 15000 miles a year a 2008 Tahoe V8 20.8 barrels of oil a year. 2008 Chrysler 300 v6 18.3. Non plug in gen iii prius 6.6, plug in 4.7.

Neither of those 2 things makes a person "obnoxious".

LeftieBiker said:

That's fairly low, and indicative of normal human behavior, if I read that sentence correctly. Although not plugging in "at every opportunity" is too strict a standard. Almost no one meets that one.

Statistically I bet you'd be able to prove that people willing to complete, let alone even get exposed to the opportunity to see these polls are already on a forum looking for information about cars/pip and hence more educated about the car and more likely to plug in.

By that logic also any online poll is worthless since it will not get a proper random sampling to reflect the general population. The only way to do that is to actually get the owner info from the state(s) you want to sample and making it random.

adric22 said:
jlv said:
Yes. Leaving a fully charged car plugging in and hogging a charging spot is bad behavior.

However, I tend to feel that using a limited public charging resource for plugging in a "tiny battery" vehicle like the PIP borders on bad etiquette.

If it's a public EVSE EVs (big-ger battery) have no claim to priority. Think public restroom for a model.
jlv said:
adric22 said:
jlv said:
Yes. Leaving a fully charged car plugging in and hogging a charging spot is bad behavior.

However, I tend to feel that using a limited public charging resource for plugging in a "tiny battery" vehicle like the PIP borders on bad etiquette.

Back