PHEV drivers. Generally, pretty obnoxious

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
minispeed said:
89756186.jpg

We have also laws in California that regulate the usage of parking spots for charging stations. The problem is that many if not most charging spots are NOT signposted, so if the spot is ICEd, or hogged by an inconsiderate EV/PHEV driver, there is nothing law enforcement can do about it.

unofficial survey of PiP owner charging habits thru a few online forums including twitter and Facebook. all duplicate entries removed as much as possible

89 Charge EVERY night at home
179 Charge EVERY night at home and every day publicly or at home
151 Charge EVERY night at home and occasionally during the day
37 Charge mostly every night at home
41 Charge occasionally at home or away from home
12 rarely charge anywhere

so the people who don't charge much (the last two categories) were a bit lower than I expected and like all surveys, I did not think to ask how many of the 12 lived in a place where charging was simply not a viable option. (yes, hanging extension cords from 2nd story apartment windows means nearly everyone has an option but...)

I also did not think to ask the "41" how often they charged just to take advantage of better parking options moreso than getting a charge.

but all these thoughts came up during feedback from the participants so my next survey will be better.

But it does appear that most PiPers are "EV wannabes" who try to get mileage comparable to the "big boys" and that is probably why they receive so much grief from the "real" EVers like us. After all, what we accomplish in one public charging session they must do in 3 or more. So ya, that does bring up the possibility that you could go to a store, see a charger in use by a PiP, think "I'll charge at the next stop" then go in shop, go to the next spot and see the VERY SAME PiP charging there as well...

^ The problem with such self-directed surveys is that PIP owners who can't be bothered to charge at all are less likely to bother with websites and surveys about the car, IMHO. If they can't be bothered to charge the car they certainly don't seem to be PIP "enthusiasts" who would visit PIP websites.

dgpcolorado said:
^ The problem with such self-directed surveys is that PIP owners who can't be bothered to charge at all are less likely to bother with websites and surveys about the car, IMHO. If they can't be bothered to charge the car they certainly don't seem to be PIP "enthusiasts" who would visit PIP websites.

ya, expected the ones who did not charge to be under represented. only 2 answers came from online forums. the other 10 came from Google plus or twitter which is a much more generalized audience

Hmm, so now we have two more Bad Behaviors exhibited by those Evil PIP Drivers. First, they are phonies, trying to imitate the REAL EV drivers (including Volt drivers, apparently), and second, they are racing around ahead of us, taking more than one space from us at a time. Those bastards!!!

DaveinOlyWA said:
unofficial survey of PiP owner charging habits thru a few online forums including twitter and Facebook. all duplicate entries removed as much as possible

89 Charge EVERY night at home
179 Charge EVERY night at home and every day publicly or at home
151 Charge EVERY night at home and occasionally during the day
37 Charge mostly every night at home
41 Charge occasionally at home or away from home
12 rarely charge anywhere

so the people who don't charge much (the last two categories) were a bit lower than I expected and like all surveys, I did not think to ask how many of the 12 lived in a place where charging was simply not a viable option. (yes, hanging extension cords from 2nd story apartment windows means nearly everyone has an option but...)

I also did not think to ask the "41" how often they charged just to take advantage of better parking options moreso than getting a charge.

but all these thoughts came up during feedback from the participants so my next survey will be better.

But it does appear that most PiPers are "EV wannabes" who try to get mileage comparable to the "big boys" and that is probably why they receive so much grief from the "real" EVers like us. After all, what we accomplish in one public charging session they must do in 3 or more. So ya, that does bring up the possibility that you could go to a store, see a charger in use by a PiP, think "I'll charge at the next stop" then go in shop, go to the next spot and see the VERY SAME PiP charging there as well...

Did the survey included questions about how many miles they drive?

IE the following can be 100% electric drivers.
89 who charge every night at home if they drive less than 11 miles a day have no need to do anything else.
179 charge every night at home and every day, if they drive less than 22 miles a day.
151 who charge every night at home and sometimes during the day if they drive under 11 miles most days and sometimes is for the days they do more.
37 charge mostly every night if they commute less than 5 miles a day.

The 89, 179 and 151 every night at home can also be using the least gas possible if they drive every day over 84 miles (and since we at this forum would never tell someone who drives 84 miles everyday to buy a leaf a much lower number can be used to make the PIP better than a leaf) and further than the prius/volt range that gives the prius the ICE advantage, or if they have a need for 5 seats so they couldn't have bought a volt.

That leaves 41 and 12 that we can say don't get the most EV out of the car that they can which would be about 10% and of that 10% some may be unable to charge reliably making it unfair to include them in the group with bad charging behaviour. There's still an unknown (or unshared with us here) on the value of the other numbers.

LeftieBiker said:
Hmm, so now we have two more Bad Behaviors exhibited by those Evil PIP Drivers. First, they are phonies, trying to imitate the REAL EV drivers (including Volt drivers, apparently), and second, they are racing around ahead of us, taking more than one space from us at a time. Those bastards!!!
another - they don't exhibit any range anxiety at all. A fully fueled Plug-in Prius has a range of over 500 adult driven miles. When they do pull into a gas station they think "now, how the heck do I put gas in this thing?".

srl99 said:
LeftieBiker said:
another - they don't exhibit any range anxiety at all. A fully fueled Plug-in Prius has a range of over 500 adult driven miles. When they do pull into a gas station they think "now, how the heck do I put gas in this thing?".

Yes, I think my housemate gasses up her PIP once a month, whether it needs it or not. ;-)

Back