OMG Carwings !!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't the electricity consumption the total of what you used from the battery minus the regen number? I thought I saw that somewhere...

Randy said:
Isn't the electricity consumption the total of what you used from the battery minus the regen number? I thought I saw that somewhere...
It is - but you won't be getting more than 5mpkwh on highways. I think carwings is not giving the right data - time for a thread on that. Even assuming only 20 kwh of useable capacity ...

evnow said:
Even assuming only 20 kwh of useable capacity ...

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the 24kWh is usable now, with the final ~4kWh (refuel lamp on) contained within those 2 final red bars. Meaning, conveniently, that each bar (including the 2 reds) is worth ~2kWh/8.35% of the total pack charge.

I'm finding these bars to be the most accurate representation of the state of one's vehicle than any other number spit out by the car. Of course, I wish it were a more accurate representation, with maybe 24 bars representing ~1kWh /~4.15%, or even 48 bars representing ~0.5kWh/~2.05%. :lol: But that's the only real negative I have about the existing scale - being somewhat hard to read on the move. Which would, of course, be even more difficult if the bars were narrower and there were more of them. :oops:

mwalsh said:
evnow said:
Even assuming only 20 kwh of useable capacity ...

I think it's pretty safe to assume that the 24kWh is usable now, with the final ~4kWh (refuel lamp on) contained within those 2 final red bars. Meaning, conveniently, that each bar (including the 2 reds) is worth ~2kWh/8.35% of the total pack charge.
In that case, definitely some of the numbers we'are seeing for kwh used (and this mpkwh?) are wrong. Overly optimistic.

One of you owners should raise a ticket with Nissan on this.

mwalsh said:
I'm finding these bars to be the most accurate representation of the state of one's vehicle than any other number spit out by the car. Of course, I wish it were a more accurate representation, with maybe 24 bars representing ~1kWh /~4.15%, or even 48 bars representing ~0.5kWh/~2.05%. :lol: But that's the only real negative I have about the existing scale - being somewhat hard to read on the move. Which would, of course, be even more difficult if the bars were narrower and there were more of them. :oops:

+1. Those bars are hard to count when you're driving! "one...two..three..four..!CAR! Uh...is that one five or six? How many empty spaces are there? Three. Three from twelve is !TRUCK! Where was I? One..two..."

:lol:

Jimmydreams said:
mwalsh said:

+1. Those bars are hard to count when you're driving! "one...two..three..four..!CAR! Uh...is that one five or six? How many empty spaces are there? Three. Three from twelve is !TRUCK! Where was I? One..two..."

:lol:

oh geeuz!! as you well know...such a graph would be color coded with probably 4 bars of alternating colors. your only skill would be to memorize the "4" times table

Jimmydreams said:
Am I the only one getting "Fail" messages when I refresh my display from the owners portal?? It seems to be down.....

Nope, it's not just you. I started getting failures last night, interspersed with occasional success. I started down the path of wondering if it had to do with the fact that I was trying L1 charging for the first time (which really wouldn't make a lot of sense, but the claim was the server couldn't communicate with the car and it was parked where it normally is inside the garage, no reason to really think cellular reception had changed unless maybe I was...I don't know, warping space and time in the immediate vicinity of the car with the L1 charge cable and (ill-advised) extension cord use), but the failures are still happening right now (9:30 AM), and the car is parked in the open at my wife's office and not plugged in.

ahh the pitfalls of the AT&T network. cellular service is not a static thing. the service is constantly fluctuating and what is here today working fine may not work tomorrow...

now if you had signal, it should come back as long as no towers were moved

wsbca said:
Jimmydreams said:
Am I the only one getting "Fail" messages when I refresh my display from the owners portal?? It seems to be down.....

Nope, it's not just you. I started getting failures last night, interspersed with occasional success.

+1. Someone told me yesterday that AT&T was having unrelated network problems. I've not been able to confirm that as true. But if it is, maybe it's something to do with that?

mwalsh said:
wsbca said:
Jimmydreams said:

Nope, it's not just you. I started getting failures last night, interspersed with occasional success.

+1. Someone told me yesterday that AT&T was having unrelated network problems. I've not been able to confirm that as true. But if it is, maybe it's something to do with that?
Me too. Intermittent starting this am and now won't retrieve car data at all. I tried later this morning from another spot a few miles away (diff cell tower) and no dice. My ATT coverage is excellent at my house so I suspect it's another issue. Called the carwings extension and they've "escalated" it... yeah, we know how well that works.
Anyway, glad this forum is able to crowd-source some info in near real-time.

Hi guys,

I have been actively reading on this board, thanks for your greeat spirit and input!

May I ask if anyone - yes including the "hybrid" (Toyota THS I or THS II) drivers really know how the braking - which in part you guys define as "regen" actually works in in "full" Hybrid system?

... ok I can't see any one raising your hand, so I have to take that the answers is actually "no"...

In full hybrid system like the Toyota THS II, you have several levels of "braking"...

1. foot of gas... some people call it coasting,

2. applying breaks (light to heavy) I will expand on that in a minute or two.

3. and using the "go" pedal. (accelerator)

4. Yes even in the 2010 Prius - and later the Cruise Control (CC)

1. The stage foot of the gas is the simulation of the ICE and conventional transmission braking of a conventional car. This is what you guy most commonly refer to as the “only” regen mode in the car. Well that is only a mild software delta of letting the E-motor become a Generator. If look at the Prius 2010 and watch the little indicator in the Eyebrow display, you will see that the bar fluctuates in size if you are using CC – lets say set at 45 mph. The Software is designed to maintain the speed with in 75% of its target speed, by letting the E-motor do up to 90% of braking, while “no” friction brake effort is being modulate to the slow down process.
2. Applying the brakes, here is where you have an intelligent “mixture” of friction brakes and E-motor breaking up to the 90% of the motors capacity (30 KW – 50 KW or what ever the motor can do).
The one most important thing for you guys to realize is that the brake force modulation is mainly directly modified by the “software” depending on the “force” / “pressure” you are applying to the brake pedal!!!!
The larger your force on the pedal the greater the instant amount of “friction” brake functions is being modulate to the wheels, and the E-motor does not get to do much “regen”!!!!
The less / slower you apply break force the more up to the max power of the e-motor is being modulate in the braking effort, with little assist from the friction brakes.
This is how you guys can – get the most out of your KWH in the driven miles, you are driving.
3. The Go pedal is an interesting alternative that alows you to "modulate" how much the e-motor lets go of it's regen effort to the benifit of foward moving forces. Just a little "gas" pressure on the go pedal can go a loooong way, without really using more then 1 or 2 kw of power, just enough to let the e-motor "balance" it self.
4. mentioned above is a great stress reliever in the prius - and is also active in the Leaf.

I am a hypermiler - own and drive a Camry 2007 Hybrid - current average 43.7 MPG - I have owned and operate one of the first Gen II (THS II) Prius on which my life time average reached 61 MPG over 28 K miles driving. The breaks on the 55 K miles driven Camry do not even show "any" signs of wear, and have never been changed!

Hope that helps you guys become the top game players on Carwings.

EVDRIVER said:
wsbca said:
EVDRIVER said:
an SOC display, a real time total KW consumption display in place of the gimmicky Leaf tree which is as useful as, well, nothing. How about a few user-sleectable regen preset profiles that actually make sense. Funny you mention MB, I just finished some work for them:) I suggested they do an EV-based episode.

All that does sound pretty sweet. Though the dash interface is probably inflexible it seems like there could be plenty of flexibility in the nav display.

Regen mods would be great - in my (very limited) experience it does seem rather light in certain circumstances even compared to our Civic hybrid. Has to be at least theoretically possible in the firmware, right?

It would be entertaining (?) to see MB do something (hopefully non-destructive :). If and when Top Gear gets hold of one (the real Top Gear, not the American version), I don't know if I'm hoping it's a Clarkson review and he somehow looks favorably on it, or the less risky proposition of May or Hammond driving it and then simply putting up with abuse from the former.

Mods are possible, if I had my car now it would be underway. I modified the regen on my last EV and changed the entire Siemens profile. Regen on the Leaf is low, all the experienced EV drivers that have driven the Leaf for extended lengths know this, it was a function of making it like a "car", they kind of over compensated and missed the key thing an EV can do to an ICE driver, invoke a sense a sense of passion and connection to the driving experience. The torque is there but there is an inverse side, good regen gives a feel to the car that can only be explained through the experience. It connects the driver to the road via an intangible sense of creating energy. As odd as it seems it becomes a great part of the EV experience and once one feels and connects to this over time they don't want to give it up, it separates an EV from a normal car in another way that Leaf drivers don't experience yet but likely will if some have their way. It is these few simple components in the experience that make driving an EV a rewarding and exciting experience and in turn unsuspecting future addicts:)

PS- Train horns, gas generators, trailers, and fan wind mills on the roof will not be some of those mods.

Back