OMG Carwings !!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVDRIVER said:
Yes, but they sure don't need to have a leaf growing tree on the dash, I mean come on, talk about a useless indicator that does not give any real-time feedback which is proven to change behavior and teach people about efficiency.
There will always be some marketing aspects to the whole thing - like the small PV on the roof. What is silly for you or I might be fun for someone else. Silly entertainment is all fine - if it doesn't hurt.

(for terrible entertainment think of CNN live coverage of bombing of innocent people in far away places)

wsbca said:
EVDRIVER said:
an SOC display, a real time total KW consumption display in place of the gimmicky Leaf tree which is as useful as, well, nothing. How about a few user-sleectable regen preset profiles that actually make sense. Funny you mention MB, I just finished some work for them:) I suggested they do an EV-based episode.

All that does sound pretty sweet. Though the dash interface is probably inflexible it seems like there could be plenty of flexibility in the nav display.

Regen mods would be great - in my (very limited) experience it does seem rather light in certain circumstances even compared to our Civic hybrid. Has to be at least theoretically possible in the firmware, right?

It would be entertaining (?) to see MB do something (hopefully non-destructive :). If and when Top Gear gets hold of one (the real Top Gear, not the American version), I don't know if I'm hoping it's a Clarkson review and he somehow looks favorably on it, or the less risky proposition of May or Hammond driving it and then simply putting up with abuse from the former.

Mods are possible, if I had my car now it would be underway. I modified the regen on my last EV and changed the entire Siemens profile. Regen on the Leaf is low, all the experienced EV drivers that have driven the Leaf for extended lengths know this, it was a function of making it like a "car", they kind of over compensated and missed the key thing an EV can do to an ICE driver, invoke a sense a sense of passion and connection to the driving experience. The torque is there but there is an inverse side, good regen gives a feel to the car that can only be explained through the experience. It connects the driver to the road via an intangible sense of creating energy. As odd as it seems it becomes a great part of the EV experience and once one feels and connects to this over time they don't want to give it up, it separates an EV from a normal car in another way that Leaf drivers don't experience yet but likely will if some have their way. It is these few simple components in the experience that make driving an EV a rewarding and exciting experience and in turn unsuspecting future addicts:)

PS- Train horns, gas generators, trailers, and fan wind mills on the roof will not be some of those mods.

evnow said:
There will always be some marketing aspects to the whole thing - like the small PV on the roof.

Oh, now why did you have to go and pick on the Greenstriping, bro? :ugeek:

From my reading of the Service Manual, the technician tests for the Solar Panel involve "Make sure it's not SUCKING power from the battery through a failed backwash diode." If it's not doing anything, it's working perfectly. :)

What about a solar barbecue in the back for tailgating? A solar powered steam VAC for the interior? Believe it or not all those not so functional items add quite a bit of weight and expense. I would be for the solar panel if it vented the cabin and I still think a train horn is the best option they missed.

EVDRIVER said:
Regen on the Leaf is low
... without pushing on the brake pedal. It does plenty of regen (up to 30 kW) but it makes you push the brake pedal to get it.

That way it can tailor the amount of regen going into the pack based on conditions without a significant effect on how fast it decelerates when "coasting" - for example, if the pack is full or near full the LEAF limits how much regen is available through the brake pedal.

I am really liking Carwings as my first day finally uploaded:
Distance Traveled: 32.9 miles
Energy Consumed: 5.3 kWH
Average Energy Economy: 6.2 miles/kWH
Travel Time 2.0 hrs

I would be on top of the world results if it would all transfer there properly.

5344875890_c095b1ba08_z.jpg

After this trip I scheduled an 80% charge for today and when I checked it this morning it was an actual of 83%. When I backed out of my driveway the ECO mode gave me an estimated range of 101 miles! I am curious to see what a full charge can possibly give me.

drees said:
EVDRIVER said:
Regen on the Leaf is low
... without pushing on the brake pedal. It does plenty of regen (up to 30 kW) but it makes you push the brake pedal to get it.

That way it can tailor the amount of regen going into the pack based on conditions without a significant effect on how fast it decelerates when "coasting" - for example, if the pack is full or near full the LEAF limits how much regen is available through the brake pedal.

Limiting regen for high SOC is normal, only 30Kw or regen leaves 50kw of potential unused, for now:)

Skywagon said:
... I would be on top of the world results if it would all transfer there properly....
Skywagon, I see you're on the "rankings". I've been seeing my data through Carwings for about a day now but so far I'm "unranked". Did you do anything besides check the box to allow your data to be shared?

sparky said:
Skywagon said:
... I would be on top of the world results if it would all transfer there properly....
Skywagon, I see you're on the "rankings". I've been seeing my data through Carwings for about a day now but so far I'm "unranked". Did you do anything besides check the box to allow your data to be shared?

Nope, but all my information is not uploading, I would be winning the miles/kWH if it were.

Skywagon said:
sparky said:
Skywagon said:

Nope, but all my information is not uploading, I would be winning the miles/kWH if it were.

I'm guessing that since you have the warmest weather of us with cars right now, that is helping...or are you just always going downhill?? :lol:

Ready2plugin said:
I'm guessing that since you have the warmest weather of us with cars right now, that is helping...or are you just always going downhill?? :lol:

Actually, it is in the 60's here in Phoenix for a high. I actually heard a beep this morning and saw the low outside temp warning - 38 degrees. Streets are flat here and I do have experience hypermiling when I had a first generation Honda Insight. Today I took several people for rides and showed them the acceleration potential so the ranking for today may not be as high... well see.

It was still great to see 6.2 miles/kWH!

Well, Carwings updated finally and I am #1 for Energy Economy out of 23 people in the worldwide portion... at least for now... 6.2 miles/kWH. In second place is RedRandy at 5.8 miles/kWH.

It will be interesting as more people join after receiving their cars.

Does anyone have a direct link to the owners portal (and/or carwings?)? I was going through my Nissan Leaf dashboard to get to carwings, but "my account" page is DOA for some reason.

???

So my car finally stated registering data with Carwings yesterday. Now the only problem is that the numbers are complete nonsense. There is NO WAY that drive only used 5.6kWh and gave me 5.3mpkWh. Probably closer to 9kWh with 4mpkWh.

driving_data2.jpg

Back