OMG Carwings !!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turbo2ltr said:
Oh yeah? I'm going to jack the front wheels off the ground and set the cruise, we'll see who gets the best mileage! :twisted: :lol:
I'd - if there is no cheating ;)

evnow said:
ecoobsessive said:
Not for me....I'm ready for the competition. As another member put it: "let the games begin!" :p
Well, few would be able to beat me. Given the temperate climate and mostly city roads I drive on :twisted:

I've yet to see anyone with a Civic GX hit 50mpg or ave. 42mpg overall like I've done over the past 3 years, so I'll have no trouble snatching that Platinum trophy! :lol: :mrgreen:

Yep, me too! I'm going for the worst possible! Maybe driving around with the heat and AC on high full time also!

GroundLoop said:
I hope it also tells you how close to the "bottom" you are (worst, second worst, third, etc).
That's where you'll find me.

The best thing about this 'scoring' platform is that you can watch others who get GREAT miles/kWh runs and pick their brain about how they're driving vs what you're doing.

When I got my ScanGauge II for my Escape Hybrid, I was seeing other identical cars get MUCH higher mpg numbers than I was. A tip or two later, I still wasn't getting the same numbers, but mine went up by about 10%, and that's good enough for me. :D

you could drive on a long downhill route and get a number one ranking. With regen in ECO you could get 20 mile / Kwh
nobody know what type of terrain you drive.

ok Washingtonians; how many of you have already gotten your 12 volt seat heater/vibrator yet?

ok, well i got mine for Christmas! i have a 22 mile RT commute at mostly 40 mph. 9 miles one way to work with the first 7 miles with nothing but a right and left turn. after two roundabouts, i hit my first traffic light at 7.4 miles. in the morning there is virtually no traffic, lights are pathetically easy to time (i cross over I-5 and there are 7 lights in a half mile area) and i am averaging over 55 mph in my Prius in winter!!

so i think i can rank up there!! this is going to be AWESOME!

On the Carwings ranking pages, in the World Rankings there are two IDs showing (Omkar and Luke), but it looks like each leading entry is shown as "one of eight" (1/8) - does that mean that there are 8 cars feeding data but only those two have "Joined" the world rankings? For example I know Gudy is feeding data, but he's not showing up. And he'd probably be well ahead of Omkar in Distance Traveled and Number of Trips but Omkar shows as number one (again, seemingly 1 of 8). So do you only get ranked if you join, but you get counted in the potential population if you simply exist in the system? That seems a little weird - being #1 of 8 but not really...but then having an anonymous (un-joined) vehicle ranked #1 would also be odd. Any thoughts?

Also I see nothing in the Regional rankings - I wonder how big each region is. We just picked up our car last night so we don't have any data showing yet.

wsbca said:
On the Carwings ranking pages, in the World Rankings there are two IDs showing (Omkar and Luke), but it looks like each leading entry is shown as "one of eight" (1/8) - does that mean that there are 8 cars feeding data but only those two have "Joined" the world rankings? For example I know Gudy is feeding data, but he's not showing up. And he'd probably be well ahead of Omkar in Distance Traveled and Number of Trips but Omkar shows as number one (again, seemingly 1 of 8). So do you only get ranked if you join, but you get counted in the potential population if you simply exist in the system? That seems a little weird - being #1 of 8 but not really...but then having an anonymous (un-joined) vehicle ranked #1 would also be odd. Any thoughts?

Also I see nothing in the Regional rankings - I wonder how big each region is. We just picked up our car last night so we don't have any data showing yet.

A few days ago I checked Carwings and my data was not in the system yet and it said "one of six" (1/6) and I saw Gudy in the rankings. Now, I see the "one of eight" (1/8) you are seeing. I think there are 8 cars feeding data right now and part of the world rankings. I think that view is a Monthly view and not an All Time view and that might explain it.

Also, when you start the LEAF, there is a message on the Navi that asks if you are ok with it sending data to Nissan. I've hit 'OK' almost every time but I declined once. I'm not sure if that affects which trips have their data sent to Carwings.

wsbca said:

These rankings are only silly pointless entertainment, it's like a race between two swimmers, one in water and one in oil and seeing which one is better with no handicap. The leaf on the car is the second silliest item as it doe snot teach drivers the specific behavior that saves energy, these are both silly marketing gimmicks. Using car wings to track historical data is valuable at a macro level however.

EVDRIVER said:
These rankings are only silly pointless entertainment, it's like a race between two swimmers, one in water and one in oil and seeing which one is better with no handicap.

As opposed to what? All the serious valuable entertainment in the world? But now that you mention it, that Mythbusters episode where they swam through syrup was awesome.

EVDRIVER said:
These rankings are only silly pointless entertainment, it's like a race between two swimmers, one in water and one in oil and seeing which one is better with no handicap.
I agree. But so is everything in life. Does someone who comes from an abusive, poor family get any handicap in SAT ? Atleast these ranking do little harm. They are more like your xbox "achievements".

wsbca said:
EVDRIVER said:

As opposed to what? All the serious valuable entertainment in the world? But now that you mention it, that Mythbusters episode where they swam through syrup was awesome.

As opposed to an SOC display, a real time total KW consumption display in place of the gimmicky Leaf tree which is as useful as, well, nothing. How about a few user-sleectable regen preset profiles that actually make sense. Funny you mention MB, I just finished some work for them:) I suggested they do an EV-based episode.

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
I agree. But so is everything in life. Does someone who comes from an abusive, poor family get any handicap in SAT ? Atleast these ranking do little harm. They are more like your xbox "achievements".

Yes, but they sure don't need to have a leaf growing tree on the dash, I mean come on, talk about a useless indicator that does not give any real-time feedback which is proven to change behavior and teach people about efficiency. Once could drive down a mountain pass and think they are an "efficient" driver, but then again the common denominator audience for this feature is a bit low. How about a gauge on SUVs that grows weeds rather than leaves when it is inefficient? Or One that adds trash cans to show how much dirt the light interior is accumulating, kids will love to watch that one:) "Who just spilled a shake in the back seat!" "I just had three cans appear on the dash!" Gillie, was that you?

EVDRIVER said:
an SOC display, a real time total KW consumption display in place of the gimmicky Leaf tree which is as useful as, well, nothing. How about a few user-sleectable regen preset profiles that actually make sense. Funny you mention MB, I just finished some work for them:) I suggested they do an EV-based episode.

All that does sound pretty sweet. Though the dash interface is probably inflexible it seems like there could be plenty of flexibility in the nav display.

Regen mods would be great - in my (very limited) experience it does seem rather light in certain circumstances even compared to our Civic hybrid. Has to be at least theoretically possible in the firmware, right?

It would be entertaining (?) to see MB do something (hopefully non-destructive :). If and when Top Gear gets hold of one (the real Top Gear, not the American version), I don't know if I'm hoping it's a Clarkson review and he somehow looks favorably on it, or the less risky proposition of May or Hammond driving it and then simply putting up with abuse from the former.

Back