Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After driving the Model S for a month I can say it is a fantastic car... It is quick, smooth and very comfortable. I have not had any major problems at all. I have had to reboot the screen once but that is it. A couple weeks ago I received a software update with lots of new features and can't wait for the next one...

I wonder if Nissan will send me an update for my LEAF to display SOC and offer the new B mode... Not holding my breath.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Tesla Model S car to anyone, sure some owners have reported minor issues and most report TESLA going out of their way to address them.

Train said:
Train said:
Oy vey.

And how many believed Nissan's sales projection a year ago. They just lowered the prices for 2013 Leafs and had to have fire sale leases just to sell what they did the last quarter of 2012.

Using a backlog of Tesla reservations and extrapolating all of them to be sales, well, be my guest.

Tesla, like the Leaf, will have their rabid, enthusiastic buyers who will pay or do anything to get one. After that, I'm not so sure.

At this point, I'm not impressed with fogged windows, water in light casings, gaps in body panels, stuck door handles, and blacked out screens. Not on a $100,000 car.

Looks like someone got their feelings hurt.

18,000 reservations doesn't mean 18,000 sales. We'll have to wait and see. It is just as easy for someone (as they posted above) to reconsider and get their $5000 back. It's a refundable deposit, nothing more.

Hey, it's your money, you can do what you want. But from what I'm reading, many are making this purchase emotionally and not rationally. But for six figures, I'd expect the car to be a lot more put together than the problems some new owners are reporting. I attribute this to Tesla just getting them out of the factory as fast as they can so quality control suffers.

I mean, doors popping open, 12V batteries that already need replacing, paint scratches...

Time will tell if it ends up as another Delorean.

reeler said:
Without mentioning names, it looks like we have an astroturf warrior by the read of some of these comments. Either that or a troll that baits discourse for fun?

Check out a persons profile and other posts. A profile with little detail and a bent in an opposite direction from an enthusiast forum like this spells a shill or troll.

Not sure which, but I just updated my "foe" list to hopefully screen some of the baiting typically from trolls and shills. I suggest you do the same and avoid being baited into uncivil discourse.

Click on someones profile to list them as a "foe" and you will never see that troll/shill's posts again. I feel better already.

Good idea, I'll avoid the Trainwreck that way :)

Hey, Train is a curmudgeon, but he's been around forever, and we love him despite (or perhaps even because of) what he says. He is no troll. I can't think of many times I've agreed with him, but he's definitely not going on my foes list.

Ray

Train said:
...from what I'm reading, many are making this purchase emotionally and not rationally. But for six figures, I'd expect the car to be a lot more put together...
From my perspective, anyone spending six figures on any car is making a purchase emotionally.

Not saying that's wrong, I'm just saying at that price point there is unquestionably a strong emotional component involved in the decision. In fact, there might be some truth in postulating a law that suggests the emotional investment in a car is directly proportional to its price.

timhebb said:
From my perspective, anyone spending six figures on any car is making a purchase emotionally.
Actually anyone buying a new car is making the purchase emotionally. Those who buy used wish they coule be buying a new car emotionally.

Personally I thankfull to anyone buying Model S - both as a shareholder & as an EV enthusiast (I guess my holding of Tesla stock is basically an emotional decision!).

evnow said:
timhebb said:
Actually anyone buying a new car is making the purchase emotionally. Those who buy used wish they coule be buying a new car emotionally.

Personally I thankfull to anyone buying Model S - both as a shareholder & as an EV enthusiast (I guess my holding of Tesla stock is basically an emotional decision!).

I'm both a TSLA shareholder (in my retirement account, I don't worry much about the day to day changes), and will soon be a Model S owner (technically I already am, I've paid in full, just waiting for the car to arrive from the west coast this weekend). Driving a fully electric car is something I've wanted my entire life, to actually own & drive it is one of the things I need to do before my time is up.

I almost bought a Leaf, had the $99 deposit in 4/20/2010, ordered it, the car actually arrived at the dealership, but it just wasn't for me, the Model S takes away all of the issues I had with the shortcomings of the Leaf... Yes, it's more than double the price, but that's the cost of a nearly no-compromise EV right now.

planet4ever said:
Hey, Train is a curmudgeon, but he's been around forever, and we love him despite (or perhaps even because of) what he says. He is no troll. I can't think of many times I've agreed with him, but he's definitely not going on my foes list.

Ray
Amen to that.
I also have avery small number of agreements with Train, but one thjng is clear and that he does represent a segment of this country and is able toprovide his insight in a clear and logical way.

Yes, he gives me frequent headaches but he does prepare me for the times when i meet that segment in public

Love-fest aside, here's Elon talking about hoping to have a profitable quarter sometime this year, probably the last:

http://www.plugincars.com/tesla-reveals-model-x-updates-ceo-musks-discusses-profits-126110.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Consumer Reports takes delivery of its own Tesla Model S:
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/01/our-own-tesla-model-s-finally-arrives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna said:
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/01/our-own-tesla-model-s-finally-arrives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I notice they cheaped out and got one in black instead of paying extra for a better color.

dhanson865 said:
cwerdna said:

I notice they cheaped out and got one in black instead of paying extra for a better color.

Yeah, cheapskates. Only spent $90,000 to give readers an objective opinion of a revolutionary new EV. $750 more for metallic paint would have told me worlds more about the car.

Boomer23 said:
dhanson865 said:
cwerdna said:

Yeah, cheapskates. Only spent $90,000 to give readers an objective opinion of a revolutionary new EV. $750 more for metallic paint would have told me worlds more about the car.

:eek: :? :| :roll: :cool: :) :p :D

well ya know, CR pays for these cars out of their own pockets so they do have a budget.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Boomer23 said:
dhanson865 said:

:eek: :? :| :roll: :cool: :) :p :D

well ya know, CR pays for these cars out of their own pockets so they do have a budget.
But the more expensive paint totally transforms the car's performance, ride, handling and other features that CR will be testing, doesn't it? :lol:

Boomer23 said:
Objective ? You mean, to give their subjective opinion.

DaveinOlyWA said:

I imagine they shouldn't have a problem getting a good price for it after they're done (6 months) ? As long as they don't do their own crash testing ;)

jkirkebo said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I imagine they shouldn't have a problem getting a good price for it after they're done (6 months) ? As long as they don't do their own crash testing ;)

It's very likely one of their employees will buy it, I doubt it will need to be sold outside of their organization. BTW, I have my Model S now, just awesome is all I can say.

Back