Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsleaf said:
ebill3 said:
]Well, guess you ought to pass, then.

Yup. I'm surprised people are okay with that little drive time before purchasing.

Everyone has different priorities. I have a reservation and expect my car this summer. The store in Oslo has two cars available for test drives, and it's not far from me. But a test drive is just not important to me so I haven't bothered yet. I might possibly go there and check out the car in person when they get an EU model, which is supposed to have different seats, but I probably won't drive it then either.

Yeah, I essentially decided on the LEAF based on tech and the 5 minute test drive at the "Drive Electric" event. I did get a longer test drive when I picked it up, but it would have had to have been pretty awful to have caused me to cancel...and from online sources I already knew that wasn't so. I'd feel the much the same on the Tesla, if I ever decided it was worth the coin.

I'd like a test drive, but I won't find anything I didn't already know from sitting in it at the Tesla store and reading online.

smkettner said:
120/240 step up transformer and V1 upgrade(LEAF) might work on TT-30 connector. Model S should be able to dial in amps available.

Or is Model S capable of faster charging on 120v?
The charging hardware in the model S is technically able to pull up to 40A at any voltage from 85 to 277. Whether the software will allow it on low voltages is unknown though.

pic

On the Leaf, the OBC can pull up to 18A, but the software limits to 12A when below 180v.

-Phil

N952JL said:
Do they have enough reservations to fill out the 2013 model year? I would love to have the 85 kWh battery, but I just do not like the size. I like the size of the Leaf, but would like about 3 to 6 inches wider. To me the S is just too large for me. And I hear the X is almost as large. I just have to wait for the version after the X and I want them to remain in business long enough to develop a smaller five place version.
Yeah, I cancelled my Model S reservation when it came time to pony up – it's just too big for my tastes. On the outside, that is. There's actually plenty more headroom and legroom in the LEAF, particularly in the back seat. And I was told by the Tesla rep that the Model X will actually be larger (in length) than the Model S. On the other hand, I'd go for the new electric RAV4 if it had comparable range and AWD – that's a great sized vehicle – I have the ICE version now and like it a lot.

Like many, I'm looking forward to Tesla's follow-on vehicle, a more reasonable-sized sport sedan hatchback. Or if only Nissan would offer a larger battery pack option on the LEAF, I'd trade up even with the existing styling.

gsleaf said:
If you do put down a reservation how much test driving do they let you do? The sales people in our store seemed to say you would get a 15-30 minute drive. That's simply not enough time for me to determine if I'd want to buy the car or not.

I bought a Model S without so much as seeing the car in person. Didn't sit in it, much less test drive it.
If Nissan, GM or anyone else could have delivered an EV with a real world 100 mile range in winter I would have bought it without a test drive.

However, I am an early adopter and I understand this won't work for the general public. Luckily, as more cars get out there Tesla will be able to loosen up on who can get a test drive. Many owners I know have given quite a few test drives (I have given a few myself).

I think being COTY is a pretty good endorsement that the S is a great driving car. I would be fine buying one from just sitting in it and kicking the tires. Tesla test drives are more often for inspiration (to write the check) or if you have very specific (unusual) needs and desires from a cars fit and feel.

TRONZ said:
I think being COTY is a pretty good endorsement that the S is a great driving car. I would be fine buying one from just sitting in it and kicking the tires. Tesla test drives are more often for inspiration (to write the check) or if you have very specific (unusual) needs and desires from a cars fit and feel.
Not to mention all the other awards and positive reviews it's been given:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S#Recognition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I test-drove the Model S when my number came up, and I have to admit, it was one of the reasons I decided to cancel and wait it out. It was great, but I was just not sufficiently blown away to justify the cost. So we kept the Leaf, and we also just leased the Fit EV. Regret is only mild :).

gsleaf said:
For those of you who bought, how much of an issue is it that the charging port is in the back vs. the front like the Leaf?
It's actually on the driver's side towards the back, not on the "back" proper. I don't think it'll be an issue at all because:
1) In my garage, the EVSE is on the driver's side wall anyway.
2) The Tesla SuperChargers are positioned appropriately.
3) Many public chargers have a pretty long cord (20'-25').
4) For those that don't, you can just back into the parking spot instead. :D

gsleaf said:
For those of you who bought, how much of an issue is it that the charging port is in the back vs. the front like the Leaf?
It will be an irritant. Have not received the car yet, but because of my rented garage layout, the car will have to be backed into the garage. Not a big deal, except that while my wife is an excellent and cautious driver, she abhors backing up in close quarters.

(Truth be known, I am not especially fond of backing into tight spots. ;) )

I think Nissan got the position of the charge port right. having it on the side of the car is sub optimal. it's the front of the car that you are staring at when parking, able to easily position the car to conveniently access the charger.

Not sure it really matters, for one thing, you don't have to plug it in nearly as often.
With the 85KW pack, i'll mostly be charging in my garage, or if on the road at a SuperCharger location, they are designed for where the port is.

It's also completely hidden, unless you know where to look, they did a very nice job tucking it into the drivers side rear marker lamp reflector.

It's unclear what their plans are for Europe, as they need something with more pins, since 3 phase is standard over their, and adapters are not allowed. Many think the frunk might be where the European charging connector is installed.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I think Nissan got the position of the charge port right. having it on the side of the car is sub optimal. it's the front of the car that you are staring at when parking, able to easily position the car to conveniently access the charger.

For the Leaf I agree. The Leaf is short, and needs frequent charging. The Model S is long, and doesn't need much L2 public charging.

In my garage, having the port in the front of the Model S would be a problem, as there's not much space left there after I have driven in. The Leaf would have more than enough space in front, being about 2' shorter (but it is parked outside so it doesn't matter).

The right rear location is actually perfect for my garage and the only inconvenience is having to back into public charging spots the few times I need to use one.

gsleaf said:
So slightly different question, what's the advantage of having it on the rear drivers side?

It discorages owners from using public L2 chargers and reinforcing the stereotype that driving an EV is time consuming. I almost wonder if they were considering putting in a receptacle on each side at one time.

coolfilmaker said:
mitch672 said:
or if on the road at a SuperCharger location, they are designed for where the port is.

Actually, nope.

Looks pretty darn convenient to me, back in the car it's within 2-3 feet of the port on the right three spaces in Milford CT (your picture) the leftmost space, drive straight in, Supercharger cable is on the correct spot a few feet from where the plug is. Can't get much better than that.

Back