Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boomer23 said:
dhanson865 said:
cwerdna said:
Consumer Reports takes delivery of its own Tesla Model S:
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2013/01/our-own-tesla-model-s-finally-arrives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I notice they cheaped out and got one in black instead of paying extra for a better color.

Yeah, cheapskates. Only spent $90,000 to give readers an objective opinion of a revolutionary new EV. $750 more for metallic paint would have told me worlds more about the car.

Well if they plan to take their own photos for use in the magazine or on the web it does matter. It's very hard to see detail/edges/curves with some colors of paint.

Call me silly if you want but if you are going to review a product I say you should pay the 0.83% markup for a color that photogaphs easier.

Just to be clear for the math impaired 0.83% is less than 1%.

mitch672 said:
jkirkebo said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
well ya know, CR pays for these cars out of their own pockets so they do have a budget.

I imagine they shouldn't have a problem getting a good price for it after they're done (6 months) ? As long as they don't do their own crash testing ;)

It's very likely one of their employees will buy it, I doubt it will need to be sold outside of their organization. BTW, I have my Model S now, just awesome is all I can say.

wont be sold. at least highly unlikely to be sold. as in most very new tech cars, they will hold onto it. use it occasionally and put someone on it for long term use study. Dont be surprised to see another report on it a year from now.

People who reserved the car in December are being emailed that their car will be ready in Feb or Mar. Hmmm. They've delivered about 3000 or more cars by now I'd think. 18,000 or so reservationists...let's see... I'm thinking that at least 30% (or more) are not going past the deposit stage and requesting a refund.

Train said:
People who reserved the car in December are being emailed that their car will be ready in Feb or Mar. Hmmm. They've delivered about 3000 or more cars by now I'd think. 18,000 or so reservationists...let's see... I'm thinking that at least 30% (or more) are not going past the deposit stage and requesting a refund.

Yeah, I've been thinking along those lines also. I'm actually one who held a reservation for well over a year and then when it came time to order, decided to drop it and get the refund. The one other explanation for recent reservations getting their cars so early is that the 85kWh batteries are getting built first, so it's possible there are thousands of outstanding orders for smaller batteries, non-air suspension, etc., that are getting moved behind recent reservations who want the $80-100K version of the car.

I think Tesla is great and I wish them all the success in the world. I am just waiting for something a bit less over-the-top, as well as not wanting to be an early adopter for a such a new car company. I'll look again in 2.8 years when my Fit EV lease expires :).

palmermd said:
mitch672 said:
BTW, I have my Model S now, just awesome is all I can say.
Pictures or it did not happen.

It's on the TMC forum: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10554-New-England-Model-S-Deliveries/page25?p=255267&viewfull=1#post255267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Train said:

Except they are not prioducing the following befor after March:

- Cars with standard suspension
- Cars with 40kWh battery
- Red cars
- European cars

So quite a lot of people are jumping the queue there.
Also the reservation rate were accelerating at the time, so much more than 1/12th of the reservations made last year were made in December. I think it was closer to 1/6th.
And they're finalizing everybody that is entitled to skip the price increase before the end of January anyway.

jkirkebo said:
Train said:
Except they are not prioducing the following befor after March:

- Cars with standard suspension
- Cars with 40kWh battery
- Red cars
- European cars

So quite a lot of people are jumping the queue there.
Re: red, huh? I could've sworn I've seen at least one red Model S on the road.

cwerdna said:
Re: red, huh? I could've sworn I've seen at least one red Model S on the road.

Signature Red yes, all of the first cars made initially where using "Signatures Red"
They are not using that color again, it was for the exclusive use of the signature reservations.

For production "Sunset Red" is going to be availble only, and they havn't started using it, yet

mitch672 said:
palmermd said:
mitch672 said:
BTW, I have my Model S now, just awesome is all I can say.
Pictures or it did not happen.

It's on the TMC forum: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10554-New-England-Model-S-Deliveries/page25?p=255267&viewfull=1#post255267" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Congrats! You sold the pip yet or are you keeping it until tesla gets a mother couple NE superchargers?

Train said:

The interesting number isn't the current fraction of "reservationists" that drop out, it is the number of new reservations. That is looking pretty good right now. As the car becomes more of a known item and as the delivery time gets shorter, I'd expect that that fewer of the reservations will be refunded. The first people that ordered do so fairly blindly. Was there even a price? The car was basically an idea. When the reality comes, you might not be as dreamy.

Now that you can go see one, test drive one, ride in the neighbor's one, it is more known. And think about it. Putting money down for a car that will not be delivered for 2 years is a lot different than if the backlog was 2 days. In first case, you have two years to change your mind, lose your job, marry or divorce, buy a house, have a kid, all those reasons why you might change your mind on an expensive car. Two days or even two months, on the other hand, isn't a lot of time.

To make a profit, Tesla Motors needs to make and sell some number of cars per year. This number isn't static, but will vary as things change, such as the cost of building cars, the prices Tesla can charge, the mix of lower end vs higher end cars. To be a viable long term company, this profit needs to be large enough to fund continuing development of new products. I've heard various estimates of the number of cars they need to sell per year, perhaps 20,000 per year is a reasonable guess. Six months ago there were about 10,000 reservations. Now there is about 18,500, and Tesla has delivered over three thousand cars. Looks to me like they are close to that 20k per year rate, even if some percentage drop out.

The drop out rate isn't easy to estimate. First, the deliveries to date have been the high end of the cars. I personally would expect the drop out rate for the lower end of the cars to be higher. No way to tell until Tesla starts to deliver on the lower end cars. Second, when your reservation hits the top of the stack, you get contacted. As I understand it, a reservation holder can defer (take a later delivery date) once, or can downgrade to a lower end car (not yet being delivered). Even if these numbers were exactly known, it wouldn't be clear how many of these delays and deferrals will be drop outs. Only time will tell. And as I discussed above, I'd expect that the reservation drop out rate will decline.

I do not intend to get a Model S, have not reserved any Tesla car, and do not own any Tesla Motors stock.

Train said:

reservation dropouts when the time frame between deposit and delivery is so large probably does not reflect sell-ability of the car.

The Prius suffered the same thing. back in 2006, my 2004 was totaled on Sept 7. at the time the average wait time for a Prius was 3-4 months due to the pending reduction of a fed tax credit Oct 1st, 2006. Remember the credit started at "XX" and when 150,000 units were sold, it was halved the quarter after that sales figure was hit and then halved again the next quarter? well, there was a big rush on to get the max credit at the time.

I immediately ordered another Prius thinking i had no chance to get the max credit and was told it would be 2-3 months. well, a LOT of reservationists dropped out due to change in finances, couldnt wait that long to get a car, and a million other reasons NOT related to the desire to own a Prius and I was able to get mine on Sept 24 a week before the max credit expired.

Later I was talking to my salesman and he said that most of the people who dropped out, ended up getting a Prius later anyway but they were experiencing "about a 50% dropout rate"

Just saw a Tesla S on hwy 620 in Austin, Texas. Had seen Tesla roadster and Fisker Karma locally but did not expect to see a model S here already.

Ian B

mitch672 said:
Congrats ! That's the 90 thousand $ smile ;-)

WetEV said:
Train said:

The interesting number isn't the current fraction of "reservationists" that drop out, it is the number of new reservations. That is looking pretty good right now. As the car becomes more of a known item and as the delivery time gets shorter, I'd expect that that fewer of the reservations will be refunded. The first people that ordered do so fairly blindly. Was there even a price? The car was basically an idea. When the reality comes, you might not be as dreamy.

Now that you can go see one, test drive one, ride in the neighbor's one, it is more known. And think about it. Putting money down for a car that will not be delivered for 2 years is a lot different than if the backlog was 2 days. In first case, you have two years to change your mind, lose your job, marry or divorce, buy a house, have a kid, all those reasons why you might change your mind on an expensive car. Two days or even two months, on the other hand, isn't a lot of time.

To make a profit, Tesla Motors needs to make and sell some number of cars per year. This number isn't static, but will vary as things change, such as the cost of building cars, the prices Tesla can charge, the mix of lower end vs higher end cars. To be a viable long term company, this profit needs to be large enough to fund continuing development of new products. I've heard various estimates of the number of cars they need to sell per year, perhaps 20,000 per year is a reasonable guess. Six months ago there were about 10,000 reservations. Now there is about 18,500, and Tesla has delivered over three thousand cars. Looks to me like they are close to that 20k per year rate, even if some percentage drop out.

The drop out rate isn't easy to estimate. First, the deliveries to date have been the high end of the cars. I personally would expect the drop out rate for the lower end of the cars to be higher. No way to tell until Tesla starts to deliver on the lower end cars. Second, when your reservation hits the top of the stack, you get contacted. As I understand it, a reservation holder can defer (take a later delivery date) once, or can downgrade to a lower end car (not yet being delivered). Even if these numbers were exactly known, it wouldn't be clear how many of these delays and deferrals will be drop outs. Only time will tell. And as I discussed above, I'd expect that the reservation drop out rate will decline.

I do not intend to get a Model S, have not reserved any Tesla car, and do not own any Tesla Motors stock.

All good points but we'll get a clearer picture once all the Teslaniacs get their car. Like the Leaf, there were many EV fanatics who just wanted a mass produced EV and stood in line. After they bought theirs, it was tough sell.

Another new EV, another new group of enthusiasts. As Leaf sales have shown, you have to come to the table with more than just new technology. It has to be practical. More range means more practical.

The Tesla is a remarkable car. I don't care for that huge screen and would rather see traditional knobs and dials for certain things. Looks out of place in the cabin, in my opinion. Tactile works for me. I hate pressing glass that has no give. Buttons and rockers work better than membranes or glass backing, in my opinion. Admittedly, I'm not that much into four door sedans as they all tend to morph into one another on the road.

I don't believe the current sales model will last, though. Sales are made by putting butts in the seats and that car being available-TODAY. A lot can happen in a month that can cause the person to change their mind and buy another car instead. They walk onto the Mercedes lot while they're waiting for their Tesla to be built and they change their mind.

Pretty amazing what Tesla has done in three years, though.

evnow said:
mitch672 said:

It sure is+ $5600 in MA sales tax.
Thinking about it, the sales tax is almost as much as the first car I bought, which was a 1982 Datsun 310GX (was the follow on car to the Datsun B210), of course Datsun is now Nissan...

I would highly recommend going to a show room and leaving all the preconceptions at home... honestly, it's a mind boggling achievement. and yes, it will be very interesting to see if the sales model can succeed.

Train said:
All good points but we'll get a clearer picture once all the Teslaniacs get their car. Like the Leaf, there were many EV fanatics who just wanted a mass produced EV and stood in line. After they bought theirs, it was tough sell.

Another new EV, another new group of enthusiasts. As Leaf sales have shown, you have to come to the table with more than just new technology. It has to be practical. More range means more practical.

The Tesla is a remarkable car. I don't care for that huge screen and would rather see traditional knobs and dials for certain things. Looks out of place in the cabin, in my opinion. Tactile works for me. I hate pressing glass that has no give. Buttons and rockers work better than membranes or glass backing, in my opinion. Admittedly, I'm not that much into four door sedans as they all tend to morph into one another on the road.

I don't believe the current sales model will last, though. Sales are made by putting butts in the seats and that car being available-TODAY. A lot can happen in a month that can cause the person to change their mind and buy another car instead. They walk onto the Mercedes lot while they're waiting for their Tesla to be built and they change their mind.

Pretty amazing what Tesla has done in three years, though.

mitch672 said:
evnow said:
mitch672 said:

It sure is+ $5600 in MA sales tax.
Thinking about it, the sales tax is almost as much as the first car I bought, which was a 1982 Datsun 310GX (was the follow on car to the Datsun B210), of course Datsun is now Nissan...

Mitch; you have to keep us up to date on your owner experiences here.

DaveinOlyWA said:

Anything in particular you are curious about? I am sure there are a number of Model S owners that would be happy to answer any questions.

Zythryn said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Anything in particular you are curious about? I am sure there are a number of Model S owners that would be happy to answer any questions.

well, nothing specific other than the normal day to day peculiarities cars have.

Back