Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KJD said:
Phoenix said:
Re: Blocking access to superchargers. Had the opposite effect on me. Made me WANT to have a Tesla since they are so ahead of the game in thinking what EV drivers need.
You lost me on that one.

In other words, the fact that Tesla has an available supercharging network NOW made me consider their cars, even though I dismissed it initially as being too expensive. In California, the lack of a reliable DCQC network has made me (and probably others) start considering other options.

GoingGreener said:
Just one thing that hasn't been mentioned, but maybe it's just me. The roof for the rear passengers is a bit low.
But definitely a beautiful, well-performing "ground up" car. Also looking forward to a smaller vehicle from Tesla!

Yep, if you plan to have above average height riders in back often, you may want to look elsewhere. Although if you get the Pano roof you get another inch or two. The hatchback design, while giving tons of cargo room, cut down on the headroom in the back seat a bit.

Regarding other comments on the supercharger network, it made no difference in my purchase decision, and I am guessing it made little difference for most of the other couple of thousand owners. The super charger network is being built out by the car manufacturer, and a newcomer to the industry at that. What other company is building out their own network?
Personally, I doubt I will ever use it, simply because I don't need it.
Many two car families will be using their gas guzzler for trips anyways.

And this talk of "limits" on the base model?? Do you consider Leather seats restricted because they don't offer it on a base model of any particular car manufacturer?
Limited colors? Seriously? How are the colors on the base model 'limited'.

Tesla in no way is limiting or restricting the base model. I may be buying one as our family's second car. Sure, their are some things that are not included in the base model. But isn't that why it is called a base model?

Zythryn said:
But isn't that why it is called a base model?
Yes, but it would sure be nice to be able to add a few options to make it more attractive without being pushed to shell out more $$$ for a bigger battery that not everyone might need.

I'm driving north on CA Rt 99 north of Bakersfield and I just spotted a truck heading south with 8 Model S on board, bound for some happy new owners.

surfingslovak said:
Phoenix said:
In California, the lack of a reliable DCQC network has made me (and probably others) start considering other options.
+1!

+2

If I spend double or triple the cost of a LEAF, the last car I want to see in "my" charging spot is a LEAF or other "lesser" car.

Dedicated DC charging nationwide, free, and solar powered is HUGE.

Boomer23 said:
I'm driving north on CA Rt 99 north of Bakersfield and I just spotted a truck heading south with 8 Model S on board, bound for some happy new owners.
An open car carrier? I thought they used a closed van type trailer.

ebill3 said:
Boomer23 said:

Yep, I saw an open carrier, and no covers on the cars that I could see. I'm used to seeing Audi carriers with white covers on the cars, but I didn't see any covers on these Teslas.

My eyes may have deceived me, and those could have been Jaguars, but I don't think so.

Does anyone have any direct knowledge of Tesla's transport policy?

Boomer23 said:
ebill3 said:
Boomer23 said:

Yep, I saw an open carrier, and no covers on the cars that I could see. I'm used to seeing Audi carriers with white covers on the cars, but I didn't see any covers on these Teslas.

My eyes may have deceived me, and those could have been Jaguars, but I don't think so.

Does anyone have any direct knowledge of Tesla's transport policy?
Oh, I asked the question based on a Boston MA delivery video that was around a couple of months ago. It was a closed trailer with two levels. Speculate: For short haul, like within CA - open; for long haul - closed.

TonyWilliams said:
surfingslovak said:
Phoenix said:
In California, the lack of a reliable DCQC network has made me (and probably others) start considering other options.
+1!

+2

If I spend double or triple the cost of a LEAF, the last car I want to see in "my" charging spot is a LEAF or other "lesser" car.

Dedicated DC charging nationwide, free, and solar powered is HUGE.

they are not "solar" powered. They are solar assisted, but all of them are grid tie ins. Not Solar powered.

My understanding is that they either are or will be, virtually all net solar, which is now what a lot of people mean when they say solar powered. the intention is in fact to have the solar systems produce in excess of that required for charging cars, "giving back" to the grid. any way you slice it, it's free for the customer, pretty frign' cool and totally unprecedented in the industry!!!

N952JL said:
they are not "solar" powered. They are solar assisted, but all of them are grid tie ins. Not Solar powered.

GaslessInSeattle said:
My understanding is that they either are or will be, virtually all net solar, which is now what a lot of people mean when they say solar powered. the intention is in fact to have the solar systems produce in excess of that required for charging cars, "giving back" to the grid. any way you slice it, it's free for the customer, pretty frign' cool and totally unprecedented in the industry!!!
Cool, alright, but I'm not holding my breath until they cross the Columbia, let alone the Siskiyous. Go ahead, Elon, prove me wrong - I dare you. ;)

I would love to see one at the intersection of SR512 and I5. Not so much for the free juice, but because my rental situation is going to make charging a real pain. Not crying, I knew that when I signed on the dotted line.

surfingslovak said:
Zythryn said:
But isn't that why it is called a base model?
Yes, but it would sure be nice to be able to add a few options to make it more attractive without being pushed to shell out more $$$ for a bigger battery that not everyone might need.

Umm, the only options that requre a larger battery is the SuperCharge option (60/85kWh only) and Performance (85kWh only). And the SC option wouldn't make sense on a 40kWh since it couldn't make it from one SC to the next one. Performance requires the power output of the 85kWh battery.

And it wasnt the base models that got restricted colors, it was the signatures. They could choose from 4 colors, base model can choose from 10. How's that restricted ?

jkirkebo said:
And the SC option wouldn't make sense on a 40kWh since it couldn't make it from one SC to the next one.
Indeed, and I believe the implied cost of this network and greater station density required to support a car with shorter range is what drove the decision to omit SC on the 40 kWh trim. Still, I believe that it's driving potential customers away, and they may need to revisit this in the future. Some of them might not need to travel across the country in their Model S, but being able to get some electrons quickly in extended metro travel could be a very appealing proposition. Especially in the absence of viable quick charging by other OEMs.

jkirkebo said:
And it wasnt the base models that got restricted colors, it was the signatures. They could choose from 4 colors, base model can choose from 10. How's that restricted ?
teslamnl

To be honest, I'm not familiar with the current situation, but perhaps others will chime in, and say what they missed the most. To be clear, I din't follow the Tesla forum lately, and cancelled my reservation, but I kept hearing how the base model was made into a stepchild. It won't be even offered in Europe, which to me spoke a clear language. I don't think that this is a good move. They may not need this car now, but nobody is able to predict future demand. There could be significant interest in an entry-level premium EV, which would compete with the BMW i3 and the Infinity LE.

Awesome, thanks for sharing this thread. It answered almost all my questions about not getting the tech package.

For others interested in opting out of the tech package... All the Model Scars some with a backup camera, standard def without the tech package, HD with it.
The turn by turn navigation is the biggest thing missing but you can use Google maps to see the route if you have 3G (free for 3 months) or are tethered to your phone via wifi (soon to come). There is still a GPS in the car which is a pointer on the map that shows your location. No turn by turn. Hopefully the S will support Google offline maps in the future or Google navigation. I wonder if this cars web apps are running on android?

The thread linked below is a good read for those interested in this subject.

The car comes
Zythryn said:
EVDrive said:
Thanks for sharing the pics. I like the blue and would choose that color :)

I want to get the the model s without the tech package which is almost $4k and I was wondering if I could still get online connectivity and use Google maps for navigation vs the tech package navigation. Does anyone have any idea about that?

Looks like the answer is 'sort of';)
http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/anyone-receive-car-without-tech-package-yet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zythryn said:
And this talk of "limits" on the base model?? Do you consider Leather seats restricted because they don't offer it on a base model of any particular car manufacturer?
Limited colors? Seriously? How are the colors on the base model 'limited'.

I never mentioned leather seats. :roll: Again, I am referring to the "$50,000 luxury electric car" that Musk keeps touting. For $50,000 (after $7500 rebate) you only get 2 choices in paint colors, white or black, NON-metallic. This is going by memory, as I haven't looked at the options for a LONG time, but any "pretty" metallic colored paints were at an additional charge. By stripping out features like the paint options, a decent electronics package, quick charge port, and more, my $50,000 car quickly became almost $70,000. :? I'm NOT going to pay $70,000 for a "base" Tesla S, especially one that doesn't have access to their charging network.

jkirkebo said:
And the SC option wouldn't make sense on a 40kWh since it couldn't make it from one SC to the next one.
They can easily overcome that by building a CHaDEMO adopter.

This is the biggest reason I'm not getting an S (I'd have overlooked its bloated size, otherwise).

The 2 big issues with their $57k base model is that they don't offer quick charging. If you want quick charging you have to pay $12,000 more for a total of $69,000.
The second issue is if you want built in navigation you have to pay an extra $3,750 to buy the tech bundle. The minimum you could get out the door with built in navigation and quick charging is $72,750.

If they offered quick charging on the base model, the total would be $10k less.
They should sell their base model with quick charging for $59,000 or ~$62,000 after the price increase. That would be awesome but they don't want to do it because they are trying to turn a profit right now and don't seem to really want to sell the base model.

Sad but maybe they loose money on the base model so thy are trying to make it as undesirable as possible but keeping it as an option so they can claim their car is affordable.

The issue of not offering a quick charge option on their base model really bothers me. I would buy the S as soon as they would let me if they offered super charger access on their base model. I wouldn't use it more than a dozen or 2 times a year. Quick charging is essential for any highway capable EV and Tesla knows this.

evnow said:
jkirkebo said:
They can easily overcome that by building a CHaDEMO adopter.

This is the biggest reason I'm not getting an S (I'd have overlooked its bloated size, otherwise).

I agree. As I said above, lack of a Quick Charging option on the base model has been a deal breaker for me as well thus far. The CHAdeMO adapter is super important as well.

There are multiple reasons they do not offer the SuperCharger on the 40KW base model:

#1 - Marketing decision, and physical distance limitations on intial SuperCharger deployment sites:
Tesla is spacing the SuperChargers 150-200 miles apart, in order to blanket the country with as many as they can, while keeping the costs down, they are still a company in their infancy, they don't have the funds to deploy SuperChargers every 100 miles, which would be required for the 40KW model. Also, the 40KW version is designed as an "around town" EV, not for "road trips".. Right or wrong, that IS their thinking and logic, agree with it or not, it is what it is. Also, the smaller 40KW models will take longer to charge, if allowed to at SuperChargers, and the thinking is, they could be blocking their use for the road trippers, who actually need them,

#2 - Because of the #1, SuperChargers are not located in cities, they are on major interstates between cities, so they would be USELESS to most people who want to just extended their range within their local area.
also, because the SuperCharger is 90KW, this would be greater than 2C on the 40KW pack, which it could handle, however, it would affect the long term health of the pack if done many times, or multiple times per day.
This has a warranty implications for the 40KW model longterm, and they'd rather avoid the issue right now.

#3 - They have similar costs for all 3 models, and, they make the least profit on the base model.
At this moment in time, they are deeply, deeply in debt, this is not when they want to go out and sell a bunch of cars that they make little or no profit on. Right now, they need to make the more expensive models more attractive and increase the bottom line. If they ignore this basic fact, and sell you the 40KW base model you seem to insist on, they might not be around to design or sell the third generation more affordable model.
Its really a matter of survival now, and they are selling to the luxury market, that is not as price consous and not looking to save pennies on their luxury car purchase. Like it or not, this is the current situation, which can certainly change once they become more profitable by delivering cars and mass production.

The reality is, they don't really care if a Leaf owner buys a Model S, it's not their target market.
They are trying to capture %2 of the luxury car market, thats over 1,000,000 cars/year, if they can capture 20,000 cars/year of that market, for the next 2-3 years, they will be a success, and will be able to make it long term. and thats what's its all about for Tesla, right now. You don't have to accept this, but thats how it is, right now... If you can't afford the asking price, then don't buy one now, it's not like their are any better choices on the market now.

Back