Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
Cars.com Reviews the 2012 Tesla Model S:
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2013/01/carscom-reviews-the-2012-tesla-model-s.html?shout_id=22798%3A549049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting about the "butt sensor" issues the reviewer encountered. Is this fixed now?

I am not sure why they published dated Jan 3rd, when the review was done prior to the middle of October.
I don't think there was anything to fix among the general cars. I have seen one post by one person indicating a similar problem. No one else I know has experienced this. Either the people in question are contortionists and actually get off the drivers seat, or there was an issue with the pre-production car these guys were given (in which case I say shame on Tesla).
Others have tested this and can't duplicate unless at walking speed. Personally, neither myself, my wife, nor any of the half dozen other people I have given test drives to have ever had this happen.

Poor review in my mind, he got all the prices wrong, and he referred to the signature prices often even though he himself stated all the signature's are sold out.
He did raise some good points, both pro and con.
I also blame Tesla a bit for the review, as if you give a reviewer two cars that both have issues you can't expect that not to affect the flavor of the review, which it obviously did.

I just finalized my order today. I went with a mid-level 60kWh model. The paperwork says delivery in "Early 2013" - and I put my reservation down just a couple months ago. That's a lot sooner than I was expecting. I must admit a little trepidation as this is easily the most expensive thing I've bought outside of my house. But it's also exciting! Time to start pinching those pennies... :shock:

evnow said:
BTW, are they giving test rides for people without the bookings now ?

+1! They are NOT in my area. The staff at our local Fashion Island Tesla store knows me and that we are looking seriously. Just waiting for the phone call.

GeekEV said:
I must admit a little trepidation as this is easily the most expensive thing I've bought outside of my house. But it's also exciting!
:lol: You've got that right.

Except in my case it is the most expesive - more than the house and 10 acres we bought over 35 years ago.

Bill

One of the reviews stated that orders opting for the standard suspension were being delayed until early January, I believe. Is this true, that all deliveries to date have the advanced suspension? Is it really popular on non-Performance orders ?

tbleakne said:
One of the reviews stated that orders opting for the standard suspension were being delayed until early January, I believe. Is this true, that all deliveries to date have the advanced suspension? Is it really popular on non-Performance orders ?
I don't know if it is still correct, but their design web page states:

All cars delivered before March of 2013 are required to have Active Air Suspension.

Have a test drive booked on January 27. Still only for reservation holders down here...He said they're booked up just with reservation holders, so it'll be awhile before the "prospects" (as he called them) will be able to drive....

tbleakne said:
That is true.

First wave of production was the Signature models
Then the 85 kw with Air suspension
Now the 60 kw with air susp are being produced... Deliveries in a few weeks

Then .. Non air susp models... Then the small 49 kw batteries

Do they have enough reservations to fill out the 2013 model year? I would love to have the 85 kWh battery, but I just do not like the size. I like the size of the Leaf, but would like about 3 to 6 inches wider. To me the S is just too large for me. And I hear the X is almost as large. I just have to wait for the version after the X and I want them to remain in business long enough to develop a smaller five place version.

N952JL said:
..............I want them to remain in business long enough to develop a smaller five place version.
Gee, I hope they remain in business long after they develop a smaller version. ;)

If you do put down a reservation how much test driving do they let you do? The sales people in our store seemed to say you would get a 15-30 minute drive. That's simply not enough time for me to determine if I'd want to buy the car or not.

gsleaf said:
If you do put down a reservation how much test driving do they let you do? The sales people in our store seemed to say you would get a 15-30 minute drive. That's simply not enough time for me to determine if I'd want to buy the car or not.

My test drive at the "Get Amped Tour" in Mawah, NJ in July lasted 8 minutes.
That was plenty of time to convince me there was no other option other than to buy the car.

I was notified yesterday that my Model S is on a car carrier headed for the east coast.
Now I need to send them that check or wire transfer for $90K :)

gsleaf said:

They'll set the car aside for an hour. (assuming you are a reservation holder, doing your first test drive)

gsleaf said:
Well, guess you ought to pass, then.

Mine was about 20 minutes, city and freeway. When I made the rear tires chirp on an entrance ramp with four adults in the car, I knew I'd let my reservation stand. Of course, that was a performance model, but there is not that much difference from the standard 85 kWh, and it was much more than just that tire chirp.

ebill3 said:
]Well, guess you ought to pass, then.

Yup. I'm surprised people are okay with that little drive time before purchasing.

Edit: I asked a few co-workers about this. I guess 30 minutes-hour is totally reasonable.

For owners, how much of a problem is it that the charging port is on the back of the car? It seems like Nissan got it right by putting it up front.

gsleaf said:
Yup. I'm surprised people are okay with that little drive time before purchasing.
For me, I'm sold on the technology of it, the styling, etc. The driving would have to be pretty horrible to turn me off it, but based on all the reviews I've read I'm sure that's not the case.

Back