Official Tesla Model S thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chris1howell said:
8287757021_ed38a586d9_c.jpg

We picked up our Model S reserved in May 2009 just over a week ago. In the first week we put over 1000 miles on the S. It is a truly amazing car. Very different from the LEAF in many ways. In our first long trip we covered 220 miles at highway speed 70 - 75 Mph with 2000' elevation changes (down then back up) and had 30+ left.
WOW! That looks just like I expect my garage to look like in a few months. Red LEAF and green Model S. (not quite clear on Chris's color - blue?).

Also, like that report of 220 miles at speed. Yippee!

Bill

ebill3 said:
chris1howell said:

We picked up our Model S reserved in May 2009 just over a week ago. In the first week we put over 1000 miles on the S. It is a truly amazing car. Very different from the LEAF in many ways. In our first long trip we covered 220 miles at highway speed 70 - 75 Mph with 2000' elevation changes (down then back up) and had 30+ left.
WOW! That looks just like I expect my garage to look like in a few months. Red LEAF and green Model S. (not quite clear on Chris's color - blue?).

Also, like that report of 220 miles at speed. Yippee!

Bill

Its a blue but the green is just as gorgeous. Both look black without direst light.

The Tesla S sounds awesome!

Just curious:
Anything (small or huge) current owners wish could be different about it?
Auto insurance is based on many factors, but wondering what the costs are like for those who have them now...

GoingGreener said:

Just curious:
Auto insurance is based on many factors, but wondering what the costs are like for those who have them now...
I wish Tesla will give us the "passcode" to access and display all the goodies on the OBD and CAN bus. I wish there is a button on either the charge port or key fog to open the charge port door. I wish there is HWS (heated windshield). I wish there is a calculator for me to input the amperage and display the charge time (they have this, but you have to plugin the charge connector, the charge time is then calculated based on what amperage the EVSE is provided); I wish I can see the map when I am out of 3G radar; I wish charging stations can be displayed on the map without having to use goggle search engine; I wish there is time charge feature; I wish the visor is a little bit more intelligent (it's a very silly visor); I wish the two side mirrors can be electrically retract (not that I need this feature at home, but it would be nice when parking in a public place.

I hope Santa would grant all my wishes.

GoingGreener said:

Just curious:

No complaints from me. The software is still missing features like charge andto climate control timerslist but Tesla is pushing out regular updates.

Insurance was just a little more than the leaf but nothing significant.

chris1howell said:
Insurance was just a little more than the leaf but nothing significant.
Interesting.

Without a VIN, I am getting some wild quotes - from six months Progressive at $814 to Allstate at $2,443. Also, many companies do not even have the Model S in their data base, so seem to be winging it.

My insurer, USAA, provided a quote so low, it must be in error. I'll check after Christmas.

Thanks Waidy & chris1howell. Good to hear real owners' perspectives and experiences, esp if they have/had LEAFs also.
Hopefully, with a little more time/Teslas owned, ebill3 can get trustworthy insurance quotes.

chris1howell said:

How wide is that garage ? Looks similar to ours (one of the reasons we won't get S - just too big).

evnow said:
chris1howell said:

How wide is that garage ? Looks similar to ours (one of the reasons we won't get S - just too big).

The S looks beautiful, Chris. Congratulations, you must be stoked.

Plenty of room in that garage, evnow, better than mine with a Prius and LEAF sleeping there.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I like the blue and would choose that color :)

I want to get the the model s without the tech package which is almost $4k and I was wondering if I could still get online connectivity and use Google maps for navigation vs the tech package navigation. Does anyone have any idea about that?

GoingGreener said:

Just curious:

I was surprised how low the insurance was.
It is just a little more than my Volt. About $700/6 months with State Farm.
State Farm had the Model S in their system, including distinctions between each battery size, and signature, and performance levels.
If an insurance company doesn't have it in their system I would definitely get competing bids.

The lack of a charge timer is the biggest missing thing in my opinion. I would be surprised if it were not in the next update.
I like the openness of the styling. But I would like to see a center console insert with better positioned cup holders (further forward than the current ones on the armrest).
I would also like to see the time delay for automatically locking the doors be adjustable.

Oh, I would like to see a smaller vehicle;). But that will be their third gen sedan which will probably replace our Volt.

Overall, amazingly minor issues for a companies first 'ground up' designed car.

EVDrive said:
Thanks for sharing the pics. I like the blue and would choose that color :)

I want to get the the model s without the tech package which is almost $4k and I was wondering if I could still get online connectivity and use Google maps for navigation vs the tech package navigation. Does anyone have any idea about that?

Looks like the answer is 'sort of';)
http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/anyone-receive-car-without-tech-package-yet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

having lived several places, cant say that a standard two car garage is built the same. right now, there is no real option to park two cars where I live although it was possible at the previous house. I have shelving units down both sides and that renders it impossible to park two cars side by side and open the doors.

I am pretty small dude so if its a squeeze for me, not likely that anyone else can do it unless its a child

DaveinOlyWA said:
having lived several places, cant say that a standard two car garage is built the same. right now, there is no real option to park two cars where I live although it was possible at the previous house. I have shelving units down both sides and that renders it impossible to park two cars side by side and open the doors.

I am pretty small dude so if its a squeeze for me, not likely that anyone else can do it unless its a child

I have shelving on 1 side as well, it's bulk shelving, comes out 3 feet.
When my model S arrives, if I need the space, the shelving can go, good excuse to clean up :)

Here is a picture of Cinergi's (from the TMC forum) Red Signature Model S in my garage last Sunday, it was a little tight, but I think it will be fine... This was during the 75A OpenEVSE testing.

BTW, my garage is 24' wide, but there is a 1994 Suburban next to it, you can't see, it's only used for snow plowing the driveway at this point.

DE43BD8C-ACAF-4382-915D-A0ED05164DDF-16579-00000607806B6D3E.jpg

Costco shelving? i have what you got. 4 units on one side, 3 on the other.

also have some plastic things from somewhere...walmart, target or the like. only good for lightweight food. tried filling a shelf with canned goods and the shelf developed a sag after one Summer so weight has to be distributed. But the metal ones? i can put anything on them.

Install some recycled kitchen cabinets (new if your wife wont let you) up on the walls, looks neat and does not take up any floor space. Free if you scrounge

Herm said:
Install some recycled kitchen cabinets (new if your wife wont let you) up on the walls, looks neat and does not take up any floor space. Free if you scrounge

did that at previous home. but dont have room here. besides, hanging stuff on wall does not change how much space you have to park cars

ebill3 said:
My insurer, USAA, provided a quote so low, it must be in error. I'll check after Christmas.

They did that with the $50k Rav4 EV, too. They had problems with the VIN, of course, since it wasn't yet in their database.

It was about $350 for 6 months.

Back