Official Cadillac ELR thread - a luxury version of the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure there are, but not at $77K!

I believe you'll see it die a quiet death unless GM is predisposed to very low sales numbers and is willing to keep it alive at such low numbers... And when the last of the 3,300 or so Green stickers are gone in California (the legislature and governor at this point are disinclined to allow more because of car pool congestion issues with the Feds), it'll be even a harder sell...

scottf200 said:
A Volt owner who now owns a ELR has had a lot of positive things to say about the ELR (aside from price). Blastphemy - http://gm-volt.com/forum/search.php?searchid=15616865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GM may decide, like Ford, that it's ultimately cheaper to support a low-volume EV (or semi-EV in this case) and LOOK like they are responsive to the enviro market, than it is to actually try to build and sell a large volume of EVs.

From a slickdeals thread, I found out about some ELR test drive events in California.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/04/cadillac-elr-test-drive-events-touring-the-west-coast/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2-year supply on dealer lots ... have yet to see one other than at the Chicago Auto Show, unlike Tesla S sedan's which seem to outnumber LEAF's in the 'burbs

"The incentives could be due to 1,700 ELR coupes that remained unsold in dealer inventories at the end of April. At current sales rates, that's a 725-day supply, which is almost exactly two years' worth of cars."

cadillac-elr-electric-plug-in-hybrid-chevrolet-volt-luxury-premium-coupe-new-tesla.jpg

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20140514/carnews/140519909#ixzz31uY9p7Ff

If it had the next gen power train it MIGHT stand an outside chance. As it is, it is completely DOA! I can't believe that GM actually thought this would sell in numbers more than an asterisk at that price...

mwalsh said:
It's a handsome enough car, but personally I would still buy a Model S, or TWO Volts, with the money.

Meanwhile, look at Mitsubishi and their plug in Outlander. They can't even keep up with demand and are pushing back the US deliveries a year just to try to keep up with Europe. GM could have put the Volt powertrain in a van or SUV and sold a million of them. Instead they put out a car even smaller than the Volt. Since when does GM think the US wants tiny cars?

GM has bigger problems on their hands right now than slow ELR sales.

It's a cool car, but not $80k cool. 50 tops. Sometimes you sell more an item when you put a ridiculously high price on it, GM tried that here, but it doesn't work with EVs, buyers are too analytical.

pkulak said:
Meanwhile, look at Mitsubishi and their plug in Outlander. They can't even keep up with demand and are pushing back the US deliveries a year just to try to keep up with Europe. GM could have put the Volt powertrain in a van or SUV and sold a million of them. Instead they put out a car even smaller than the Volt. Since when does GM think the US wants tiny cars?
GM's R&D head says Voltec powertrain not suitable for vehicles bigger, smaller than Volt:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/04/22/gms-randd-head-says-voltec-powertrain-not-suitable-for-vehicles-b/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cwerdna said:
pkulak said:
GM's R&D head says Voltec powertrain not suitable for vehicles bigger, smaller than Volt:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/04/22/gms-randd-head-says-voltec-powertrain-not-suitable-for-vehicles-b/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He should really tell Mitsubishi. Haha

pkulak said:
cwerdna said:
pkulak said:

He should really tell Mitsubishi. Haha
That does date from April 2010. The question is did he believe it, or was he just trying to dampen speculation on additional models.

epic said:
77k for that car is a laughing matter.With bad decisions like this ,gm will probably go bust again.
I agree. Why would anyone who is going to spend that much on a car not just get a Model S?

(If I was going to spend that much on a car, I would have gotten the Model S. But I'm too stingy for that, which is why I have a Leaf)

jlv said:
I agree. Why would anyone who is going to spend that much on a car not just get a Model S?

(If I was going to spend that much on a car, I would have gotten the Model S. But I'm too stingy for that, which is why I have a Leaf)
There's a guy with a Volt who boasts about never using a drop of gas. Turns out he never goes more than 100 miles.
I'd love to have a model S instead of the Leaf, but as a practical matter we and many other people make trips in the Volt the model S could not handle, so it couldn't be my only car. Maybe they hope the ELR will appeal to a subset of those buyers.

Sad to see so much GM bashing when arguably they have done far more to further electrification than almost any other manufacturer.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Sad to see so much GM bashing when arguably they have done far more to further electrification than almost any other manufacturer.
:lol:
I don't know what planet you live on, but here on earth, GM buried the NiMH patent, crushed EV's, and still doesn't offer an EV(hybrids don't count). Yeah, they are really furthering progress.

Back