Official Cadillac ELR thread - a luxury version of the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
Look at my signature and tag in this message and do the math... I'll be happy to help if the numbers are too big for you... :)

qwk said:
Whatever. I have used zero gas for the past 16 months. That must not count in your book, since I'm not driving a government motors automobile?
Show me where I said that you burned gasoline? I was just responding to your comment, and unless one lives in California or Oregon, their GM fall-apart is going to burn gasoline. Sad but true.

I really doubt the Leaf has a smaller carbon/petroleum footprint than the Volt when you factor in the impact of producing the Leaf's larger battery pack and then having to replace it every 3-4 years.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I really doubt the Leaf has a smaller carbon/petroleum footprint than the Volt when you factor in the impact of producing the Leaf's larger battery pack and then having to replace it every 3-4 years.
This is just drivel. One has the ability to burn gasoline, the other doesn't.

TomT said:
I suspect that there are a lot of 50 state Volt owners who would take exception with that comment...

qwk said:
unless one lives in California or Oregon, their GM fall-apart is going to burn gasoline. Sad but true.
That's because they are in fantasy land. There is no denying that the Volt/ELR are hybrids. You can contain gasoline use, but cannot completely stop it. That is a fact.

What I find funny is that the EV1 had better range 20 years ago than their hybrid car does presently. That folks, is sad. Face it, GM is toast once the likes of Google, Samsung etc. enter the automobile market. This is already in the works. Don't kill the messenger....

Unless Samsung can do better with cars than they have with major appliances they won't be much of a factor. Very disappointed in those choices.

I don't see Google being a significant competitor in cars... Maybe in some of the on-board technologies, but not in the cars themselves (the tiny 25 mph autonomous car they are currently showing is a joke as an actual vehicle; it's more like a golf cart)...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Unless Samsung can do better with cars than they have with major appliances they won't be much of a factor. Very disappointed in those choices.

qwk said:
Face it, GM is toast once the likes of Google, Samsung etc. enter the automobile market. This is already in the works. Don't kill the messenger....
Re: Samsung, see below:
http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2002-10-06/renault-samsung-a-french-recipe-to-savor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.renaultsamsungm.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.renault.com/en/groupe/marques-du-groupe/pages/renault-samsung-motors.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPteNxadh7I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I first learned of it via http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/151042-samsung-maxima.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Back then, the latest gen of the Maxima was the 5th gen (I had an 02) and the current Samsung SM5 was the 4th gen Maxima w/Samsung badging built at the plant mentioned at the 1st URL.

I bet the below is really going to make the ELR fly off dealers lots now... :lol:
Buy A Cadillac ELR, Get A Free ChargePoint Card – Charging Fees Still Apply:
http://insideevs.com/buy-cadillac-elr-get-free-chargepoint-card-charging-fees-still-apply/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw what was a new to me ELR commercial on Hulu yesterday that was more about how nice it is inside instead of that dbag one they showed on cable about buying one because you are rich. I see no way to sell these things unless they chop $30k off the price. If I had the money to buy one of these or a Tesla I wouldn't even consider the ELR. Just because it is in the same price ballpark doesn't make it in the same ballpark vehicle wise.

qwk said:
TomT said:
I suspect that there are a lot of 50 state Volt owners who would take exception with that comment...

qwk said:
unless one lives in California or Oregon, their GM fall-apart is going to burn gasoline. Sad but true.
That's because they are in fantasy land. There is no denying that the Volt/ELR are hybrids. You can contain gasoline use, but cannot completely stop it. That is a fact.

What I find funny is that the EV1 had better range 20 years ago than their hybrid car does presently. That folks, is sad. Face it, GM is toast once the likes of Google, Samsung etc. enter the automobile market. This is already in the works. Don't kill the messenger....
I suspect TomT was referring to your classification of the Volt as a "GM fall-apart", given that it was at the top of the Consumer Reports owner satisfaction records for two years running, only being pushed out of the top spot by the Tesla S. To be sure, some of the initial rating is undoubtedly due to the halo effect, but that isn't sustained over years.

Tom is well aware that the Volt can burn gasoline. As to its range being less than the EV1, that car only had two seats, a shape determined almost solely by CD, Lead-acid batteries (in the first gen) that had to be replaced every couple of years, and would never meet modern crash standards. Horses for courses.

TomT said:
Regardless of what one might think of GM, the economic impact of their failure is something that would ripple through this country for many, many years!
So, let's hope not!

MikeinDenver said:
Let us hope so.
Yes I expect the drag on the economy created by the wasteful actions of GM (and UAW) would finally allow the economy in that sector to improve ;)
The beauty of capitalism is the ability to reallocate resources. So far this action was mostly stopped with the bailout. Just limited improvement in BK court.

Yep, but I've grown bored refuting him and had decided to just let it pass... Likewise for the ill-conceived comments on how great a GM failure would be for the economy and country...

GRA said:
I suspect TomT was referring to your classification of the Volt as a "GM fall-apart", given that it was at the top of the Consumer Reports owner satisfaction records for two years running, only being pushed out of the top spot by the Tesla S.

TomT said:
GRA said:
I suspect TomT was referring to your classification of the Volt as a "GM fall-apart", given that it was at the top of the Consumer Reports owner satisfaction records for two years running, only being pushed out of the top spot by the Tesla S.
Yep, but I've grown bored refuting him and had decided to just let it pass...
Not to worry:

"Chevy Volt Tops J.D. Power Three-Year Dependability Study"

http://insideevs.com/chevy-volt-tops-j-d-power-three-year-dependability-study/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's only fair to note that the 2012 and 2013 CR reliability for the Volt shows a drop off to 'average' compared to the 2011s.

Lots of non-ELR stuff posted on this thread so let's bring it back a bit ... local Chicago area Caddy dealer posted a $12K discount off a '14 ELR with the Luxury Package ($77,690 MSRP) so nets out at $65,690. The discount is referred to as 'ELR IVC' whatever that is. Still have yet to see one on the road, I do wonder how much they actually cost GM to make as the selling price just seems to be a big stumbling block ... perhaps at what price point? We'll see how this goes at month end when the sales numbers come out. In person (at the Chicago Auto Shows) it's a nice looking but very compact car, almost 'personal luxury' in size ... high tech CTS coupe. Still wish GM well as to even offering it but not many takers ...

I so wish they had made a voltec small-ish CUV instead but who knows, there was some mention of the technology not working for other vehicle sizes. Maybe this is what they could get out the fastest.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I so wish they had made a voltec small-ish CUV instead but who knows, there was some mention of the technology not working for other vehicle sizes. Maybe this is what they could get out the fastest.
They were talking about an ELR-type vehicle using Voltec before the Volt launched, so it's not as if this was a spur of the moment decision. Offhand, I can't think of anyone who was saying that while the Volt was nice, what they really wanted was a more luxo Voltec 2+2 coupe. Lots of people (including me) have said we'd really like to see a small AWD Voltec CUV, Captiva size for preference.

I thought I would update this thread just a bit. I will be signing a new ELR lease tomorrow as my LEAF lease will be ending soon. I test drove it a few days ago when I heard about the additional incentives that are bringing prices down. It is a beautiful car and drives wonderfully. He interior luxury touches are really second to none.

My final lease terms will end up being $555/month with $0 down. Since I already have an EVSE I won't need their charger so the $2000 install credit will either be credited to my lease account or given to me in check form a few weeks from now.

For those looking for a new car, especially a PHEV, I would highly recommend adding it to the list of possibilities.

I finally saw one and got to sit inside one at https://www.fremont.gov/2089/Experience-Electric-Campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; over the weekend. Unfortunately, it wasn't available for test drive. :roll:

Interior bits were nice but man... that back seat is tiny. I'm not a big guy and am just under 5'8" and wow, there's basically no headroom in the rear. No wonder it's EPA classified as a sub-compact.

cwerdna said:
I finally saw one and got to sit inside one at https://www.fremont.gov/2089/Experience-Electric-Campaign" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; over the weekend. Unfortunately, it wasn't available for test drive. :roll:

Interior bits were nice but man... that back seat is tiny. I'm not a big guy and am just under 5'8" and wow, there's basically no headroom in the rear. No wonder it's EPA classified as a sub-compact.
just like many cars, the ELR is essentially a 2 seater, the rear seats are nothing more than package shelves, if you need more seating a 2 door coupe with limited rear seating isn't the car for you

Back