Official Cadillac ELR thread - a luxury version of the Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HeyHey said:
I thought I would update this thread just a bit. I will be signing a new ELR lease tomorrow as my LEAF lease will be ending soon. I test drove it a few days ago when I heard about the additional incentives that are bringing prices down. It is a beautiful car and drives wonderfully. He interior luxury touches are really second to none.

My final lease terms will end up being $555/month with $0 down. Since I already have an EVSE I won't need their charger so the $2000 install credit will either be credited to my lease account or given to me in check form a few weeks from now.

For those looking for a new car, especially a PHEV, I would highly recommend adding it to the list of possibilities.

BUT -- it's great that at least some are taking the plunge; Cadillac/GM still is pushing the incentives and perhaps regretting the high initial price they set on this to begin with; would love to see exactly how many early adopters actually bought an ELR when they first arrived in showrooms at full MSRP and can now see how quickly the mfg. offered these rather costly incentives to move more cars -- of course with only 41 sold in January perhaps not very many at all. The car does remind me on when 2-door coupes from GM were 'personal luxury cars' which was a niche market even back then (Olds Toronado, Buick Riviera and Caddy Eldorado come to mind)

If you know of someone who has one in the Chicago land area, let me know as I would like to have a Cadillac ELR in an Environmental show here in Wilmette, IL in March of 2015. Maybe they would be willing to show their car. http://www.gogreenwilmette.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will take you to the event.

redLEAF said:
BUT -- it's great that at least some are taking the plunge; Cadillac/GM still is pushing the incentives and perhaps regretting the high initial price they set on this to begin with; would love to see exactly how many early adopters actually bought an ELR when they first arrived in showrooms at full MSRP and can now see how quickly the mfg. offered these rather costly incentives to move more cars -- of course with only 41 sold in January perhaps not very many at all. The car does remind me on when 2-door coupes from GM were 'personal luxury cars' which was a niche market even back then (Olds Toronado, Buick Riviera and Caddy Eldorado come to mind)
you only have to look as far as the LEAF, nissan cut prices on the 2013 cars to spur sales, the early adapters got hosed good on that one

greengate said:
If you know of someone who has one in the Chicago land area, let me know as I would like to have a Cadillac ELR in an Environmental show here in Wilmette, IL in March of 2015. Maybe they would be willing to show their car. http://www.gogreenwilmette.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will take you to the event.

Actually saw my first ELR 'in the wild' a few weeks ago around the NW 'burbs of Chicago ... they're still a rare site around here ... now a Tesla S; we have at least 3 I know of in my neighborhood (primarily owned by kids gone, mortgage paid, etc. folks as well as a few entrepreneur business owners nearby); the lady I saw driving the ELR was kind of oblivious to the whole PHEV thing, she said her husband 'takes care of that' and she just drives it, at least it wasn't just a dealer demo and someone bought & paid for it.

I know it's quite early to be looking now, but past experience in putting together a show of "environmentally friendly" cars, dealers are slow to respond event though it is an excellent opportunity for them to market their cars.

I'll check out Steve Foley Cadillac in Northbrook pretty soon to inquire about their interest as they seem to be the closest to the event.

epic said:
is there going to be an updated elr.like the volt?wonder if gm ever sold the initial production of the elr yet :))

Last I heard there were about 500 left.
I have been seeing people report that they have bought them recently for $48k after dealer/manufacturer incentives.
Much more reasonable price for them IMO.

Word last fall was that GM was taking a year off (no 2015 model) and was planning a new model the next year.

Cadillac will be showing the CT6 this month. It's supposed to be a big sedan with a couple of powerful engines, reports say as high as 400 HP. The CT6 is also supposed to have a plug-in model, which I assume will have performance similar to the ICE powered versions. There is speculation that a future ELR will use the drive train from the plug-in CT6.

"Reddy" Our local paper was advertising one for $50K, almost $30K off...
Gen 1 ELR post-mortem report below:

Cadillac exec laments ELR pricing

Ellinghaus: 'We've had a great learning exercise with this car'

NEW YORK (Bloomberg Business) -- The first electric Cadillac in the brand’s long history, the ELR Coupe, is a wonderpod of clean energy and baronial features -- and yet it's selling like a rusty old Chevette.

Only 1,835 Cadillac ELR Coupes have sold in North America over the past 18 months. Dealerships in the New York City area are hawking the ELR for just under $50,000, a whopping 35 percent discount from its sticker price, according to TrueCar, an web platform that lets shoppers lock in a price before visiting a dealer.

"One thing is fair to say: We've had a great learning exercise with this car," said Cadillac marketing chief Uwe Ellinghaus.

Many electric cars are selling below their sticker prices at the moment as low gas prices lure drivers to bigger, less fuel-efficient vehicles. The drop off on the ELR compared to its peers is exceptionally drastic...

Cadillac, it seems, has learned its lesson. The 2016 ELR will start at a much more humble $66,000 (before federal incentives) while getting a stiffer suspension and performance boosts that should leave the Volt in the dust. With some software programming and other tweaks, horsepower will jump from 217 to 233 while peak torque cranks from 295 pound-feet to 373.

In the meantime, however, there are some screaming deals to be had on outgoing ELRs.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150513/OEM05/150519944/cadillac-exec-laments-elr-pricing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since it will still be using the Gen 1 Volt basics - not Gen 2 - and is still priced too high, I don't expect to see a great improvement in sales...

edatoakrun said:
Cadillac, it seems, has learned its lesson. The 2016 ELR will start at a much more humble $66,000 (before federal incentives) while getting a stiffer suspension and performance boosts that should leave the Volt in the dust.

TomT said:
Since it will still be using the Gen 1 Volt basics - not Gen 2 - and is still priced too high, I don't expect to see a great improvement in sales...

edatoakrun said:
Cadillac, it seems, has learned its lesson. The 2016 ELR will start at a much more humble $66,000 (before federal incentives) while getting a stiffer suspension and performance boosts that should leave the Volt in the dust.

If this will impact anything it will mean that GM doesn't have to offer as big a discount to move them at the end of the year.

It's a GREAT car!!! But it is not what people who have $66k to spend on a car want. I think those people either want super luxury and size, super luxury and sport or super luxury and pure EV long range driving & green cred. It only delivers on super luxury, although it does a damn good job on that it's about the only thing it has going for it.

I'm looking forward to used values being rock bottom in 5 years.

LeftieBiker said:
Maybe instead of leasing a Smart ED next, I'll just buy a used ELR. ;-)

In 3 years a used ELR might be cheaper than a new smart ED LOL. If you've got 1 or 2 people going to work everyday and less than 35 miles there really isn't a nicer way to get to drive EV, it gives a distinctly different type of luxury than the Tesla and depending on your taste I can see how some might find it nicer. It really gave the wrap around fit like an athletic glove feeling.

TomT said:

edatoakrun said:

Don't be so sure about that ... at least from the Caddy site on the '16 ELR they say ...

'Introducing the 2016 Cadillac ELR

Now standard with improved performance, enhanced dynamics and even more luxury content. With a higher output electric drive motor, the 2016 ELR has even more power and punch that’s complemented by a solidly planted, athletic and agile chassis. If you want an even more dynamic drive, the optional Sport Package brings it all to the next level. In combination with these enhancements, the 2016 ELR delivers more standard content, including safety and security features, wireless device charging and OnStar 4G LTE. Feel free to start planning your next road trip now.

Available early fall 2015.
'

... still a nice looking PHEV with a bit of style

2016-elr-gallery-drivers-grey-lifestyle-v2-1280x400.jpg

http://www.cadillac.com/future-vehicles/2016-elr-coupe.html?eVar36=MRM_eml_ca_hr_0515_14393438830

No, it is a PHEV... And there seems to be a lot of very contradictory information on whether or not the 2016 ELR uses the entire 2016 Gen 2 Volt driveline... Regardless, I prefer go to show for that kind of money...

redLEAF said:
... still a nice looking EV with a bit of style

TomT said:
redLEAF said:
No, it is a PHEV... And they seems to be a lot of very contradictory information on whether or not the 2016 ELR uses the entire 2016 Gen 2 Volt driveline... And I prefer go to show for that kind of money...
I'm with you. It's performance does seem to be improved, but still falls short of comparably-priced cars (or even those costing thousands less). $50-$55k MSRP still seems more in line to me. Now, they'll only have to discount it by $11-$16k instead of $21-$26k to get it there :lol:

The ELR's performance is improved when in gasoline range-extending mode. I don't believe any claims of improved performance in EV mode have been made by GM. This looks to me like a smoke and mirrors software tweak to get the 0-60 out of the "embarrassing" column in the car magazines.

Everything under the hood has been confirmed to be modified Gen 1 running gear, including the old battery pack. EV range and gasoline fuel economy actually go down a bit from the 2014 ELR, when equipped with the sport package.

GRA said:
TomT said:
redLEAF said:
No, it is a PHEV... And they seems to be a lot of very contradictory information on whether or not the 2016 ELR uses the entire 2016 Gen 2 Volt driveline... And I prefer go to show for that kind of money...
I'm with you. It's performance does seem to be improved, but still falls short of comparably-priced cars (or even those costing thousands less). $50-$55k MSRP still seems more in line to me. Now, they'll only have to discount it by $11-$16k instead of $21-$26k to get it there :lol:

OK -- you're both right PHEV; although if it DID get a true 50 miles using just electricity it would come close for many more people but just like all cars using any gas its in a different class --- lastly, at least here in IL when they were offering EV rebates the state considered it worthy (like its middle-class cousin the Volt) to get the same rebate as pure EV's as the gas powers a generator versus say, the C-Max which uses a standard (although modified) ICE. If what's written is simply hype that will be a harder sell when both it and the '16 Volt come to market

Back