Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Publius said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Interestingly, just down the Thruway in the 5th largest city (Syracuse), we have a decent L2 infrastructure - at the mall, at another major shopping center, and downtown (walking distance to the restaurant/bar district). Trouble is, they cost $2.40/hr so almost nobody is using them.

However, as stated elsewhere, these QC stations make far more sense between cities. They should be halfway between Buffalo/Rochester, and Rochester/Syracuse. Then L2 should be deployed within the cities.

I would personally love to see a QC in Auburn, NY and Cortland, NY. These would greatly extend my range. The trouble is, they are small towns in mostly rural counties. Nissan is not likely to deploy anything there because not many live there. But thousands could be passing through, and that's what QC is for.

I'm still eagerly awaiting that list. March 31st? It can't come soon enough!

Sad as it is, I would love to have the option to pay $2.40/hr to get home if I need a few extra miles. Here in Rochester I've only found two public charge stations that aren't located at dealerships. One of the stations is at a local business, and the other was donated to the town community center by the same guy who provided the other one. Both are free, which is awesome, but they're close together, so unless you live in that town or go to a dealer, you're basically SOL. I'm waiting for the list from Nissan, and I'm also waiting on the details of the 300+ Level 2 stations being installed in NY this year. If I remember correctly Rochester is supposed to get 24 of those. What about Syracuse?

As far as I know, no more are planned for Syracuse. I've contacted NYSERDA, who is administering the plan, and they told me precious little other than it will only by L2 in 2013. They did mention that park-and-rides near interstates are prime candidates, which would be good for carpoolers, but wouldn't help me very much. Also, the majority of the stations are destined for NYC and surrounding counties. Not so much for upstate. If Rochester gets a few of them, that would be great! It would allow me to visit without resorting to Just-Take-The-Prius...er, Insight. I guess it's more wait-and-see.

I personally would love to see L2 at Waterloo Outlets and Fingerlakes Mall. They would serve customers visiting from either Syracuse or Rochester. If you visit either of these places, I highly encourage you to contact them through their website and ask about L2 EVSEs. Maybe with enough interest they will go it on their own?

cwerdna said:
tps said:
OrientExpress said:
half of the potential market for EVs and the next wave of EV adoption will come from people that live in multi-family dwellings and have no ability to have a private charger, or on premiss charging. Right now, they are locked out of the EV market.

eVgo's initial business model is to have L2/L3 chargers every 5~10 miles in the top urban areas, so for someone that lives in an apartment or condo they can reliability find a charge station as part of their normal commute.
IMHO, QC as an alternative to overnight charging is a temporary aberation, albeit possibly necessary, to the EV paradigm, which is that the EV should have the ability to charge whenever parked. Eventually, even those in multi-family dwellings will have the ability to charge overnight. But having the ability to QC whenever necessary is also part of the long term EV paradigm, however we need a flexible pricing model which includes both subscription and pay-per-use plans, so the user can pick the pricing model which works best for them....
Regarding the italicized part, what makes you so certain about that? When I lived in WA state, I lived in apartments the whole time, for over 9 years in total. Why would a landlord want to spend the $ to install charging stations? What's in it for them? Who would pay to fix broken and vandalized stations, esp. those damaged by copper thieves?

One possibility would be to have inductive power built-into the pavement of the parking spots. Most complexes do provide parking spots. One might wonder why they provide paved parking spots -- what's in it for them?

DaveinOlyWA said:
but if moving and you have an EV, how much would you pay for the privilege? It would obviously vary quite a bit and separate metering would be ideal but at a higher expense to the landlord so probably unlikely but around here, $40 might ber reasonable. I have gotten up to $36 a month on heavy driving months (average about $25-29) on Green Power (1.25 cents higher but all renewable energy)

As someone who's charging at an apartment with attached garage, I'm paying nearly $300 more per moth for the privilege compared to other places in the area. Granted, it is in the nicer area of town, quieter, and close to work- all things that matter and factor in to the price. Ultimately it is "worth it" to me right now... I'd jump on a subscription plan or a place that has carports with EVSE's in them. I've got workplace charging during the week, it's weekends that I'd just need a qc boost.

For the first month that I was up here in Folsom, I relied exclusively on workplace and public L2 charging. I was in temporary housing which had no charging available (car port was too far from the apartment). It can be done, but weekends are painful.

JeremyW said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
but if moving and you have an EV, how much would you pay for the privilege? It would obviously vary quite a bit and separate metering would be ideal but at a higher expense to the landlord so probably unlikely but around here, $40 might ber reasonable. I have gotten up to $36 a month on heavy driving months (average about $25-29) on Green Power (1.25 cents higher but all renewable energy)

As someone who's charging at an apartment with attached garage, I'm paying nearly $300 more per moth for the privilege compared to other places in the area. Granted, it is in the nicer area of town, quieter, and close to work- all things that matter and factor in to the price. Ultimately it is "worth it" to me right now... I'd jump on a subscription plan or a place that has carports with EVSE's in them. I've got workplace charging during the week, it's weekends that I'd just need a qc boost.

For the first month that I was up here in Folsom, I relied exclusively on workplace and public L2 charging. I was in temporary housing which had no charging available (car port was too far from the apartment). It can be done, but weekends are painful.

Sounds expensive but its all relative. I paid $80 a month for the garage space (no power, no garage door opener) but they had 4 and two were available. the powered ones with opener were $150 and there were like 10 and they had a long waiting list.

the gym access (more of a workout room than gym) was only $10 a month. storage rooms, $55 each and so on. so what seemed like a good deal where rent includes all utilities can really escalate if you opted for all the options.

GetOffYourGas said:
Publius said:
GetOffYourGas said:
I personally would love to see L2 at Waterloo Outlets and Fingerlakes Mall. They would serve customers visiting from either Syracuse or Rochester. If you visit either of these places, I highly encourage you to contact them through their website and ask about L2 EVSEs. Maybe with enough interest they will go it on their own?

As a recent expat from Rochester I would think the thruway rest stops would be a natural for the L3 stations. Waterloo Outlets is a great location for charging. If it was L3 I could see people diverting to them just for extending range and doing some shopping they might not have done otherwise.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Re: cost to the user, it needs to be comparable to fueling an average ICEV. Better yet, it should be comparable to fueling an efficient ICEV (e.g. Prius). Otherwise, people aren't going to bother unless there's a sudden gas price shock, severe supply disruption or shortage, esp. a prolonged or permanent one.

Wow, we have gone over this point so many times. Public charging should be MUCH more expensive than home charging. At home, you control 100% of the cost, maintenance, etc. what is your TCO so far? if you got a free charger and Solar, then ok, you are golden but that means you have means. Its no different than parking your RV in the backyard on a 5 acre farm verses my Nephew living in downtown Seattle and paying $275 a month to park his car. If you dont have the means, then you pay.
My reply was intended to be specifically about the cost of charging to residents at an apartment complex.

Yes, I'm well aware of (sometimes very high) parking costs at apartments and condos, esp. in cities/parts of cities of little parking to begin with. I've lived a complexes that haven't had tight parking, but did charge for reserved covered spots. They also usually had free uncovered (non-reserved and unassigned) open parking.
So, why would a landlord want to spend the $ to install TV cables in every unit or build kiddie parks? What's in it for them? You know perfectly well what is in it for them -- a higher rental price. As for vandalism, I'll bet a "Danger: High Voltage" sign would be quite effective. As would a gated community. Let's face it, it's going to be a decade or more before EVs become common in lower end multifamily units.
DaveinOlyWA said:
...but if moving and you have an EV, how much would you pay for the privilege?
This goes back to the unsuitability of EVs for many folks who live in apartments, certain types of condos or those who may have to move to one of these. Unfortunately, this will limit their audience for many years.
Nubo said:
One possibility would be to have inductive power built-into the pavement of the parking spots. Most complexes do provide parking spots. One might wonder why they provide paved parking spots -- what's in it for them?
It is the norm to have a paved parking lot at apartment complexes vs. just dirt. In many cities, apartment dwellers have cars, so they need to be parked.

But, in certain cities/regions of cities, parking is scarce and those complexes charge for parking spaces or allocate a limited # per unit. Whether they can charge and how much is dictated by local market conditions/competitors.

There is a lot of ways to look at any situation including the emergence of EVs and how best to support them. In the near term, the high cost of batteries and limited range makes charging stations essential. Right now, apt dwellers are in the unique position to help shape policy on this but as always, they need synergy from a unified voice.
We can help form that voice. The drawbacks from initial TCO and maintenance needs to take a back seat on favor of the overall long term good EVs have. Thus its not an ready thing to quantify obviously especially when "expected" ecological advances are so to materialize. Just saying no ready or cheap answers here

jrreno said:
GetOffYourGas said:

As a recent expat from Rochester I would think the thruway rest stops would be a natural for the L3 stations. Waterloo Outlets is a great location for charging. If it was L3 I could see people diverting to them just for extending range and doing some shopping they might not have done otherwise.

I agree 100% about the thruway rest stops. Unfortunately, NYS in all its wisdom signed an exclusive contract with only two companies to provide fuel at thruway rest stops. Electricity for EVs is considered fuel, so you'd have to get one or both of those companies to agree to install and run them. And if you haven't guessed it already, both are oil companies. Talk about an uphill battle!

As for Waterloo, I was thinking L2 might be more appropriate. A shopping center like that is going to want people to be "captive" for more than 30 minutes. At the same time, L2 would enable people to visit from Rochester or Syracuse in today's EVs as conveniently as in an ICE. Similarly with Fingerlakes Mall (home to NYS' only Bass Pro Shop - the only reason I know it exists! :D ).

Its not just New York. WA is the sameway. Can't sell anything at rest stops so the one EVSE af the canadian and OR borders are donated and free until the laws can be changed if they can be changed

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2012/11/charging-for-charging-cheaper-than-free.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GetOffYourGas said:
As for Waterloo, I was thinking L2 might be more appropriate. A shopping center like that is going to want people to be "captive" for more than 30 minutes.
I would strongly concur with that. There will always be far more L2's than QC's. Common courtesy to other EV drivers dictates that we should never hog a QC. Plug in, get what you need, and get out of the way. Sure, you can run into an adjacent convenience store or fast food place and grab something, but you should NEVER, EVER, start roaming through a shopping center, big box, or even large retail store, with your car plugged in to a QC. And no, I don't believe that automatic switching two-headed chargers are enough to override that rule. What happens when the third EV shows up?

Ray

GetOffYourGas said:
I agree 100% about the thruway rest stops. Unfortunately, NYS in all its wisdom signed an exclusive contract with only two companies to provide fuel at thruway rest stops. Electricity for EVs is considered fuel, so you'd have to get one or both of those companies to agree to install and run them. And if you haven't guessed it already, both are oil companies. Talk about an uphill battle!

Frustrating.

GetOffYourGas said:
As for Waterloo, I was thinking L2 might be more appropriate. A shopping center like that is going to want people to be "captive" for more than 30 minutes. At the same time, L2 would enable people to visit from Rochester or Syracuse in today's EVs as conveniently as in an ICE. Similarly with Fingerlakes Mall (home to NYS' only Bass Pro Shop - the only reason I know it exists! :D ).

I'll add the Waterloo Outlet Mall to my list of companies to contact.

Since most of the QC's in TN are at Cracker Barrel, I do go inside and grab something to eat about half the time, but I always leave my cell number on my dash with a note to call me if someone needs my spot. The Blink QC's have the 2 cables, but only charges one at a time, so 2 additional cars would have to show up before it would be a problem. I've never charged next to another LEAF yet. So not a problem yet.

Philip

RegGuheert said:
It is unfortunate that Nissan is wasting so much money investing in a quick charging network which will not meet the needs of many LEAF owners. This is an good example of how their experience with the Japanese market is clouding their judgment in the US market. This is also an example where the existing gas-station model makes real sense.

???

I assume you're talking about the evGo model and NOT the Nissan proposal to put Nissan branded QCs at some of their dealerships..
While the evGo monthly model is pointless to me (and probably many Leaf drivers who would only need the QCs occasionally), the Nissan branded chargers at dealerships will be a huge enabler for occasional long trips.

I have to say the Nissan announcement was one of the reasons I opted to get a 2012 car NOW rather than waiting another month or so to get a 2013. While I know based on my EV1 experience I would be willing to take very long trips (LA to Vegas or Northern California) with a 6.6kW charger, simply having a 25-45min QC for moderately longer trips (LA to Santa Barbara, San Diego or Palm Springs) was enough to make me commit to another 39 months with the impossibly slow 3.3kW charger.

GregH said:
RegGuheert said:
It is unfortunate that Nissan is wasting so much money investing in a quick charging network which will not meet the needs of many LEAF owners. This is an good example of how their experience with the Japanese market is clouding their judgment in the US market. This is also an example where the existing gas-station model makes real sense.

???

I assume you're talking about the evGo model and NOT the Nissan proposal to put Nissan branded QCs at some of their dealerships..
While the evGo monthly model is pointless to me (and probably many Leaf drivers who would only need the QCs occasionally), the Nissan branded chargers at dealerships will be a huge enabler for occasional long trips.
Yes, I am referring to the eVgo business model, but note that Nissan is giving 40 quick chargers to eVgo to install.
Nissan announced today that it would provide 40 quick-charging stations to NRG, which will use them to expand its eVgo electric-car charging network into the Washington, D.C., region.

RegGuheert said:
kovalb said:
I also hope they are not part of the eVgo network. I do not like their business model and would not pay what they are asking; no interest in their monthly plans.
+1

Even though it apprears they will be putting quick chargers exactly where we would need them, I cannot get excited about this. The reason is that I will not purchase a monthly subscription to access chargers. Unless eVgo sees their way clear to offering a pay-per-use business model, our LEAF will just have to go without quick charging.

+1

TonyWilliams said:
palmermd said:
TonyWilliams said:
I called the two most Northern California Nissan dealers, and neither are getting these chargers.

when are we going to see a list of where these are going to be installed? They've been talking for 18 months about these cheap chargers and how they are going to install some in dealerships, and we have yet to see 1 installed or even sold by Nissan.

March 31... Except, we could probably make a pretty good list here of the ones we know will take one. Mossy Nissan in San Diego has about a half dozen Nissan stores here, so they will likely have several of the "free" chargers. There's only one other Nissan dealer in the whole county, and they physically LOCK their L2 and have in the past denied charging to folks who didnt buy their LEAF there. So lets surmise that they don't want one.

So, that quick, I covered the southern tip of the state (no way will there be one in Imperial County).

How about your county / region of California?

Confirmed today that Connell is definitely getting one. They've wanted one from the get-go, so it makes perfect sense that they'd jump on one of the Nissan ones.

cdub said:
Are Nissan dealers on the way to San Diego getting them? Irvine? Mission Viejo?

Connell in Costa Mesa is confirmed to be getting one as mentioned earlier. Tustin is rumored to be getting one also.

Back