Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cgaydos said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
KJD said:
Is there such a thing as a reliable CHAdeMO charge station?

Some are. Some aren't. Some never go down, are very well maintained. Some are neglected and go down often. Sounds like ABB's are crap fom the start, like Blinks. Bummer.

The ABBs in the Denver metro at the Nissan dealers have been down a lot. But the ones in covered parking garages in downtown Denver seem to be very reliable. Perhaps exposure to direct sunlight and/or precipitation is a problem?

They really do need to shade those areas. Not just for the charging hardware but for the cars sitting there charging as well. Honestly I have been pretty underwhelmed by the dealers in the Denver area.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
KJD said:
It seems like the [DCFCs] installed in Utah are constantly offline. Most of these chargers were built by ABB and ABB has not been willing to fix these things. This problem has been going on for months now.

Is there such a thing as a reliable CHAdeMO charge station?
Some are. Some aren't. Some never go down, are very well maintained. Some are neglected and go down often. Sounds like ABB's are crap fom the start, like Blinks. Bummer.
My impression of ABB chargers is of quality equipment. I've been inside other ABB products - all have been well made. They are also known world-wide for power switchgear and electrical metering. There's a good chance that the electric utility meter on your house was made by ABB.

Blinks, on the other hand, strike me as a kludge. I have a Blink L2 in my garage. They have a lot of off-the-shelf commodity components. Embedded computer (Linux), power supply, RFID card reader, power meter, touchscreen display, WiFi, and ethernet adaptors. You could go buy most of this with a credit card and a part number.

They may not be down for technical reasons. One ABB 20kW charger I used to use has joined the GreenLots network, and it's not marked as such - it looks like its down.

Hosts have to be willing to maintain this gear - and I've heard lately they're getting fed up with Blink. I think most ABB DCFC have so far been operated independently by the hosts without any attempt to bill for charging. If they fail, the hosts have to get the chargers fixed... and many aren't bothering once they start understanding the operating expenses.

In general though, I agree with KJD - there seems to be more DCFC chargers down than up lately.

Back