Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
Did you talk to the receptionist, a salesperson, or a service writer or mechanic in the service department? I would not expect the first two, especially the receptionist, to know the difference between L2 and QC.

And why do you think it should be acceptable?

Valdemar said:
RonDawg said:
Did you talk to the receptionist, a salesperson, or a service writer or mechanic in the service department? I would not expect the first two, especially the receptionist, to know the difference between L2 and QC.

I don't expect a low-level employee like a receptionist to be knowledgeable about something as advanced as a modern battery electric car. It's no different than expecting the receptionist at my dentist office to know if I will need a root canal or not, or tell me the advantages and disadvantages of amalgam vs. composite fillings.

A salesman SHOULD know, but I'm sure you'll agree with me that the number of Leaf-knowledgeable sales people are far outnumbered by those who aren't.

RonDawg said:
Valdemar said:
RonDawg said:

I don't expect a low-level employee like a receptionist to be knowledgeable about something as advanced as a modern battery electric car. It's no different than expecting the receptionist at my dentist office to know if I will need a root canal or not, or tell me the advantages and disadvantages of amalgam vs. composite fillings.

A salesman SHOULD know, but I'm sure you'll agree with me that the number of Leaf-knowledgeable sales people are far outnumbered by those who aren't.

It is a complicated view for a simple problem. All they need to know there are 2 types of chargers installed on the property, regular/slow and fast, and if they work or not. Is this too much to ask?

Again I do not expect a low level dealer employee to know the difference. But it is reasonable to expect that if they don't know the answer, to either ask someone who does, or to directly refer you to that person.

When I called Mission Hills Nissan to see if their charger is available, the receptionist transferred me to the Service Department.

Valdemar said:
It is a complicated view for a simple problem. All they need to know there are 2 types of chargers installed on the property, regular/slow and fast, and if they work or not. Is this too much to ask?
The unfortunate part is that some PHEV owners along with non-plugin vehicle owners incorrectly refer to charging at 240 volts as "fast charging". :roll:

OT, I haven't really kept up with this thread but I know people talked about the weather exposed 3 fans on the Nissan QCs. I looked at the one at Nissan Sunnyvale a few weeks ago and noticed that along w/2 fans under a hood (presumably not as weatherproof). I put up a few pics at https://picasaweb.google.com/105684180251177299188/NissanCHAdeMOCharger?authkey=Gv1sRgCJis0ZrH8qjH3wE#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

cwerdna said:
Valdemar said:
The unfortunate part is that some PHEV owners along with non-plugin vehicle owners incorrectly refer to charging at 240 volts as "fast charging". :roll:

OT, I haven't really kept up with this thread but I know people talked about the weather exposed 3 fans on the Nissan QCs. I looked at the one at Nissan Sunnyvale a few weeks ago and noticed that along w/2 fans under a hood (presumably not as weatherproof). I put up a few pics at https://picasaweb.google.com/105684180251177299188/NissanCHAdeMOCharger?authkey=Gv1sRgCJis0ZrH8qjH3wE#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

interesting design but seems like all cooling fans are treated equally. the very large ones on tops of buildings are just as exposed and have to say the fact that they are on rooftops makes them mores so. other than the size of the rooftop fans, is there any difference here?

another thing about "weatherization" i have had incidences including a VERY recent one where sticky liquids were spilled on remotes and not cleaned right away (like two days later!) and i remedied the situation by removing the battery and putting remote on top rack in dishwasher.

have done this with TV remote twice now will no ill effects...

RonDawg said:
When I called Mission Hills Nissan to see if their charger is available, the receptionist transferred me to the Service Department.
The last time I rode past their dealership (perhaps 2 months ago), there was no indication of a DCQC - no concrete poured, no charger in the ground, nothing. Just the usual Aerovironment Level 2 units.

I'm planning another ride in that area today, I'll try to remember to check on it again.

Glad to hear that the DCQC at Universal City Nissan is up - hopefully they'll have a more leniant policy toward use than Glendale Nissan (though I haven't yet been told "no" by Glendale).

Edit: I stopped by Mission Hills Nissan on my ride last night and talked to two salespeople. Neither was aware of any plans to install a DCQC (of course, only one of the two even knew what I was talking about... :roll: ). I didn't see any evidence that an installation was in progress (or even planned).

So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a DCQC in the north San Fernando Valley...

ahagge said:
RonDawg said:
The last time I rode past their dealership (perhaps 2 months ago), there was no indication of a DCQC - no concrete poured, no charger in the ground, nothing. Just the usual Aerovironment Level 2 units.

I'm planning another ride in that area today, I'll try to remember to check on it again.

This was for an L2 charge. My car does not have a QC port.

Glad to hear that the DCQC at Universal City Nissan is up - hopefully they'll have a more leniant policy toward use than Glendale Nissan (though I haven't yet been told "no" by Glendale).

Universal City Nissan and Glendale Nissan are owned by the same company (Sage Auto Group) who also own West Covina Nissan.

I stopped by Mission Hills Nissan on my ride last night and talked to two salespeople. Neither was aware of any plans to install a DCQC (of course, only one of the two even knew what I was talking about... :roll: ).

That just reinforces what I said earlier about how you can't expect all Nissan dealer employees to know the difference.

I had more luck today at Universal, but my visit was somewhat eventful. Arrived and parked next to a 2013 Leaf that was plugged in into the fast charger but wasn't actively charging, the display was showing the typical welcome message which was a bit odd as it looked like the fob hasn't been scanned. The owner wasn't around. I went inside and had to argue with an employee for a minute who insisted that the charger won't be available until next week. It only took me about 3 attempts to convince him the charger is already turned on, after which he asked around and someone magically appeared carrying a fob. We went outside, he told me to unplug the other car as it wasn't charging, I did that and connected my car, he scanned the fob my car started charging so far so good. 10 minutes later the owner of the other car emerges and it takes him a couple of moments to realize his car didn't get charged at all so he gets all upset thinking I interrupted his charging, and finally he gets into his car and drives off. Needless to say I was a bit puzzled by all this drama unfolding somewhat unexpectedly. My first theory was that he didn't know someone needed to scan the fob to start charging, that somehow didn't sound very plausible to me so a second theory emerged. I suspect that the guy that magically appeared carrying the fob was supposed to charge his car and not mine. Speaking of bad timing and miscommunication. Oh well, if that is what happened then I feel guilty now. The moral of the story - stay with your car until you see with your eyes it started charging.

z0ner said:
Valdemar said:
...The moral of the story - stay with your car until you see with your eyes it started charging.

I seriously do not understand the mentality of people that don't do this.

I see how it could happen yesterday, the guy seemed to be in a hurry when he left. So I'm guessing he plugged in his car and went inside, talked to someone and they assured him someone will be out to scan the fob and start charging, so he went to proceed with his business inside the dealership. The message was sent that someone needed a charge without a proper context and a couple minutes later the fob person runs into me. The rest you know. The root of all evil here is that the dealer needs to scan the fob.

planet4ever said:
jrreno said:
It defines Level 3 as 480 volt ALTERNATING current , oops!
Oops, yourself. The SAE defines Level 3 as high power AC or DC charging beyond that provided by their combo plug. In other words, neither CHAdeMO nor "Frankenplug" are L3. Since it was the SAE that created the term "Level 3", we should let them define it, and stop misusing it.

http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingspeeds.pdf
The reference was to the legislation, which defines a Level 3 charger as being an off-board charger using 480v three phase power. That's the input not the output. Nothing really to do with the SAE definitions. Seems like it's just the common idea of: Level 1 = 120v charging; Level II = 240v charging; Level III = DC charging.

z0ner said:
Valdemar said:
...The moral of the story - stay with your car until you see with your eyes it started charging.

I seriously do not understand the mentality of people that don't do this.
Actually, when Quick Charging, I think a good rule of thumb is to stay with your car for the entire charge, or at least within sight of it. 20 minutes goes quickly, and even more so if you leave your vehicle and become engaged in almost any other activity. Walking away from your car invites the high risk that you will get distracted and overstay your vehicle's charging period, thus becoming one of those people we all hate: the absent driver whose car is hogging the charging station long after it's finished charging.

Which is why I'm very fond of LADWP's Quick Charging station location on 3rd Street downtown - there are no distracting temptations within easy walking distance: no retail shops, no fast food outlets, not even a publicly accessible restroom. There is literally nothing else to do but wait while your vehicle charges. That represents a great model for future Quick Charging locations.

timhebb said:
Which is why I'm very fond of LADWP's Quick Charging station location on 3rd Street downtown - there are no distracting temptations within easy walking distance: no retail shops, no fast food outlets, not even a publicly accessible restroom. There is literally nothing else to do but wait while your vehicle charges. That represents a great model for future Quick Charging locations.
This is a pretty extreme view. Lack of restrooms at the "Electric Highway" DCQC stations (or most of them, anyway) is quite a handicap on the 180-mile journey I occasionally make in my LEAF, given the duration of the trip. What do you DO in a restroom that takes longer than a 20-to-80% QC?

Levenkay said:
timhebb said:
This is a pretty extreme view. Lack of restrooms at the "Electric Highway" DCQC stations (or most of them, anyway) is quite a handicap on the 180-mile journey I occasionally make in my LEAF, given the duration of the trip. What do you DO in a restroom that takes longer than a 20-to-80% QC?
You are right, of course, when considering intercity trips; my apologies for being short-sighted.

Almost all my driving is within the city, so my view is based on that experience. In general, I still hold to it in that context. I've just seen too many inconsiderate EV drivers take a hike and abandon their vehicles while occupying a Quick Charge space far too long.

Levenkay said:
timhebb said:

have to agree. the presence of amenities like coffee, quick food, or bathrooms is paramount to continued acceptance of the time needed to make the stop.

i also agree that making sure you are back well before the end of your charging session is also just as important. Even if you need to leave a sign on the car stating "grabbing java, back in 5" its also just as important to let others know you have not abandoned the car.

so shopping, sit down dinners, etc. is not in the cards most of the time. quick runs into convenience or drugstores (Thank You Walgreens for stepping up!!) and whatnot are OK

2 more popped up at California State University Northridge:

photo_1568.jpg

I had my Leaf serviced today (Friday, Aug 23) at the Mossy Nissan dealership in San Diego on Claremont Mesa Blvd.

To my surprise my service person pointed out that a DCQC had just been installed. It was located just outside in the parking lot where you pull in to be serviced. I had passed it coming in but had not noticed it. He indicated they had a fob which was need to activate it. He offered/asked if I needed a charge, but I declined as I did not really need one to get home.

Once, a year before, on a Sunday I had gotten an L2 charge at their dealership lot next door where they sell cars by calling ahead. Since the Service Center is not opened on Sundays I asked how would I get a DCQC charge if I came by then. He indicated there was an 800 number that could be called to activate the charging. Also that the Car Sales lot next door (that is open on Sunday) has a fob to activate the charger.

I went out side to take a look. It seemed to have power (the fans were blowing for some reason). But hearing the problems that others have mentioned in this thread, I will have to go back and actually test to see how easy it is to find a person with the fob and test the 800 number as well.

Back