Nissan To Install 500 More Quick Charge Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
ASP said:
I saw online that a Quick Charger at UC Davis opened but now I can't find the article. Does anyone know about this?
Plugshare shows one there, and that people have used it successfully a week ago and two weeks ago.

Ray

Thanks! It wasn't showing up with the Fast Charger filter. I turned it off and zoomed in to near the Mondavi Center on the map and found it now.

DCQC at universities have their set of problems too. CSUN recently got 2 Nissan-branded units which now have EV signage, but also allow up to 4 hours :shock: parking in the QC charging spots. They also require parking permit at all times, and the daily permit, which is the only one you can really buy w/o being a student there, is $6. Blink QC fee suddenly doesn't look too bad compared to this. I charged there today w/o paying for parking (shame on me), but I won't be coming back unless I really have to.

Has anyone heard anything more on this? I'd love to get a DC quick charger (or 2) in Denver - the only one currently (ha, ha!) in the entire state of Colorado is in Fort Collins, which I think is actually a bit of a weird location. Should we contact dealerships in the area to see if they know of any plans or can influence any decisions for potential rollout?

Thanks!

BoulderLeaf said:
Has anyone heard anything more on this? I'd love to get a DC quick charger (or 2) in Denver - the only one currently (ha, ha!) in the entire state of Colorado is in Fort Collins, which I think is actually a bit of a weird location. Should we contact dealerships in the area to see if they know of any plans or can influence any decisions for potential rollout?

Thanks!

Even if a dealership is going to install a DCQC finding a person there who knows about it can be a challenge. Good luck.

smkettner said:
Ok we are about half way through the 18 months.... how many of the 500 are operating?

good question; my guess something less than 100. a better question;

how many have been turned on in the last 30 days? seems like the installs have dried up or its "same old news" and not worth mentioning?

DaveinOlyWA said:
smkettner said:
Ok we are about half way through the 18 months.... how many of the 500 are operating?

good question; my guess something less than 100. a better question;

how many have been turned on in the last 30 days? seems like the installs have dried up or its "same old news" and not worth mentioning?
The interesting thing is that Tesla's Fall 2013 map shows something like 60 new SC locations intended for installation by Dec. 21st. Since there haven't been any new ones listed since they reached 23 (or 25), they're really going to have to move if they hope to meet this schedule.

A little of topic, but has anyone heard of the company GOe3? They are deploying a large network of quick chargers along interstate routes (including 7 chademo chargers in Denver). Here is a map to their final planned rollout:
http://goe3charge.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/goe3-reveals-planned-map-of-ev-highway-routes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BoulderLeaf said:
A little of topic, but has anyone heard of the company GOe3? They are deploying a large network of quick chargers along interstate routes (including 7 chademo chargers in Denver). Here is a map to their final planned rollout:
http://goe3charge.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/goe3-reveals-planned-map-of-ev-highway-routes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

every 75 miles? wow! that is a bit harsh. my degradation insures I would only make that at 55 mph and a 100% charge. oh and that would have to be during Summer or a temperature range between 60 and 70º

as far as the map. i see a small pix of the US but unclear as to where the stations will be. the legend is way too small to read. if its the blue lines then I am out but still glad to see something happening. the spacing needs to be re-evaluated though

Working with its dealers, local authorities, and charging-station partners. Nissan hopes to triple the number of quick-charging stations available in the U.S.
There are now about 160 quick-charge stations, mostly on the West Coast and in Texas; Nissan hopes to add another 500 new stations over the next 18 months.

PlugShare can count up to about 150 chargers on the map.
Select Chedemo and (include) Payment Required filter option.
I counted there are 115 in East of CO & NM, 93 in AZ,CA, HI, 92 in OR,WA, BC. Total 300 Chademo stations in North America as of 9/29/2013.

Only added 300 - 160 = 140 in 9 month in to 18 months goal.
Nissan, local authorities, and charging-station partners have to add 360 more stations in next 9 months to achieve the goal.

ht2 said:
Working with its dealers, local authorities, and charging-station partners. Nissan hopes to triple the number of quick-charging stations available in the U.S.
There are now about 160 quick-charge stations, mostly on the West Coast and in Texas; Nissan hopes to add another 500 new stations over the next 18 months.

PlugShare can count up to about 150 chargers on the map.
Select Chedemo and (include) Payment Required filter option.
I counted there are 115 in East of CO & NM, 93 in AZ,CA, HI, 92 in OR,WA, BC. Total 300 Chademo stations in North America as of 9/29/2013.

Only added 300 - 160 = 140 in 9 month in to 18 months goal.
Nissan, local authorities, and charging-station partners have to add 360 more stations in next 9 months to achieve the goal.

so this is 150 Nissan fast chargers? wow, they have really stepped it up from the last time i checked

DaveinOlyWA said:
so this is 150 Nissan fast chargers? wow, they have really stepped it up from the last time i checked

No, 140 is not only Nissan fast chargers but total of any brand quick chargers.
This is my understanding.
Nissan is carefully using word quick charger not Nissan quick charger.
For example, Blink is Nissan charging station partner so Blink Quick charger also count.
I don't think there were 160 Nissan chargers beginning of 2013.

Bottom line is even count every quick chargers still short.

Link from original post.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1082031_nissan-to-triple-quick-charging-stations-for-electric-cars-over-18-months" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A few random comments after reading the last few pages on this topic:

• I've used Premiere Nissan Fremont's DCQC, and although I agree that it is a good distance from the "keepers of the key", in general I have not had any problems. To avoid having to go in and look for someone, I usually call as I approach and ask if someone could come out with the fob. I wasn't thrilled with their taking my name and number(s) last time however, but I guess they put that policy into place because they were having problems with LEAFers just leaving their cars plugged in indefinitely (?! disappearing somewhere I guess, even though there's really nothing nearby).
  • OTOH, I want to take this opportunity to commend Dirito Brothers Nissan in Concord, who placed their Chademo in an ideal location, literally a few steps outside the Service department. When Service is open, I just roll in, ask someone to come out, and they will often "drop everything", step outside and plug me in themselves (because it takes so little time). When Service isn't open, I call the main number and ask the receptionist to have someone come out and almost always someone promptly appears. Once or twice it's taken multiple tries to get the sequence or connection "right", but I know it's all new (especially for sales people rather than service folk) so I don't mind at all.
  • Finally, regarding # of DCQCs, I talked with a rep from nrg/evGo at Plug In Day this weekend, and she said that they plan on installing hundreds of quick chargers in California alone in the next four years. Is this news? I know some here may disagree with this, but I said they couldn't add them between LA and SF fast enough. The rep also said that they would be able to add SAE quick-charge plugs to the same units if and when that became necessary. (And a final aside: from their literature, it sounds like the fee structure would be either: $15/month+10¢/minute or a flat $10 per 20-minute charge(!) for non-subscribers)

Bottom line: probably for multiple and various reasons, each dealer setup is unique and some are much better (in both the location of the charger and training of the staff) than others. I have used quick chargers a lot and would love it if nrg's plans materialize (though of course with a lower monthly fee).

^^^
FWIW, my single personal use of a CHAdeMO charger was at the San Jose Premier Nissan, not Fremont.

I think ALL dealers should REQUIRE users of their L2 and DC FC to leave their contact info on their car. And, if using their DC FC, at what time of day or % indicated SoC they can be unplugged at. For L2, they should be required to leave the former.

My experience that I posted earlier was somewhat frustrating and as I said, I'd likely have gotten just as much juice in the same amount of time using 1 of the 7 free L2 Clipper Creek L2s at the Santa Clara Valley Water District office due to my car's 6 kW OBC. I've never arrived when they were all in use, yet.

mbender said:
A few random comments after reading the last few pages on this topic:

<snip>
  • Finally, regarding # of DCQCs, I talked with a rep from nrg/evGo at Plug In Day this weekend, and she said that they plan on installing hundreds of quick chargers in California alone in the next four years. Is this news? I know some here may disagree with this, but I said they couldn't add them between LA and SF fast enough. The rep also said that they would be able to add SAE quick-charge plugs to the same units if and when that became necessary. (And a final aside: from their literature, it sounds like the fee structure would be either: $15/month+10¢/minute or a flat $10 per 20-minute charge(!) for non-subscribers)

Bottom line: probably for multiple and various reasons, each dealer setup is unique and some are much better (in both the location of the charger and training of the staff) than others. I have used quick chargers a lot and would love it if nrg's plans materialize (though of course with a lower monthly fee).
No, NRG's plans for Ca. aren't news, in fact they're required to put these in due to settling a lawsuit with the state. See

http://www.plugincars.com/first-charging-station-opened-nrg-continues-slow-pace-128296.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I forget the exact distribution, but it's something like 110 in So.Cal., 55 in the S.F. Bay Area, some in the Sacramento area and 14 in the San Joaquin Valley. And they just opened their first QC in San Diego, with both CHAdeMO and CCS capability:

http://insideevs.com/nrg-evgo-and-simon-property-group-unveils-first-sae-combo-chademo-and-ac-j1772-charging-station-in-us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: In a comment to an article about the San Diego opening on Plugincars.com,

http://www.plugincars.com/evgo-launches-first-electric-car-location-both-quick-charge-standards-128454.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a poster claims that there's now a dual-capable eVgo Freedom station in Fremont, Ca. I assume it's the one shown at Whole Foods on Plugshare. Anyone have any info confirming or denying this? It's not shown on eVgo's website map.

It is a Sumitomo / Nissan QC unit, CHADeMo only. No CCS that I could see. I will go back in the day when I have my EVgo card they are sending me.

GRA said:
a poster claims that there's now a dual-capable eVgo Freedom station in Fremont, Ca. I assume it's the one shown at Whole Foods on Plugshare. Anyone have any info confirming or denying this? It's not shown on eVgo's website map.

I live just a mile or so away from the new Whole Foods in Fremont, CA. I went there last weekend and can confirm the eVgo stations are there. Given this is the only station in the area, I'm not sure it's worth signing up for an access card.

I was at Premier Nissan again recently to have NTB13-069 applied due to my all the '13 Leaf experiencing the classic symptoms others have reported (hitting the yellow ! car w/premature charging stoppage). I didn't need juice but when I was there, someone wanted to use the DC FC and said it was reporting a temperature error.

Back