Nissan Reaches Settlement in Defective LEAF Battery Class Ac

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before Nissan will honor the 4 bars (70%) lost warranty, the dealer has to install the P3227 software and then pull the actual loss with their Consult III+. Or, at least so I was told...

garygid said:
So, do we have the warranty offered earlier, or do we only have
that one if we have the latest firmware uograde?

TomT said:
Before Nissan will honor the 4 bars (70%) lost warranty, the dealer has to install the P3227 software and then pull the actual loss with their Consult III+. Or, at least so I was told...

garygid said:
So, do we have the warranty offered earlier, or do we only have
that one if we have the latest firmware uograde?

that is the difference between the settlement and the warranty.
settlement has no requirement for the software change.

I noticed after my software update that I lose bars at a MUCH lower GID reading than I used to.

They can just keep remapping the bars as much as they want since they don't relate to any real percentage or KWh number. What a bunch of BS.

Philip

thankyouOB said:
think plaintiff bar is greedy?
this is no cost and no risk for the plaintiff.

you are free to file your own suit and pay your attorney by the hour.
Wow you were about the last guy I would have expected to jump to the defense of lawyers.

The problem I have with these class action deals is you have a group of people who incurred a loss, but the people who glommed onto the situation quickly accept a settlement for far less than the loss incurred. They cash in big time, and the people who experienced the loss each get a starbucks gift card.

I think people should be compensated for their efforts, and in fact should be handsomely compensated for obtaining a good outcome.

Maybe I'm off base here. I'm all ears.

LTLFTcomposite said:
... I think people should be compensated for their efforts, and in fact should be handsomely compensated for obtaining a good outcome.

Maybe I'm off base here. I'm all ears.
Look at it from the POV of a hot weather LEAF owner, the outcome is a warranty they didn't have before, and a new battery if they need it. Pretty good outcome, I'd say. Now, some people here may think that the suit wasn't the catalyst for the warranty (and that MNL was)...it's really hard to tell without inside info from Nissan.

davewill said:
Now, some people here may think that the suit wasn't the catalyst for the warranty (and that MNL was)...it's really hard to tell without inside info from Nissan.
batteryproblemmnl

Agreed. Interestingly, when you read the text of the complaint, it appears that at least some of the information used was sourced from MNL. If memory serves, at least one of the plaintiffs posted on the forum. He purchased a used LEAF with less than 12 capacity bars, and apparently did not realize what this implied. He lost one or two capacity bars in a short period of time last summer, and was not seen again, until his name surfaced in the legal filing. I could have this wrong, it's been a while, but it makes you wonder. That said, it's good to see new batteries being installed in AZ and TX LEAFs.

There isn't anything new in that class action mailing (I got two of them) that we didn't know on Jan 8, 2013 in Scottsdale, Arizona at this meeting.

Yes, obviously the voracity of those of us on MNL played some role in the final result. Nissan reps wouldn't ever come here if that wasn't the case!!

thankyouOB said:
that is the difference between the settlement and the warranty.
settlement has no requirement for the software change.

In light of reviewing the paperwork today, I don't think I'm going to P3227. It doesn't appear that I'm obligated to under the settlement. And if Nissan insists on it before they'll give me a new pack, they can do it AFTER my 4 bars are already gone.

Personally, I will never see a 4-bar loss on my car. I'm just HOPING Nissan will be kind enough to allow me to trade in, i.e. purchase with a discount, a new battery hopefully available around late 2015.

At this point we are completely dependent upon Nissan's expertise and what tech they bring to the table, and make freely (ha-ha, what a pun!) available. The electro auto mechanics are still a decade away before they become commonplace, and so is the market awash in better and denser batteries.

thankyouOB said:
TomT said:
garygid said:
So, do we have the warranty offered earlier, or do we only have that one if we have the latest firmware uograde?
that is the difference between the settlement and the warranty. settlement has no requirement for the software change.
Where does this rumor about having to install P3227 first keep coming from? The answer was spelled out clearly in the letter from Nissan that Brian Brockman posted on June 7 when he started the thread Update on Battery Warranty Enhancement for 2011 & 2012 LEAF
If your vehicle’s battery capacity level gauge is already displaying eight (8) or fewer bars of capacity prior to the above referenced software update (and within the first 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first), your Nissan dealer will verify this condition and arrange for the repair or replacement of the lithium-ion battery in accordance with the terms of the warranty.
If you are as cynical about this as philipscoggins, all you have to do is not get the P3227 update, wait until you get down to 8 capacity bars, and (assuming it happens within 5 years/60K) take the car to any Nissan dealer with that official letter in hand.

Ray

Frankly, I can't see any good reason not to get it... There is no indication that it is going to have any significant affect on when you will loose 4 bars and it does tighten up the tolerance considerably (from plus/minus 10 percent to plus 0 and minus 4 percent) and adds temperature compensation...

mwalsh said:
In light of reviewing the paperwork today, I don't think I'm going to P3227. It doesn't appear that I'm obligated to under the settlement. And if Nissan insists on it before they'll give me a new pack, they can do it AFTER my 4 bars are already gone.

Got the notice today in the mail. I will Object, which allows me to remain a Settlement Class Member.

I object on the grounds that we do not have a retail price for replacement and installation of a battery at our discretion. For owners that feel that the normal and expected loss has become large enough to warrant replacement of the pack (which may be above the threshold of the proposed warranty requirements), they should have the option of paying for a replacement battery pack.

By not offering such an option Nissan is being dishonest by denying the ability for owners to repair their vehicles as they see fit.

If they're going to give everyone the warranty anyway what is the advantage of remaining in the class? Not having the degradation determination based on the "fixed" software?

I suspect that they would simply refuse to accept it and you would be in default...

garygid said:
What happens if you turn your car in at the end of the lease,
by having it towed to a dealer that was too far to drive to,
and accidently the battery pack was/went missing?

Since there is no monetary settlement in the suit, I really don't see the difference between remaining in the class or not, unless they are going to flag cars that opt out of the class and refuse to give them the warranty... BTW, the "official" loss is confirmed by the dealer reading the capacity with their Consult III+...

LTLFTcomposite said:
If they're going to give everyone the warranty anyway what is the advantage of remaining in the class? Not having the degradation determination based on the "fixed" software?

I've lost 2 bars at 14,000 miles in Arizona and I will stay in the class action as this is helpful for me. Most others should leave the class action if they are not in a hot climate and don't anticipate losing 4 bars by 60,000 mi or 5 years as it can limit your options if any other issues with the battery.

Back