NIssan Quality, Not Impressed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVDRIVER

Today I replaced the front speakers on my Leaf including the tweeters in the A pillar so I really had some more time to see the car build up close, I have taken apart almost every car brand on the market as years ago I owned a car audio business and I have done plenty of auto work including building conversions from late model cars. I have never owned a Nissan prior to this and at this point I don't think would buy one again. Just pulling of parts to do the speakers and mount crossovers I found the following:

(5) clips that were not clipped in
Several wire looms not in the proper positions
Various plastic shields and insulation covers placed sloppily
Loose screws in several places
Poorly engineered attachments and really cheap fastening parts
Some parts connected very well

I then decided to inspect the battery for a possible amp connection and in looking in the engine compartment I found a wire hook out of it's attachment and an entire fuse block that was NEVER connected to the car and just hanging there, I hooked it into the proper location. I have to say this car looks slapped together like it was made in America, although I did see many Chinese electrical parts under the dash and it felt more Chinese made than Japanese.

While on the floor I noticed the driver side mats are already unraveling on the top edge at the firewall and will likely need replacing in a year assuming they age at that rate. My carpeting (if you call it carpeting) is pilling up on the drivers left side in big balls like it was years old. Could Nissan have used anything cheaper on this car? Even the seats now have wrinkles from leaning on them a bit when working, really pathetic and cheap. Some have seen the factory speakers but let me assure you the magnets are on par with hearing aids, it's laughable how crappy they are. Now that I have a pair of $500 JL audio separates in the front the sound is a bit better but one can really hear how poor the fidelity of the Clarion head unit shines, so speakers only provide marginal improvement. Overall I think the build quality of the car is far below a Toyota Yaris base model which seems built well in comparison. I think Nissan cut many corners and squeezed pennies to get margin on this car. I suppose if the carpet wears out I can get some more sprayed on, at least it looks like that is how Nissan applies the stuff. It would all be acceptable if MSRP was $25K before rebates. :shock:

Rant over- Step it up Nissan, people are not blind.

Having been over the car installing ham radio equipment and making some other mods and additions, I have to completely agree. I found similar things on my car. One particularly worrisome accidental discovery when I was doing the horn was a suspension bolt on the passengers side that was little more than finger tight. It is a night and day difference from my BMW or Acura, or even Mazda and Honda. I have to wonder if Infinitis are any better... It is making me happier and happier that I leased rather than buying though...

EVDRIVER said:
Overall I think the build quality of the car is far below a Toyota Yaris base model which seems built well in comparison. I think Nissan cut many corners and squeezed pennies to get margin on this car. I suppose if the carpet wears out I can get some more sprayed on, at least it looks like that is how Nissan applies the stuff :shock:

Rant over- Step it up Nissan

Seriously, the floor mats looked cheap in the pictures but the mats and interior in my 05 Tacoma looks like new and the quality is so superior. Is the "carpeting" in the LEAF indoor/outdoor? Talk about the wrong things to scrimp on! The magnet on the tweeter in the A pillar is the came size as the speaker in the door, no kidding. I'm still laughing! The best part is how the speaker wire colors change colors several times on their path, brilliant design idea. I would compare the materials used to super econo box cars in Mexico, the materials used in most $15K cars seem much better. I think Nissan will suffer on their quality surveys particularly those who are first time buyers coming from Toyota products.

I have to agree with EVDRIVER as well. I haven't had my car as far apart but I've noticed a few problems as well. I was looking at the plastic shield on the underside and I noticed that it was missing a few screws, and some of the other screws were loose. I think there were only like 3 left. Almost looked like the plastic piece could start to hang down at some point. I had the dealer replace the screws when I had it in the other day (they had the guts to actually charge me for the 5 screws they had to replace).

Might want to check yours and see if any screws are missing or loose. Come on Nissan! Not Toyota build quality for sure.

-Peter

I've found a few fasteners of questionable utility, and I am really glad I bought the accessory mats. But other than those two things.....

But then, I've not torn my car apart like some of you guys have. :lol:

prberg said:
I have to agree with EVDRIVER as well. I haven't had my car as far apart but I've noticed a few problems as well. I was looking at the plastic shield on the underside and I noticed that it was missing a few screws, and some of the other screws were loose. I think there were only like 3 left. Almost looked like the plastic piece could start to hang down at some point. I had the dealer replace the screws when I had it in the other day (they had the guts to actually charge me for the 5 screws they had to replace).

Might want to check yours and see if any screws are missing or loose. Come on Nissan! Not Toyota build quality for sure.

-Peter

That's a warranty item.

EVDRIVER said:
I would compare the materials used to super econo box cars in Mexico, the materials used in most $15K cars seem much better.
All right, you Fanboy, enough defense of your chosen brand :lol:

You, guys, complaining about loose screws and cheap carpet, while my car already undergone major repair work by replacing heater, DC controller block along with tons of wiring, so... I should probably start screaming about its quality, but whatever, that's what warranty is for. :cool:

Wow! I don't know what to say. My '06 Prius doesn't show any issues such as stated in this thread. It's the best car I've ever had--bar none.
Now, I really respect you guys' judgement (Mogur, Evdriver, and others.) Since my car's not expected to arrive until June (or later), I'm back on the fence regarding going thru with this transaction. A couple months back, I was really close to buying another new Prius for my wife, but decided at that time to stick with the Leaf because I really would like to have an all-electric vehicle.
Now, (at least here in southern California) the Prius' are flying off the lots at and above MSRP, due to the increase in gas prices. :(

Looks like leasing is indeed the way to go with the Leaf, especially with this build quality. I've owned 3 Altimas, and saw no issues with those. I'm thinking the rush to build and long overtime hours played a part in this.

Have you guys seen the superior build quality to-date of Tesla's model S? I've never seen anything built to their quality. Looks like I will definitely be saving my nickels and dimes for the "S".

Glad I saw this post, thanks!

derkraut said:
Wow! I don't know what to say. My '06 Prius doesn't show any issues such as stated in this thread. It's the best car I've ever had--bar none.
Now, I really respect you guys' judgement (Mogur, Evdriver, and others.) Since my car's not expected to arrive until June (or later), I'm back on the fence regarding going thru with this transaction. A couple months back, I was really close to buying another new Prius for my wife, but decided at that time to stick with the Leaf because I really would like to have an all-electric vehicle.
Now, (at least here in southern California) the Prius' are flying off the lots at and above MSRP, due to the increase in gas prices. :(

"What a feeling Toyota" Toyota quality is superior to Nissan and has been for a long time IMO.

I was changing my fog lights out with LED bulb's and found a loose screw on the under panel as well.

prberg said:

-Peter

I want to do that as well. What did you use and how do they look? What wattage? (I'm amazed how little light the stock lights throw considering what they draw!)

Gonewild said:
I was changing my fog lights out with LED bulb's and found a loose screw on the under panel as well.
-Peter
[/quote]

Toyota Quality=Largest Recall In History

I have owned more than 8 Nissan and 2 Infinitis in the last ten years. I have had no problems other than the rear hatch on a 2005 Quest.

Toyotas are OK if you like vanilla, girly cars. :lol:

avanti5010 said:
Toyota Quality=Largest Recall In History

I have owned more than 8 Nissan and 2 Infinitis in the last ten years. I have had no problems other than the rear hatch on a 2005 Quest.

Toyotas are OK if you like vanilla, girly cars. :lol:

Over 10 cars in 10 years? Why such a big turnover? :? :?

My Acura has given me 11 yrs of trouble free miles and counting. Nothing failed so far in that car. I even have the original brake pads. However, this will be my first Nissan and my Leaf is supposed to be due next week. I'm buying the Leaf thinking that It will be similar to my Acura minus the maintenance (oil changes, smog, etc) Now, reading about your experiences so far, I'm on the fence after waiting for the car for almost a year. Would you still have bought the Leaf knowing about these poor quality or would you just wait for the Rav4 EV or others?

Also, anyone know the crash test results of the Leaf yet? I know the Versa had poor ratings.

Low build quality doesn't surprise me at all. Nissan is trying to sell a sophisticated EV at a very low price and therefore has to minimize cost in every way possible (think an Aveo with a $16,000 battery). Take a look at the "suspension walkaround" on the Edmunds blog. It looks like there was no expense that wasn't spared.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/03/2011-nissan-leaf-suspension-walkaround.html

tailgate1234 said:
Low build quality doesn't surprise me at all. Nissan is trying to sell a sophisticated EV at a very low price and therefore has to minimize cost in every way possible (think an Aveo with a $16,000 battery). Take a look at the "suspension walkaround" on the Edmunds blog. It looks like there was no expense that wasn't spared.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2011/03/2011-nissan-leaf-suspension-walkaround.html

I don't disagree the Nissan is trying to sell a sophisticated EV at a low price, but if you are going to do things on the cheap - then it should be up to your engineers to figure out how to save the money. Cheap carpets are an engineering (or maybe marketing) decision. Not tightening screws and fastening wires points to a whole different problem - and that's not one which was contentiously designed from the outset to reduce costs.

Despite minor flaw i don't have no issues with its build quality. It feels and looks as solid as my 08 Sentra SL and much much better then my other Japanese made car, Mitsubishi Outlander.

Back