Next San Diego EVent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014, CANCELLED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
What are you driving? Maybe I want to do that instead!
Driving my '68 911 in the PCA-SDR Autocross series. I don't think it would be a good thing for the Leaf users in SD to have your attention diverted in such a way, though. :D

However, there is another identical event next weekend (Mar. 17) if you want to check it out without interfering with your Leaf usergroup organizational tasks (which I am sure everyone would agree have been prodigious and highly appreciated). Details are at the link above. If you want to check out the event, spectating is free--you just have to sign a waiver when entering the west lot location. If you'd like to get more involved than just watching, I can arrange a ride-along in my car for $10 under our 'Taste of the Track" program. If you'd like to enter, it's too late to pre-register for this next one (the deadline was last night) but you can pay more and enter the day of the event. I can answer any questions you have that aren't covered in the introductory info on the PCA site, just PM me. I found a live 120V socket there when I ran our Leaf last year, so L1 charging is possible on site, and there is L2 at the Ikea next door, so you would be able to get home OK. :)

TT

Nice job with the first two gatherings, San Diegans! I'd love to make the trip down one of these days to attend. If you have a wealthy (or corporate) benefactor with a WebEx or Go To Meeting account, you can webcast your meetings. Up North, we just started doing this in January, and at our March meeting, we even had 1 participant from Europe.

Are you guys taking attendance? Nissan is watching these clubs pretty seriously and the Japanese are particularly interested in numbers of attendees.

gascant said:
Nice job with the first two gatherings, San Diegans! I'd love to make the trip down one of these days to attend. If you have a wealthy (or corporate) benefactor with a WebEx or Go To Meeting account, you can webcast your meetings. Up North, we just started doing this in January, and at our March meeting, we even had 1 participant from Europe.

Are you guys taking attendance? Nissan is watching these clubs pretty seriously and the Japanese are particularly interested in numbers of attendees.

I don't personally have any working knowledge with this, but perhaps somebody can step up who does. I do have a pretty nice Canon HD video camera and tripod. We would almost have to have an audio system, which I can probably do with my amplifier and outdoor stereo speakers. I'd just need a microphone.

Even if I had all the hardware, again, we'd need a person to run all this stuff, and either broadcast it, or YouTube it later.

Anybody? I don't formally take any attendance so far, but we will for this meeting.

Oh, I invited the folks from the Coda and Fisker dealer to bring a couple of cars up to display.

TonyWilliams said:
gascant said:

I don't personally have any working knowledge with this, but perhaps somebody can step up who does. I do have a pretty nice Canon HD video camera and tripod. We would almost have to have an audio system, which I can probably do with my amplifier and outdoor stereo speakers. I'd just need a microphone.

Our benefactor (one of our members who has a WebEx account) just brings a web cam and we use a speaker phone (usually already at the venue). So, pretty low on the expense side. You could also use the laptop's microphone and speakers, though it's not as good. I should have mentioned that this works best when you are showing slides. Up here in Silicon Valley, people have come to expect the presentation format. If the gatherings are more discussion oriented, then webcasting isn't such a good idea. One thing we did last time, since we had cars indoors, was to webcast the horn upgrade clinic. That was pretty cool--6 virtual attendees.

EarthFair Balboa Park 2012
April 22, 2012
10am - 5pm
Setup is from 8:00am to 9:00am. (The police will close the roads to vehicles promptly at 9:00am; they will remain closed until the end of the fair – so don't be late!)

Register by April 17:

http://www.earthdayweb.org/EFExh/CCCOnlineReg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have confirmation that a brand new, made in California, Coda EV will be on display. Also, I did a couple of newspaper interviews with both North County Times and the local Poway newspaper.

Does anybody have a full size pickup with a 2 inch receiver that I could use Friday afternoon through Saturday afternoon to pull a 6700 pound, 70KVA generator?

It will require a Pintle hitch (which I'll get).

Or deliver and return the genset for us? Otherwise, I'll have to rent a truck.

Tony
858-245-821 seven

Final announcement for this Saturday:

Saturday, April 7, 2012, 9am-12pm

Hamburger Factory restaurant
14122 Midland Road
Poway, CA 92064

Phone: 858-486-4575
http://hamburgerfactory.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.poway.org/Index.aspx?page=110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be ready for a comprehensive LEAF quiz! The highest score gets a prize.

DC quick charge demonstration, door prizes, new bigger meeting room, yummy food !!

8am-ish: The truly hard core LEAFers who want the best parking spot arrive. If you want one-on-one time with the most addicted EV aficionadoes, this is a great time. Plus, it should still be relatively cool.

9am - 10am: Arrivals, please park in the lot directly across Midland street from the train depot.
Breakfast in the back room reserved for us at Hamburger Factory restaurant.

10am - 10:55am: We're moving up to a bigger meeting room. General meeting will be at building across the courtyard near the windmill, called Templars Hall. It's the larger wooden building. We will pass the hat for $3-$5 typically to pay for the room rental from the city.

10:55am - 11:05am: Intermission

11:05am - 12pm: Second half of meeting, then picking up chairs and clean up.

After 12 noon: Lots of mulling around the cars that usually lasts through 1pm.

Displays:

Andromeda Power will display and demonstrate their DC quick charger

CANCELLED: Marvin K. Brown auto dealership has been invited to display the new Coda electric car (they are also the Fisker dealer)

CANCELLED: Car2go will display their Smart electric vehicle.

Guests:

I've invited Luigi Giubbolini, President of Andromedapower.com to our meeting. He's producing an exciting line of DC quick chargers, and is located right here in sunny SoCal. We should have this unit operational to try on your car.

Andy Hoskinson and David Gatcha of Ecotality / Blink have confirmed their team will be returning. One of these times he'll be telling about a DC charger somewhere!

Randy Walsh, Director of Energy Management and Sustainability and works for Meissner Jacquet Investment Management Services

Hopefully, we'll have updates from EV Oasis and ChargeBliss.

Also invited are folks from:

California Public Utilities Commission (the folks who regulate the electric demand chargers for utilities)

California Center for Sustainable Energy (the folks who send you your $2500 - $5000 rebate check)

SanDag (The San Diego Association of Governments is the San Diego region's primary public planning, transportation, and research agency)

City of Poway

City of San Diego's Mayor's office

NRG/eVgo, the folks just gifted by the State of California to install $100 million in EV infrastructure throughout the state, including 200 DC quick chargers over 4 years.

Nearby charging locations:

Brand new L2 charger, no card required at:

1.2 miles away:
Walgreens
13390 Poway Road
Poway, CA 92064

Three L2 chargers, no card required at:

1.7 miles away:
Mossy Nissan
14100 Poway Road
Poway, CA 92064

Plus, we will have at least one DC charger operational and on site, courtesy of Andromeda Power. If you need a charge from this charger, please reserve a time.

The news buzzzzzzz

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/poway/poway-electric-car-fans-to-meet-in-old-poway-park/article_74fe7f07-96f7-5686-96d8-175cc9821e1b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TonyWilliams said:
Plus, we will have at least one DC charger operational and on site, courtesy of Andromeda Power. If you need a charge from this charger, please reserve a time.
How does one reserve a time on the QC? I will definitely be low, like around turtle.

TonyWilliams said:
91040 said:
TonyWilliams said:
How does one reserve a time on the QC? I will definitely be low, like around turtle.
Just show up so far !!!
I have decided to come, and I could use some QC as well, although not nearly as much as 91040. To split up the driving, 104 miles each way, I have reserved a room for tonight at Pechanga Resort. They have 6 no-fee AV EVSEs.

43 miles from the resort to the Poway restaurant, with some elevation changes. Perhaps charging to 80% on Andromeda QC and then toping off to 100% on L2. I want to have a full tank for the ride home to limit how much time I stop tomorrow afternoon for in-route charging.

If you have time on your agenda, I could give folks a quick summary of the San Bernardino 7-11 QC situation. If not, that is fine too.

Tom,

Sounds great. Our two hour time window for a meeting is usually jam packed,mbut we have so far always got everybody in ( I have a big hook for long winded speakers!).

I'm picking up the rented SUV that I need to tow the genset now. Everybody coming from outside San Diego County will have first dibs on the DC charger.

The 55kW generator has been delivered. We will be powering EVERYTHING at once; 120v, 240v, and 480v3phase.

I have cables, but if you need a charge, bring your own extension cord if you have one. Mark your Nissan/Panasonic EVSE with your license plate and name.

Tony

JeremyW said:
I'll be coming down in the ICE. :)

If anyone in the south OC area wants to hitch a ride, let me know ASAP!

Jeremy

Stop by an unsuspecting Nissan dealer and tell them you want to test drive their car until Saturday afternoon. Easy.

Back