Next San Diego EVent: Sat, Aug 9, 2014, CANCELLED

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmydreams said:
If Aladdin puts in EV charging/parking, they have MY business! From Oceanside to SAN airport round-trip with no charging = arriving on zero electrons or less. Aladdin EV charging = :)

75-ish miles round trip... all freeway! No fun.

Are we going to see you in Pow-Pow Poway on Feb 25 ? We can race Smart EVs around.

Another strategy for QC demand charge mitigation is to exploit the thermal mass of large A/C systems. Many large A/C installations chill water or produce ice which is then used to cool the air. I would think you could pause or throttle back these systems for 30 min during a QC charge without anyone noticing.

I understand that the SDG&E demand charge is excessive, but as I reported in the SCE thread, SCE has a special demand charge for high-power (20 to 500 kW) EV charging. $12/max kW/month, so 30 kW would cost $12/day. Once a station gets beyond 1 or 2 QC per day, $12/day on top of everything else should be tolerable.

tbleakne said:
I understand that the SDG&E demand charge is excessive, but as I reported in the SCE thread, SCE has a special demand charge for high-power (20 to 500 kW) EV charging. $12/max kW/month, so 30 kW would cost $12/day. Once a station gets beyond 1 or 2 QC per day, $12/day on top of everything else should be tolerable.

TBleakne,
Demand charges are spec'ed in dollars per kw demand per month. A traditional DCFC for full speed LEAF charging would draw 60kW, so in your example above, the first use in a month would incur a $720 demand charge in addition to the energy (demand charge = 60 x $12 = $720). If that was the max peak for the month, that would be the extent of the demand charge for that service. The demand charge is not per day as you have outlined above...A smaller DCFC unit with a slower charge rate would have a lower demand charge...

Thanks, Randy

Randy said:
tbleakne said:
$12/max kW/month, so 30 kW would cost $12/day.

TBleakne,
The demand charge is not per day as you have outlined above...
Thanks, Randy
As was clear to garygid, [30 kW*($12/kW)=$360/month demand charge]/(30 days/month) = $12/day daily average to be compared with average daily revenue.

In my one experience with QC on my Leaf, with near ideal conditions (cool,not cold, car had been "resting" for 30 minutes, starting SOC was 55%), my Leaf pulled a maximum charge rate of 30 kW as measured by the SOC meter. The total AC input power was somewhat higher (unknown charger efficiency), but a host limit of 30kW would be perfectly acceptable to me.

TonyWilliams said:
Jimmydreams said:
If Aladdin puts in EV charging/parking, they have MY business! From Oceanside to SAN airport round-trip with no charging = arriving on zero electrons or less. Aladdin EV charging = :)

Are we going to see you in Pow-Pow Poway on Feb 25 ? We can race Smart EVs around.

I haven't planned out as far as Saturday, yet, Tony. ;)

It's about 30/70 at this point since my other car will be in use and I have to work later that day.....not enough time to recharge, I don't think.

Jimmydreams said:
TonyWilliams said:
Jimmydreams said:

I haven't planned out as far as Saturday, yet, Tony. ;)

It's about 30/70 at this point since my other car will be in use and I have to work later that day.....not enough time to recharge, I don't think.

We can leave you plugged in at my house. Poway Nissan is right around the corner to charge. Also, it is possible to use a little 120v at the site.

TonyWilliams said:
We can leave you plugged in at my house. Poway Nissan is right around the corner to charge. Also, it is possible to use a little 120v at the site.

Hmmmm...I might take you up on that!! I'll get back to you. Thanks!!!!

I can charge three or four cars at once here. One Blink, one additional 40 amp NEMA 6-50R that can be split to charge to two cars at full power (240v/16amp) with the upgraded EVSE. Also, could probably handle several 120v charges at once.

All from the sun.

Thanks Randy. The room I originally wanted was not available, so after breakfast from 9am-10am at Hamburger Factory, walk across the courtyard, past the windmill to the "Porter House Parlour" room. Hopefully, the city will have chairs setup.

Please park across the street in the (hopefully) empty lot. Maybe we should put streamers up there?

Hopefully, I'll have some of the charging port covers that are not available in the USA.

dop_th_11.jpg

if you're coming from the OC or Riverside County for our San Diego meeting on Feb 25, I can charge at least 2 LEAFs at my house in San Diego, which is just a short hop over to the Hamburger Factory in Poway. In addition, there is Mossy Nissan Poway less than 2 miles away. Finally, it may be possible that we will have both a city supplied generator and other power available at the meeting site.

There should be folks in SD North County who might volunteer to LEAF-frog to Poway.

For those who were interested in the charge port cover, they were shipped today from Japan and there's a good chance I'll have that at the meeting.

Evoasis will be hosting a Celebration of the EV on February 25th in Del Mar from 4-10PM. They will have some "pre-deployment" DC Chargers at the location for viewing and detailed introduction.

If you wish to attend, and are "within range", please drop Angus Clark a note with your name and number in your party to: [email protected]

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=173538#p173538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man, two events - same day...I try to avoid on-peak charging like the plague, but this may be the exception to the rule....

Back