New free eTEC charger survey?? (ECOtality for SF Bay Area)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wait a minute.
Are you telling me that after stealing $100 from me then trying to rip me off, now AV is costing me a chance at a free EVSE?

trentr said:
I asked that some folks got denied without taking the survey. She said the reason is because these folks have contacted AV or did an assessment with them. She said that the system will automatically deny them of the survey. Apparently, Nissan is going through one by one enabling the survey manually if you didn't deal with AV.
UPDATE:

Better news - After seeing a "you do not qualify for an eTec charging system" message yesterday placed right above "AV Pending Installation" (which I had declined months ago), I again called Nissan Customer Service a couple of hours ago.

I was reminded that switching over to the eTec Survey (when you had already had an AV assessment, declined or not) would take 24-48 hours; I now remembered that I had been told this earlier in the week. :roll:

Let's see, 48 hours from the first call, that would be right about ... O M G -- NOW !!

Voila! After logging out and back into my Dashboard, an eTec "survey available" message now took the place of the old AV Assessment. Woo hoo!

I filled in the survey (which seems to be more detailed than the Ecotality website version, BTW) and submitted it via a click. (And they give you the option of downloading a copy of all of the questions and your answers!)

Dashboard now says "eTec Application Pending" ! :cool:

In spite of the emotional ups and downs of this process, the glitches in the Dashboard and the need for multiple conversations/online chats with Nissan reps, I'm sensing good intentions on Nissan & Ecotality's part.

And even if I don't get into the program, at least I know that I was able to apply.

rclams

I too was one of those who paid AV $100 for the assessment but never ordered the charger due to the high install cost and low function of the AV charger. After calling Nissan yesterday they asked some questions (Yes I ordered the DC Quick Charger option) and was told they would put my name in for the eTEC charger and I would be contacted by the EV Project.

However, like a lot of others my Dashboard updated last night to the You Don't Qualify for eTEC message.

All of that changed a little while ago when I checked my Dashboard and it had changed to have the Questionnaire option.

I have just finished the Residential Prospect Questionnaire and my Dashboard now says "eTEC application pending*".

I am very happy now.

My zip is 95120 which is South San Jose and my delivery date is April 2011.

I too have been told to keep checking as they are in the process of updating it manually for certain people. I am yet to see the survey but will keep checking and keep asking them until I get to take the survey.

Of course if I get denied, I am going to start asking Nissan more reasons but I think at that point it would be ECOTality to answer as from what I read, I have not idea how they are identifying zips that qualify.

trentr said:
I got a call from a lady at Nissan( private caller ID). She said that my application/survey is under review by eTec and will contact me in about 1-2 weeks. Also, since I got the survey it means that I'm in the zip code that is being considered for this project( makes sense). I asked that some folks got denied without taking the survey. She said the reason is because these folks have contacted AV or did an assessment with them. She said that the system will automatically deny them of the survey. Apparently, Nissan is going through one by one enabling the survey manually if you didn't deal with AV. She also said that they are going through the list and calling people one by one. I'm not sure if that list includes people who did not take the survey. I had to end the call.
Wow! Thanks for that. Surprising that ECOTotality, etc. can't just say we don't have our act together and we're sending out false eligibility decisons - we'll ge tback to you in a couple days, and then actually do it! I'm REALLY glad we have each other here on the forums. Could you imagine if we just believe everytime some organization or rep in this process says no or that $2200 is a bargain to install an EV charger?

Turbo3 said:
I too was one of those who paid AV $100 for the assessment but never ordered the charger due to the high install cost and low function of the AV charger. After calling Nissan yesterday they asked some questions (Yes I ordered the DC Quick Charger option) and was told they would put my name in for the eTEC charger and I would be contacted by the EV Project.

However, like a lot of others my Dashboard updated last night to the You Don't Qualify for eTEC message.
All of that changed a little while ago when I checked my Dashboard and it had changed to have the Questionnaire option.
I have just finished the Residential Prospect Questionnaire and my Dashboard now says "eTEC application pending*".
I am very happy now.

My zip is 95120 which is South San Jose and my delivery date is April 2011.

I'm in the same BAT ZIP Code with the same BAT Delivery time as you. I also have an existing, fully permitted, RAV4 EV charger on a 240V 40A dedicated circuit, that they can just swap out like replacing a hardwired appliance and use the existing circuit. Like the appliance store when I replaced my electric cooktop and they charged $100 and didn't need a permit. Replacing the cooktop was harder than swapping out the EV charger because the installer had to trim the tile!

My DashBoard is still showing "you don't meet the criteria for the free eTec home charger". I never applied for the AV waiver after getting the AV assessment, since I was assured it would not interfere with EVProject eligibility. Thanks for that also! (Background sounds of fingers dialing 1-877 NO GAS EV)

Update: 1-877 NO GAS EV told me their system showed that I was not eligible but also showed that I had not taken the survey!! That's amusing since I submitted my data over the phone to 1-877 NO GAS EV, and on the EVProject website. Well, no matter. We all know this process is a bit wonky. So 1-877 NO GAS EV enabled me for the survey and said it should appear in my DashBoard on Monday or sooner.

csriram45 said:
Remember you can no longer request the rebate before picking up. What if there are funds available when you pick up but by the time they can issue u a cheque they run out. In such a scenario you can not walk away. Just a thought.
Yeah, I'll have to play it by ear. If there's a significant chance that the funds will dry up on me, I won't purchase. Hopefully, it won't one of those too-close-to-call situations.

Woot! "You may qualify for a free eTec charger"

I'm rather surprised to see that, since my car had started production without the QC port option, and CS needed to pull it back out of the queue to make the change. I'm surprised that all of that may have happened in just a couple days.

Ooo, I should view my config, to see if it has changed!

Hmm, it just comes up blank. Is that normal? I haven't been able to view my car'sconfig since I got my April delivery date last week. I understand why I wouldn't be able to edit it, but shouldn't it still be view-able?

Anyway, if anyone is trying to determine what influences "qualification", here's my particulars:

April delivery date (But maybe that will slip due to my late config change.)
Home zip code is 94551, Livermore
Work zip code is 94588, Pleasanton
I did an AV assessment, but had no intention of having them do the work.
I did fill out the mini-survey on the ECOtality site.

I guess I'll fill out the Nissan survey, but would love to hear what sort of responses they are looking for, first! ;)

Chattanooga Tennessee here. Somewhat related to this post. I received this email today:

Nissan LEAF Update

Stephen, to ensure safe and uninterrupted electric service, Nissan plans to share your LEAF™ purchase decision and your street address with your local utility beginning next month. The utility will use this information strictly for service planning. Your information will not be shared, sold or used for any other purposes. If you are unwilling to share your address, simply edit your profile to decline this option before March 1, 2011.

I'm part of the EV Project and will be receiving an Ecotality Blink unit. My garage was inspected in September, and was approved on November 9, 2010. My dashboard has delivery scheduled for May, 2011.

Ready2plugin said:
For those of us that have received the car, I just got done chatting with Nissan. According to Nissan, there is no way to get in the EV Project once the car has been delivered. :( I guess the next best thing is to still try to get the $700 rebate from BAAQMD.

Ready2plugin,

Can you send the linky to the BAAQMD webpage that describes the $700 rebate in detail? For some reason, I checked most of the webpages there and cannot find the details of this $700 rebate. Any help is appreciated - Thanks!

BAAQMD
http://www.baaqmd.gov/Divisions/Strategic-Incentives.aspx

mxp said:
Ready2plugin said:
For those of us that have received the car, I just got done chatting with Nissan. According to Nissan, there is no way to get in the EV Project once the car has been delivered. :( I guess the next best thing is to still try to get the $700 rebate from BAAQMD.

Ready2plugin,

Can you send the linky to the BAAQMD webpage that describes the $700 rebate in detail? For some reason, I checked most of the webpages there and cannot find the details of this $700 rebate. Any help is appreciated - Thanks!

BAAQMD
http://www.baaqmd.gov/Divisions/Strategic-Incentives.aspx
Unfortunately, BAAQMD has not yet updated their website ( to the best of my knowledge,) but here's a link to the CCSE page telling a little about the EV Program in the Bay Area: http://tinyurl.com/4av56yv

Can Someone please post the eTEC charger survey (ECOtality for SF Bay Area) questions that appear in the dashboard? Thanks in advance!!! :)

Most questions are multiple choice. Here is my receipt of the questionnaire with my answers removed.
The EV Project Questionnaire
Submitted Answers
First Name:
Last Name:
Home Address:
Home Address - City:
Home Address - State:
Home Address - Zip:
Home - Phone:
Home - Email Address:
Are you applying for Nissan LEAFTM vehicles for private use, or to be used as part of a business' fleet of vehicles?:
Do you own or rent your residence?:
Which of the following best describes your residence?:
Which of the following best describes the location where you will normally park your Nissan LEAF for charging?:
Which of the home layouts best describes the location of your home's electrical panel in relation to the inside area where you will charge your LEAF?:
Counting the LEAF, how many vehicles will you have in this location?:
What is the name of your electric utility company?:
Do have any outstanding permits, suspensions, red tags?:
Looking inside the electrical supply panel to your home, are there circuit breakers or screw-in fuses?:
Looking inside the electrical supply panel to your home, there is a service supply breaker. What is the supply breaker rating?:
If your electrical supply panel has circuit breakers, are there two unused slots above or below each other?:
What is the square footage of your residence?:
How old is your residence?:
Residence has specified appliance:
Are you planning any new electrical work that will require an electrical permit (for example, adding a spa, pool, or air conditioning)?:
Have you had major electrical work in your residence in the past five years that required an electrical permit (for example, added a spa or air conditioning)?:
Are there any obstructions between your electrical panel and the garage that could interfere with installing new wiring?:
The home charger requires a space of approximately 2 feet wide x 4 feet tall x 18 inches deep. Are there any obstructions inside your garage that could interfere with mounting the charger on the garage wall?:
Do you currently have a wireless internet connection at your residence that could be used for charger data transmission?:
Do you plan to stay in this residence for at least the next two years?:
Is your home part of a Home Owners Association that might have to provide approvals for this installation?:
Will use the Nissan LEAFTM for:
If you plan to commute with the LEAF, how far is your workplace from where the LEAF will be parked and charged at your residence?:
If you plan to commute with the LEAF, how many days per week do you commute?:
How often would you use the LEAF to drive to a destination such as a movie theater, restaurant, shopping center, or doctor's office?:
How many miles do you think you would drive the LEAF each year?:
The electric vehicle charging station is a fully featured unit with capabilities to communicate with smart phones. Do you have or plan to obtain a smart phone with internet applications?:
May we contact you at the above phone number or email address should we have questions about your responses?:

Thanks Spies! From the kind of questions they're asking in the extended survey, it's pretty clear to me that they are not prorperly deteriming eligibility on their short surveys - they qualify by residence ZIP Code which makes some sense but I suspect they do further qualification based on Work ZIP Code or AV Assessment that is falsely disqualifying many people. With no transparency or accountability from ECOTotality. Well now we know some more, time for some chats and phone calls!

Cool! Nissan came through and got my dashboard updated: "Home assessment: you may qualify for a free eTec charger"!

My dashboard just changed to allow me to take the survey. For the past couple of weeks it said I was ineligible.

Nissan rep called me to ask if I'd seen it open up on my dash yet. Getting tired of checking the dash for the past 200 days for no reason. Why can't Nissan push the information by email, instead of expecting me to log in daily?

my dashboard is still yet to be updated and i have contacted chat every day and they mention that they are still in the process of updating... I dont understand how can it take that long to update.... It should be a simple DB update for list of customers.... not sure whats going on... will wait for another day and check tomorrow..

csriram45 said:
my dashboard is still yet to be updated and i have contacted chat every day and they mention that they are still in the process of updating... I dont understand how can it take that long to update.... It should be a simple DB update for list of customers.... not sure whats going on... will wait for another day and check tomorrow..

I was told last Thursday that it would be posted on my Dashboard "in the next 24 hours"....still waiting. Went to their chat yesterday, they told me to keep checking it at least once per day, that they were still "working on it". I thought after getting my car the days of waiting were over...not so. Still waiting on the DMV to send plates so I can get order my HOV sticker (then wait for that to arrive). :roll:

Seems like 48 hours is pretty typical for the update, when it goes through. It took that long for me, and there was an earlier post about it taking 48 hours for someone else.

ElectricVehicle said:
Seems like 48 hours is pretty typical for the update, when it goes through. It took that long for me, and there was an earlier post about it taking 48 hours for someone else.

except that its been almost a week and i have not seen the update. :-D

Back