Top 10 DC Fast Charger locations for SF Bay Area LEAFs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricVehicle

What are the Top 10 DC Fast Charger locations you would pick to support San Francisco Bay Area LEAF drivers?

Please number your locations in order of priority from 1 to 10: 1 being the most important location, 10 being less important.

Think in terms of:
Extending consumer confidence to purchase LEAFs (in place of a gas car)
DC Fast Chargers can be outside of the SF Bay area to support Bay Area LEAFs going to other destinations.
Enabling the LEAF for more of your trips - longer distances or multiple long errands in one day.
Safety net - for missed charge events, or when your plans suddenly change and you need more charge quickly.
Enabling transit corridors.

This list is about new sites in addition to those that already exist. If you can respond today by around 7pm, that's good for me to pass along recommendations. This thread will still be useful after that, since we all know you can't build a comprehensive DCFC network in a day!!

A couple spots that come instantly to mind for me are:

Enabling I-280 from San Jose to San Francisco:
5. Filoli gardens (Very nice place, but there may be better DCFC sites..)

Enabling travel to the South:
1. Gilroy (Hwy 101)
2. Monterey (Hwy 101)
4. Santa Cruz (Hwy 1)
More along Hwy 1 or 101 ?

Travel to the Northwest:
3. Sacramento
6. Good locations along I-80 to enable travel to Tahoe and Reno?
7. Tahoe
8. Reno

Travel to the North
?

9. Sausalito?

well... I-80 is covered to sacto via vacaville Eaton QC...
New one popped up in elk grove to the south of sacto...

Hopefully state via nrg is going to load up I-5 north and south border to border, though hwy 99 quick chargers would likely get more use... more daily drivers from town to town up and down central valley.

Up Hwy 29, Napa and Calistoga seem to have one each so the eastern wine country is covered... Up hwy 101 Sonoma county has Petaluma and Santa Rosa Covered but nothing beyond... Cloverdale and ukiah or hopland would be great... Ideally all the way to Eureka/Arcata area then Crescent City to get us handed over to the oregon state ones.

AS to the south 101 from sf we can get through San jose with a bunch of Quick Charges... but it tails off after that... would be awesome for tourists if the coast... which lends itself well to gentle cruising would lite up hwy 1 from Pacifica to Santa Barbara... maybe link up to Santa Monica...

We just need them every 50 miles or so... you know... no cost there... If Nissan could just get one at every Dealer of Infinity or Nissan Products. That would cover alot of them.

1. Boonville, or another location on Highway 128, to get to Mendocino coast.

2. Salinas, King City, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo.

My list.

1 Gilroy
2 Salinas
3 Half Moon Bay
4. Monterey
5. Santa Cruz
6. Stockton
7. Livermore
8. Antioch
9. Ukiah
10. Vallejo

My personal want is to see San Francisco Water dept install one up in Moccasin for trips to Yosemite.

Obviously:

Berkeley
San Francisco
Santa Cruz

And 2 to 4 autonomous stations at each location. This one broken blink charger per location is such bullshit. Its like were trying to fail at getting people to trust the infrastructure. Imagine going to a gas station and having to wait an hour before 2 people in front of you fill up or the pump is out of order. Total BS. Tesla has multiple chargers at each location because they are not stupid and they understand good customer service. Having more stations spread out is only going to help a few people who are crazy enough to risk relying on one must make quick charge. This bs piecemeal network didnt work for blink customers or blink and it is not going to work for the masses. Try something new and smart with the deployment of these chargers.

Santa Cruz
Gilroy
San Leandro
Danville/Walnut Creek
South San Francisco with easy access to 101
Anywhere along 280 from Palo Alto to San Francisco
Monterey/Carmel
Golden Gate Park
Livermore

***with the increasing popularity of Plugin Vehicles in the Bay Area, the more DCFC and L2 chargers the better.

I love the idea of a reliable network of QCs that we can count on to extend the ranges of our cars. Unfortunately I don't see the "reliable" part of that equation happening anytime soon, which means ranking QCs is a bit premature. I've only QC'ed a few times myself, but only for "fun", and not because I needed it to get home. I don't think I would ever rely on a QC to get home, because putting my life in the hands of Blink or whatever other flaky company that runs the QC (see the defunct Green360 or the long-defunct, now active (?) Vacaville charger) is a recipe for disaster. I think we have to be realistic about how people will drive electric in the next 10 years, and it won't be through QC-enabled extended-range driving.
That doesn't mean I don't support installing more QCs... I just think that it doesn't make sense for private industry or government to spend the money until there is a better saturation of the total car market. I once thought that we should build QCs to encourage more EV sales, and now I think the opposite.

Best,
Josh

ElectricVehicle said:
What are the Top 10 DC Fast Charger locations you would pick to support San Francisco Bay Area LEAF drivers?
...Enabling travel to the South:...More along Hwy 1 or 101 ?
Salinas
King City
Paso Robles
San Luis Obispo

Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1) from San Luis Obispo to Monterey is a beautiful, but desolate drive and lacks the traffic and infrastructure to support DCQC. Hwy 101 first, though L2 sites on PCH would be welcome.

Enabling travel to the Central Valley would help. Either one of these locations would work.

Lodi
Tracy
Stockton

Gilroy! Gilroy! Gilroy!

In the same factory outlets mall that has the Tesla Superchargers and J1772s.

emc said:
Enabling travel to the Central Valley would help. Either one of these locations would work.
Lodi
Tracy
Stockton
A 30 minute QC gives you about 50 miles at freeway speeds. If you are thinking I-580, your last Bay Area QC is in Pleasanton, and you would be hard pressed to make it to Lodi from there. Lodi and Tracy are unlikely to be destination cities for many, and unless you can make another 50 mile hop from there to a QC, there is really nothing around but Stockton.

Let's face it. The only cities of any significant size in the Valley are Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno, and Bakersfield. To link those with QC's usable by today's LEAF would require a chain of at least 7 QCs (perhaps Sacramento, Stockton, Modesto, Merced, Madera, Kingsburg, Earlimart, Bakersfield).

TEG said:
Gilroy! Gilroy! Gilroy!
In the same factory outlets mall that has the Tesla Superchargers and J1772s.
Gilroy makes sense for Teslas linking to Harris Ranch or Atascadero. But what does it get LEAFs? If you drive gently you can make to Los Banos, but no, there are no public baths there. Not a lot of people, either. Another QC there would get you to Madera (see above), or several small west-side towns, but not to any other cities.

So the bottom line is that it would take 8 QCs to open up the Valley, and even that doesn't cover the north end of the state.

Ray

ElectricVehicle said:

Enabling travel to the South:
1. Gilroy (Hwy 101)
2. Monterey (Hwy 101)
4. Santa Cruz (Hwy 1)
More along Hwy 1 or 101 ?
The one I keep mentioning in such surveys or as submissions to various charge station networks is Los Gatos. As in, bottom of the hill, so you can get over the hill. Santa Cruz is good for those coming back over the hill though.

I live in Santa Cruz and that was a nuisance with my LEAF - takes a quarter of a full charge to get over the hill and I need to keep a quarter in reserve (or top off somewhere) to get back over the hill to get home after doing whatever in the south bay. This made Mountain View, if I took it easy, the limit on a round trip without charging.

As of this month though, that nuisance is past tense as my new RAV4 EV does around 120 miles without needing to "take it easy"! Even the 100 miles at normal 80% charge is plenty. Sweet! Though the RAV4 EV doesn't support any DC fast charging, it does have a 10kw charger on board, but then it doesn't really matter if you can make your trip without needing a charge!

So yeah, Nissan, bring on that real 100 or more mile range!

(If you're interested, my new sweet electric ride: http://crimdom.net/2013/10/brought-home-a-tesla/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

Back