My Leaf replaces...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My leaf replaces my 99 Toyota Camry that I have been driving for ever...Hope to drive the leaf for another 10 years as well.

Aug 5th took it home.

Blue SL W/out Quick charge.

Honolulu, HI.

Our Leaf will supplement, not replace, our 2005 VW Touran 2.0TDI.

It does not have enough range to be our only car, and it lacks a hitch/tow bar.

I predict it will take over about two thirds of the mileage currently done in the Touran.

2006 Maserati Gransport spyder. As someone else said, "like dating a coke-snorting stripper". The opposite of the Leaf in every possible way.

Our LEAF replaced a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe, which sits next to the LEAF in the garage. I've only put gas in it twice since March 22 and use it when we purchase something that won't fit in the LEAF or go beyond range. We also kept, for now, my partner's 2000 VW New Beetle Turbo. It gets about 45 mpg and usually goes to the airport on Monday, sits there all week, and returns at the end of the week. This takes about one gallon of gasoline. The rest of our driving is in the LEAF.

We are waiting to hear more about the Ford Focus plug-in hybrid. If we like what we see and read, we'll trade in both ICE cars to purchase it.

Mostly, it's replacing my '99 Subaru Forester...however, we still have both that and our 2001 Toyota Sienna van.

We had thought we'd hang on to the Subaru for another few years, as the beater car to take to the beach, and eventually as a first car for our older son. Not so sure now. Anyway, it's still there in the driveway.

The Mrs. and I confer on who's doing what driving-wise any given day, and decide who takes the Leaf. Mostly, it's me (heh heh).

I'm driving a 1982 Toyota Starlet with somewhere around 400K miles (odo
no longer works). Until I saw the Leaf, I saw no reason to buy another car
so long as I can keep the Starlet running. (That is getting more and more
difficult as parts are very hard to find for the Starlet. :( )

I just can't see buying another dinosaur. But I got excited about the Leaf!
I will do probably 95+% of my driving and I'm keeping the Starlet for long
distance trips, and the '73 F250 for hauling.

The Leaf will be extending the life of my 1998 K1500 Suburban that has a little over 245,000 miles at this time. The leaf will be driven 5 days a week and the Suburbeast will be driven 2 days a week. By spending the same thing as I would on a low mileage used Suburban, I will enjoy lower fuel and maintenance cost most of the time while keeping the ability to haul stuff and people as needed. It also comes in handy in the occasional ice storm, or dragging a downed tree out of the road.

If nothing changes and the Burb is good for 350K miles, I have 3 years left. More likely scenario is 2 years because we will be traveling more with my daughter in college.

My leaf will be going alongside my Ford Transit Connect. No, not an electric TC, I'm sad to say (though at the prices, my wallet is _glad_ to say that). I plan to commute to/from work with the Leaf and leave the TC at my shop. When I need to take longer trips that require an ICE's range I'll leave the Leaf parked at my shop and take the TC instead.

I'm installing a Leviton charger at home and getting an upgraded nissan EVSE to leave with the car. I'm currently talking to Chargepoint about installing public access stations at my shop since I've got 400a of panel there to play with (yay for industrial cnc/welding shop power!). Since it's only a block from RoadRider there in San Jose I'm hoping to attract the local EV motorcyclers when more of them are riding. Bring on the Brammo Empluse!

2000 Acura Integra with it's combined 22/28 MPG. Since taking delivery of the Leaf, we've basically stopped using gas as our last fill up was about 6 weeks ago, and have found that the Leaf covers 80% of our discretionary driving needs. I drive the Leaf everyday for my 45mile (round trip) commute and my wife drives the Prius for her 3 mile commute when she doesn't want to bike.

I do miss the handling of the little Integra.

Our LEAF will replace a 30 months old Toyota Yaris (5 speed, manual doors, manual windows). This car was bought as an inexpensive and temporary transportation solution until the arrival of the LEAF and after the lease on my MINI expired in 2009.

It will be our only car, I have a Honda maxi-scooter.

2000 Ford Ranger EV.
Actually it wasn't mean to replace it, but attempted use of the Leaf's 120V EVSE to recharge the Ranger caused the Ranger's charger to 'bite the dust'. So the Ranger is on mothballs awaiting a charger repair. Meanwhile I drive the Leaf instead.
The Leaf is noticably more efficient, and the 4 doors and back seats are very welcome after making do with a pickup for many years.

I had 2002 Prius, which I loved (now our second car). Was looking forward to the Prius plug-in hybrid, but it kept being pushed back. Am delighted with the Leaf - exceeds expectations. Now if I could just find a reliable source for lists of public charging stations...

The Leaf will replace a 1986 VW Golf with 230,000+ miles that is deceased, due to a collision with a deer last October. It will drastically reduce the miles being accumulated on my remaining car, a 1996 Jeep Cherokee (with rare manual transmission). The Jeep gets about 23-26 mpg in ordinary driving and will still be used for long trips beyond Leaf range as well as difficult driving conditions requiring 4WD and/or high ground clearance.

I do worry about driving the venerable Jeep enough to keep it in good working order!

The Jeep will also be my tow car when I need to take the Leaf to a dealer for warranty service. The nearest dealers at present are 500+ miles away in Phoenix. By this time next year there should be "Leaf certified" dealers in Denver, only 300 miles and 2 mountain passes away. (The Nissan dealer in my area has no plans to ever sell or service the Leaf.)

Life is different out in the boondocks...

2001 Mazda Protege, 120,000 miles. Loved it, but its time has come. keeping my wife's 2005 Nissan Altima (Best car we have ever owned in 40 years) as the long distance car until it dies. If the Leaf is as good as the Altima, I'll be ecstatic!

Back