LEAFSCAN™ - The Ultimate Instrument for your LEAF!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
poweredbysun said:
Here are some ideas for future projects as the leafscan is hopefully almost done...
A $25 Raspberry Pi with a usb blue tooth to communicate with the Clarion console in the Nissan LEAF would eliminate the display part but require software addition to the existing Microsoft Windoze CE Automotive possibly through the second SD card slot, or it could output directly to another display input using the on board HDMI.
The $25 Raspberry Pi could output using usb wifi to a cell phone application overcoming the limitations of the blue tooth. Cell phone or ipad or ipod would not require any service to use wifi for this application.
Wifi would allow transmission of all data from all buses wirelessly. This data could be processed and displayed by various devices. For example, a "black box" to record all data off the buses and simultaneous gps and time data; a display of the battery temperature, motor and battery amps, state of charge of the battery, rpm of the motor, climate on/off, security system and locks on/off, etc.
Alternatively, the $25 Raspberry Pi could be loaded with a 32Gb Class 10 or better SD card and used as a stand alone black box.
Sorry about being off topic a little here.
I got the Gid Meter from Gary Giddings a couple of weeks ago and it works great! I've been recording and analyzing data from the Nissan LEAF CAN busses and look forward to being able to purchase the leafscan as soon as it is available. Right now I have wirez running all over the front of the car so things look a little clunky. I am not sure if all the wires are a theft deterrent, but I have a co-worker who holds the best theft deterrent he has ever seen is a pair of dirty underwear sitting on the front seat in plain view. Not sure if he is right or not.
Thanks everyone for all the wonderful work you are doing for EV's.
Jim Lynch

Jim: Since I'm technologically and electronicly challenged, I have no idea what you're talking about. But, it sounds good. :?: :roll: In the meantime, I'll just keep driving and enjoying my Leaf.

Wow. I'm really feeling for Phil.

All these requests for "simple" SmartPhone and Wifi support. Clearly nobody on this thread has tried to support a Radio stack and/or BT Profile on a proprietary micro-controller. Even if I was using Windoze CE on the LEAFScan CPU it would take me a few weeks to get a LEAFScan server and SmartPhone client functioning over BT and that's only because the hard part, all the profile connection middleware, is included the Operating System (the Linux based Rasberry Pi would probably have a lot of the basic drivers and BT middleware, but he'd have to start over with the CANBus reader code on the new platform). Unless Phil has access to BT or 802.11 libraries for his micro-controller CPU that support the radios and communications protocols, we're taking many man-months of work for the wireless communications support people are requesting.

Ease up folks. Even something as simple as dumping data logs to an SD card (which IMHO would be more than sufficient) takes a butt-load of work. Give the guy a break.

When the LEAFScan becomes reality we should be so lucky.

Ingineer said:
sparky said:
Which conjures the S. Jobs quote... "Real artists ship." ... with utmost respect.
I never professed to be an artist. REAL Engineers don't ship crap! (Like all the radio/antenna designs in the first 3 iPhones!) ;)

-Phil

LOL... On the other hand, this LeafScan is taking about as long to "perfect" as the Leaf itself did! Might be worth considering production of a version that doesn't include the kitchen sink if for no other reason than to produce it before the leaf itself is end-of-life!

Maybe there should be a web page to sign up, then we get an order date, and then a site-survey to check compatibility with particular leaf is scheduled, we then get an order page to open up, then someone can make a google doc to track vins.. oops, serial numbers, and anticipate deliveries based on fancy statistical calculations! Hah! ;)

Seriously... Maybe it doesn't have to be perfect. That's what firmware updates are for!

aries said:
Ingineer said:
sparky said:
Which conjures the S. Jobs quote... "Real artists ship." ... with utmost respect.
I never professed to be an artist. REAL Engineers don't ship crap! (Like all the radio/antenna designs in the first 3 iPhones!) ;)

-Phil

LOL... On the other hand, this LeafScan is taking about as long to "perfect" as the Leaf itself did! Might be worth considering production of a version that doesn't include the kitchen sink if for no other reason than to produce it before the leaf itself is end-of-life!

Maybe there should be a web page to sign up, then we get an order date, and then a site-survey to check compatibility with particular leaf is scheduled, we then get an order page to open up, then someone can make a google doc to track vins.. oops, serial numbers, and anticipate deliveries based on fancy statistical calculations! Hah! ;)

Seriously... Maybe it doesn't have to be perfect. That's what firmware updates are for!

I think he is working on the physical unit right now and trying to make it as good as possible while still being in the price point that most people would be willing to spend money on.

There's a valid point in there about concept shelf-life, though.
Like many of us, I'm halfway through my LEAF Lease. With the battery degradation and all, it's not likely I'll keep this car for residual cost.
While I remain enthusiastic about the LEAFSCAN, it's probably not the right purchase.

Paradoxically, it might be most valuable to someone who *doesn't* have a LEAF, but is looking to buy a used one.
The question of "battery condition" will be much more important than mileage or model year, and neither the dash nor dealer will give you the straight answer.

Here's an irony. Much of the early BMS hardware for the Prius could be hacked relatively easy. But as of 2010, a whole new hardware product came on line. Here's to hoping the LeafScan will work for GenII Leaf's as well. The more model years, the better.

I certaintly hope LEAFScan development is going well. Certaintly can't fault Phil for wanting to ship a quality product. The charge cord has worked so far without even the slightest issue since getting the upgrade. So sure the scanner will be of the same workmanship. I would just have to decide if I want to keep my Leaf for the long haul before deciding if I want to plunk the money down for the 6.6 upgrade or not.

Sir how much longer until the leafscan is ready, I would love to hear updates on that and the 6.6 charger.

The 6.6 kW charger part is easy: He built a prototype, it works, and there will be no more unless a customer with money and a desire for many of them appears.

Or, I suppose, unless Phil wakes up one morning and someone has cloned a second ingineer. ;)

Well then, I say brothers and sisters, let's bands together and show this "Phil" that we have money and we wish to be enhanced with his devise!

FRANKLY, THIS LATE IN THE GAME WITH MY LEAF, A 6.6kW CHARGER WOULD SIMPLY NOT GIVE ME ENOUGH UTILITY TO BE WORTH THE COST...

Stupid Caps Lock key!

Axemanomega said:
Well then, I say brothers and sisters, let's bands together and show this "Phil" that we have money and we wish to be enhanced with his devise!

TomT said:
FRANKLY, THIS LATE IN THE GAME WITH MY LEAF, A 6.6kW CHARGER WOULD SIMPLY NOT GIVE ME ENOUGH UTILITY TO BE WORTH THE COST...

Stupid Caps Lock key!

While I am waiting with walet open for the leafscan, I agree about the 6.6kW charger. Because of the way the tax credit was structured, I decided to lease my Leaf. One year is down, I will be talking to the dealer again about trading in my lease, and leasing a newer 2013 or 2014. The newer lease deals are such that I can't aford not to. The newer 2013's will offer the 6.6kW charger and if they continue with the current lease prices I will never need the upgrade.

No matter what leaf I get, I will still need the LeafScan. Bring it on. As well as a ER trailer.

It would be nice to have info about LeafScan in some website without having to read 40 pages of posts.

AP1 said:
It would be nice to have info about LeafScan in some website without having to read 40 pages of posts.
Yes, it would be nice, and it's on my long list of things to do when I get LEAFSCAN™ finished. If I did all the "it would be nice if's", I would have zero time to work on anything else. Unfortunately, as it is, all these good deals on closeout 2012 Leafs have me working overtime to keep up with demand for EVSE's and Climate Control upgrades!

Sorry!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
AP1 said:
Yes, it would be nice, and it's on my long list of things to do when I get LEAFSCAN™ finished. If I did all the "it would be nice if's", I would have zero time to work on anything else. Unfortunately, as it is, all these good deals on closeout 2012 Leafs have me working overtime to keep up with demand for EVSE's and Climate Control upgrades!

Sorry!

-Phil

no worries Phil. gotta have butter for that bread! take care of #1, the rest will follow

philipscoggins said:
Phil, add me to your list of LEAFSCAN list

Philip
Sorry, I have no way to add people from the forum. Please drop us a line with your email address and request to be added to the list, that way we can email you when we begin taking orders. (Hopefully soon!)

Thanks!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
philipscoggins said:

Philip
Sorry, I have no way to add people from the forum. Please drop us a line with your email address and request to be added to the list, that way we can email you when we begin taking orders. (Hopefully soon!)

Thanks!

-Phil

Do you reply with a verification email when we are added to the list? I don't want to 'subscribe' multiple times and waste
your precious time just to make sure I'm on the list...

Thanks for all the cool tools...

mig said:
Ingineer said:
philipscoggins said:

Philip

Thanks!

-Phil

Do you reply with a verification email when we are added to the list? I don't want to 'subscribe' multiple times and waste
your precious time just to make sure I'm on the list...

Thanks for all the cool tools...
We add everyone who asks, though we usually don't respond. Don't worry, You'll know when we're ready for ordering!

-Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back