Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
Mine is at 60.20% with 19mV variance. What does it tell me? That my pack is 40% less healthy than yours?

that is exactly what it is saying. now I think your real question is how does the math work? good question!

guessing your measurement is a static one. when full or near it and not moving, my pack always reads between 5 and 20 mV difference. what is your measurement while driving at SOC below 40-50%?

now when moving, the numbers jump around and I have to think its because of poor instrumentation since i get a random cell that will be more than a volt out of sync and i find that unlikely but balance should always be a stress measurement

DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:
Mine is at 60.20% with 19mV variance. What does it tell me? That my pack is 40% less healthy than yours?

that is exactly what it is saying. now I think your real question is how does the math work? good question!

guessing your measurement is a static one. when full or near it and not moving, my pack always reads between 5 and 20 mV difference. what is your measurement while driving at SOC below 40-50%?

now when moving, the numbers jump around and I have to think its because of poor instrumentation since i get a random cell that will be more than a volt out of sync and i find that unlikely but balance should always be a stress measurement

I haven't been paying attention to voltage difference while driving, I will check later today. The above number was indeed at full charge not moving. While I'm more concerned with the capacity for obvious reasons, I'm curious if this parameter is of any importance as a predictor of upcoming issues as mine seems to be pretty low.

Valdemar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Valdemar said:

I haven't been paying attention to voltage difference while driving, I will check later today. The above number was indeed at full charge not moving. While I'm more concerned with the capacity for obvious reasons, I'm curious if this parameter is of any importance as a predictor of upcoming issues as mine seems to be pretty low.

just to reiterate; I do not know anything more than you or anyone else what Hx means. a lot of this I am saying is from the old lead acid days where battery management was all manual and done by me...poorly.

cell balancing is always best at the top end but also is where it means the least. where cell balancing counts is down near the bottom. as the cells discharge, poorly matched cells start to diverge from the pack average. the danger is getting an individual cell discharged to the point where it leaves the pack. its voltage all of a sudden drops to the danger level while the rest of the pack is fine. problem with this is when the cell does this, the voltage drop across it magnifies putting more than its fair share of the burden on it as compared to the other cells in the pack.

this is where permanent cell damage happens. eventually it will not balance at the top anymore. this means its "top to bottom" charge capacity is getting smaller and smaller which means the whole pack suffers.

now, for me right now my delta was running around 25-40ish or so when SOC is below 40%. I have screen shots showing a delta of 17 and 19 with SOC as low as 23% but again, the problem is the numbers jump around a lot so might not mean much of anything and guessing the amount of load is a factor as well.

now as a disclaimer; Nissan packs seem very well balanced so guessing what is really happening is not that extreme and Nissan has mechanisms in place to watch for and counteract this in some part...

**edit** another thing to add about Nissan pack management. I can't help but think there are numbers we are not aware of but if a pack has 300 GIDs and we can get to 284 (94.6 %) or down to 4 (1.3 %) , I have to think they got it backwards. They are apparently not as concerned about the dangers of low SOC as I think they should be or they have great confidence that their BMS can effectively manage cell balance at a very low SOC?

Bug report. If one of the tire sensors is missing it never figures it out and keeps reporting the old value. I thought it might just be the car but LEAFStat shows dashes for one tire.

I traded in my 2011 for a 2014 Leaf, gun medal gray with black leather interior, Bose sound - loving it.
My 2011 battery was one of the early to perish batteries. 14,650 mile and down to 204 GIDs 74% health.

New car ls at 97%soc and 275 GIDs on first full charge(gom 105 miles). The charger seemed to spend the last hour doing battery balancing as it was pulling less than 1Kw during that hour(have saved file of charging screen). Will take a ride to the North Shore tomorrow and see how the battery does.

What is really cool is I finally installed SNAP on my Blackberry 10, which allows one to access the Google Play store and install Android apps on BB10.
I have the charge point app and Leaf Spy Pro running on my Blackberry. The OBD has hung a few times but I was abusing my blue tooth adapter- streaming Pandora to my car audio system, running Leaf Spy logging while charging, even had a phone call come in over car hands free while all this was happening.

BB10 Z10 STL100-3, OS 10.2.1.2179 Leaf Spy 0.31.34

Marlin808 said:
I traded in my 2011 for a 2014 Leaf, gun medal gray with black leather interior, Bose sound - loving it.
My 2011 battery was one of the early to perish batteries. 14,650 mile and down to 204 GIDs 74% health.

New car ls at 97%soc and 275 GIDs on first full charge(gom 105 miles). The charger seemed to spend the last hour doing battery balancing as it was pulling less than 1Kw during that hour(have saved file of charging screen). Will take a ride to the North Shore tomorrow and see how the battery does.

What is really cool is I finally installed SNAP on my Blackberry 10, which allows one to access the Google Play store and install Android apps on BB10.
I have the charge point app and Leaf Spy Pro running on my Blackberry. The OBD has hung a few times but I was abusing my blue tooth adapter- streaming Pandora to my car audio system, running Leaf Spy logging while charging, even had a phone call come in over car hands free while all this was happening.

BB10 Z10 STL100-3, OS 10.2.1.2179 Leaf Spy 0.31.34

if using SOC meter on dash, mine always balances at 97% SOC but when I turn it on, it bounces to 100. report your numbers after you have done a few charge cycles. because my car was brought in from Tacoma (25 miles away) it had a quick charge on it just before it was delivered to me so its readings were max'd out at 67.36 ahr and 284 GIDs

Seems v31.34 responds sluggishly using the Kyocera Event changing pages, settings, reading data, etc. Was not the case with preceding versions.

aminorjourney said:
So... has anyone tried the program in an e-NV200 yet? It's the European launch next week... and I'm going ;)
I was going to try it on an e-NV200 at the Nissan Research Center but the OBDII port was already in use by Nissan's logger hiding in the Glove Box.

Should work since it the same electronics as a Leaf.

91040 said:
Seems v31.34 responds sluggishly using the Kyocera Event changing pages, settings, reading data, etc. Was not the case with preceding versions.
Yes, I have seen that too on the Kyocera. Something is slowing down parts of the program. That and an issue with GPS not being enabled when it should be is holding up the next release.

I have had a few other non Leaf Spy issues to take care of the last few weeks so have not had the time to get back to working on Leaf Spy.

Keep reporting any problems and I will eventually get them fixed.

91040 said:
The "Gestures" library is what is causing the sluggishness. Version 0.31.32 or less do not have the problem. Anything higher does which is when I added the Gestures library to support two finger zoom and one finger scroll for the power and elevation/speed graphs.

Now to find a way to do those functions without the library.

I have one of those Kyocera Event phones as a tester and it is pretty slow. Perhaps I am spoiled by my Samsung Galaxy S4. I was not able to get it working well with my ELM327. Is there a way to not load certain features if it is determined the hardware can't handle it?

Fixed the GPS bug where GPS would not be re-enabled when the app was exited and then restarted. Not sure why this just started to happen since the bug was not clearing the GPS active flag when the app was exited which has always been that way. Might be a bug in the latest B4A compiler since it should have automatically clear the flag when the Service routine was restarted. Anyway flag is now explicitly cleared on exit which will force the code to re-enable GPS on restart.

However, the sluggish behavior is back even though the Gestures library is not included any more. This could be good in that if the problem is something else then I can add the Gestures library back in.

Turbo3 said:
Fixed the GPS bug where GPS would not be re-enabled when the app was exited and then restarted. Not sure why this just started to happen since the bug was not clearing the GPS active flag when the app was exited which has always been that way. Might be a bug in the latest B4A compiler since it should have automatically clear the flag when the Service routine was restarted. Anyway flag is now explicitly cleared on exit which will force the code to re-enable GPS on restart.

However, the sluggish behavior is back even though the Gestures library is not included any more. This could be good in that if the problem is something else then I can add the Gestures library back in.

Wondering if its related to the latest Google Maps update? I am not too happy with the way the maps work now. in most cases its now an extra couple clicks to get where I need to be...

Testers: Sluggish problem identified. Fix coming soon.

I added code to allow me to indirectly monitor the load my app was placing on the device (Kyocera).

With this information I was able to see that it was a screen dependent problem and not caused by the Gestures library. However selecting either of the two new screens that support gestures does cause the problem.

You do not actually need to be looking at either of these two screens to have the problem. Just that they are selected as the screen to show up when you are on the second screen.

The temporary work around for my testers to avoid the slowdown problem is to select either the battery temperature or histogram screen for screen 2. After you select one of those two screens to display on screen two you can then switch to any other screen (battery voltage, two summary screens, service).

In the case of the Kyocera phone adding the two new screens pushed the processor resources over the limit it could handle. Other devices with faster processors probably did not see the problem as they had the processing power to get screen updates done.

The code will be changed to better schedule screen updates to reduce processor loading.

With my load monitoring code I will be able to verify future releases (test or general) do not overload the Kyocera or any of my other slower test devices.

Just uploaded the improved performance versions of Leaf Spy 0.30.23 and Leaf Spy Pro 0.31.35 to the Testers section of the PlayStore.

Screen performance on the Kyocera should be dramatically better. The code that updates the screens has be reorganized to minimize CPU cycles and only update the screen when needed. This freed up CPU cycles that then made communications with the Leaf run faster too. In some cases much much faster.

All testers should upgrade their android device to these improved versions.

Please post both positive and negative findings.

If you have reported a problem with previous versions recheck to see if these versions have fixed the problem.

The bug I introduced recently where the DTC clear button would be active even if no DTCs were set has been fixed. As well as the other bug that listed all ECUs in the selection list even if only one had a DTC that needed clearing. The DTC ECU clear list will only list those ECU that have DTCs.

The built-in help now has descriptions for all columns in the log file.

The Elevation/Speed chart will stop plotting if the speed stays at zero for 5 seconds. So sitting at a stop light will not fill up the screen with zero data.

I have seen an issue on screen 3 where the "miles remaining" value is 0.0 and stays there. If I go to screen 4 and back to screen 3, then it starts working as expected. I have seen this twice, once a couple weeks ago and again this morning. This was with v0.31.34.

I just got v0.31.35, I'll see if it still happens.

Back