Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feature Request:

Short version: I'd like a "Trip Screen". Perhaps it could be screen 3b.

Ideally it would include:
Trip duration, distance, ave MPH, kWh used, kWh/mile, max temp, min PSI, elevation gain, elevation drop.

Elevation gain and drop are two separate measures. E.g., if you went up and down 3 hills that were 200 feet, then you would have 600 ft in gain and 600 ft in drop. If only the resulting 0 ft were shown, that would not be very telling. Three hills is very different from flat.

patrick0101 said:
Feature Request:

Trip duration, distance, ave MPH, kWh used, kWh/mile, max temp, min PSI, elevation gain, elevation drop.

Elevation gain and drop are two separate measures. E.g., if you went up and down 3 hills that were 200 feet, then you would have 600 ft in gain and 600 ft in drop. If only the resulting 0 ft were shown, that would not be very telling. Three hills is very different from flat.
Any suggestions on what would define a trip? User controlled or automatic? If automatic what conditions would define the start and end.

If we can come up with good start/end criteria then perhaps store the last xx trips for later review.

patrick0101 said:
I have seen an issue on screen 3 where the "miles remaining" value is 0.0 and stays there. If I go to screen 4 and back to screen 3, then it starts working as expected. I have seen this twice, once a couple weeks ago and again this morning. This was with v0.31.34.

I just got v0.31.35, I'll see if it still happens.
Just checked and bug is still there in the test version 0.31.35 but will be fixed in the official release version 0.32.36.

Turbo3 said:
Any suggestions on what would define a trip? User controlled or automatic? If automatic what conditions would define the start and end.
I was just thinking of a simple user controlled reset button like the other screens have. Adding a save/restore feature would be cool.

Automatic is an interesting idea. Shifting to/from P-range (park) might be one way. Some drivers shift into neutral while driving, but not generally park.

Using ELM Bluetooth connect/disconnect might be one method, but I (and maybe others) have a cheap ELM that occasionally drops for a few seconds. Maybe brief drops could be ignore?

TimLee said:
Shifting into Park while waiting in drive throughs is common.
Good point.

When I download my trip data from CarWings, they have the trips numbered. How are they doing it? They are likely going from power on to power off. If the number of times the car has been powered on or something similar is available on the CANbus, that might work.

Turbo3 said:
patrick0101 said:
Feature Request:

If we can come up with good start/end criteria then perhaps store the last xx trips for later review.

i would LOVE it if trips could be between charging events. is there anyway that could happen even if LEAF Spy was not running the whole time?

Perhaps: Set an auto-trip flag to Charging Event, or Power Off, or Manual?
Switching to Manual before a Power Off or a Charging Event would
cause that event to not punctuate the trip data.

patrick0101 said:
Feature Request:

I added some test code to try to calculate gain/loss from the raw GPS elevation data.

The results are not good. Just accumulating gain/loss between each one second GPS sample results in very large gain/loss numbers due to the variability between samples (noise). So the noise between samples is the dominant factor overwhelming the actual gain/loss. For my round trip data the gain and loss where off by 283 feet when they should have been the same or close to the same.

You can see this noise in the elevation graphs by just zooming in. Every little up tick or down tick is going to be recorded as a gain or loss. It would actually be even worse if I did not stop recording when the Leaf stopped moving for 5 seconds.

If someone wants to come up with an algorithm to remove this noise so only true elevation changes are detected I could then implement it. I think you would need to look at the overall trend. You can generate test data by taking a drive and then saving the elevation/speed data which will generate a csv file on your SD card for you to try your algorithm on.

I have always found that the elevation data in GPS is "weird" for some reason. I get very inconsistent elevations.

There are a few databases that go from lat/lon to elevation: perhaps we can use one of these to get real elevation data:
http://eros.usgs.gov/elevation-products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site goes from lat/lon to elevation but it might be too low resolution:
http://ned.usgs.gov/epqs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can do the interpretation in the LeafLogger site if we find a database or api call that works.

I can't seem to get any EVSE voltage reading or Ah display on Leaf Spy Pro. I've tried starting the app both before & after charging connection is established, before & after bluetooth connection to ELM 327. Am I missing something? Using v0.31.31.

Sorry if this was covered somewhere already-I've searched and gone thru most of the thread with no luck.

Gazoo said:
I can't seem to get any EVSE voltage reading or Ah display on Leaf Spy Pro. I've tried starting the app both before & after charging connection is established, before & after bluetooth connection to ELM 327. Am I missing something? Using v0.31.31.

Sorry if this was covered somewhere already-I've searched and gone thru most of the thread with no luck.
Unfortunately, Nissan dropped support for reading this information on 2013 or newer Leafs. Only available on 2011/2012 Leafs.

This next version of Leaf Spy/Pro about to be released will only show EVSE data for 2011/2012 Leafs.

Turbo3 said:
Gazoo said:

Unfortunately, Nissan dropped support for reading this information on 2013 or newer Leafs. Only available on 2011/2012 Leafs.

This next version of Leaf Spy/Pro about to be released will only show EVSE data for 2011/2012 Leafs.

:shock: Thanks Turbo3! Yes I have a 2014 Leaf-- hard to believe Nissan would drop this data, since the charger still must record it when talking to the EVSE, but I guess they didn't think it worthy of diagnostics. It's a bummer because it's very good to know the true wattage of charging stations, which can vary a good bit from what's written on Plugshare or Chargepoint. They really should have this on the dash display, not just the plug icon.

Thanks for the great app, still trying to figure out all I can do with it.

jhm614 said:
Is the Kyocera Event still the recommended low cost, non-contract device to run Leaf Spy Pro?

I just got my Leaf three weeks ago and bought the Kyocera Event at Target for $19.95. Everything seems to work smooth with Leafspy Pro so far for me. Plus it's great to have a camera, calculator, GPS app (after rooting) and mp3 player for that price! I'm still a flip phone person--just got the Android for Leafspy and the apps!

I posted an update to LeafLogger.com that looks up the lat/lon value and fills in a corrected elevation. I used Google's Elevation API's for this, which turned out to be pretty simple. This will help us do some efficiency calculation on hills in the future.

Google's API is rate limited so I set this up to run over time (50 a minute for all users, at random) so it may take some time after your upload to get the corrected figures in there. Also only data from 7/1/2014 forward is recalculated. I will move this back to 6/1/2014 some time soon, after I make sure I'm not blowing thru the rate limits. If you have specific requests let me know.

New versions of Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro will be released shortly to correct two bugs.

- In the Log file the L3 count is also written as the L1/L2 count. (Column "DV") Thanks to Brett in Arizona for catching this one.
- Use correct conversion factor for 12 volt battery voltage written to the Log file. The current conversion uses the wrong formula to go from raw Leaf data to voltage. (Column "DP")

I am adding a new feature to the next release that includes the above two bug fixes.

The 12 volt battery voltage that is displayed in the lower left corner will be changed from being the value read from the ELM Adapter to the value read by the VCM ECU (by Leaf). This will improve accuracy since for the ELM value you needed to calibrated it by using the settings menu along with a volt meter.

The 12 volt battery current will also be displayed to the right of the voltage. The only exception is screen 1 in portrait mode which will only display voltage if the screen is too small to fit the current without overlapping the other text.

In the log file column "DP" will be changed from the ELM 12 volt reading to the 12 volt battery current.

With this new current reading you can easily see what conditions put a heavy load on the 12 volt battery and when the Leaf is actually charging the 12 volt battery.

(Minus amps is a load on the battery. Plus amps is charging.)
jnql.png

Back